keep the Q or upgrade to Q2

18 hours ago, Rezinator said:

Very happy with my original Q. I recently walked into a Leica store to check out the Q2, while very nice, I feel no need to upgrade.

Even speaking with the salesperson at the store, they completely agreed...

I had the same feeling checking out the Q2 in the Vegas Leica store. I had my QP on me at the time. I just didn't feel it over my QP.  I just simply feel that the QP gives me everything I need - and with the crazy file sizes of the Q2, the QP is everything that I "want" 

Plus I think the QP just looks cooler.......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hcklr said:

I had the same feeling checking out the Q2 in the Vegas Leica store. I had my QP on me at the time. I just didn't feel it over my QP.  I just simply feel that the QP gives me everything I need - and with the crazy file sizes of the Q2, the QP is everything that I "want" 

Plus I think the QP just looks cooler.......

Err...I think you mean Qooler..

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Rezinator said:

Very happy with my original Q. I recently walked into a Leica store to check out the Q2, while very nice, I feel no need to upgrade.

Even speaking with the salesperson at the store, they completely agreed...

I've decided to keep my original Q because (i) I was able to effectively deal with using it in pouring rain by keeping the holes taped and putting the camera inside my jacket when not actually snapping a pic, ergo I can live without waterproofing and (ii) I really don't need the extra MP's. That said, to anyone who doesn't own the Q or Q2, I'd say they don't know what they're missing!!!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/9/2019 at 11:21 AM, Donzo98 said:

This has been discussed many times on various forums.

It's ridiculous... you can easily get razor sharp images from the Q2 handheld.

The Q2 is better than the Q1... it all comes to what you want/need. Of course, value as well. Money is always a potential issue.

If you are happy with your current set up (Q or otherwise).. stay put.

People are looking for reasons to upgrade vs not. Sometimes it is just as easy to say... "Yeah, I just wanted to".

Did anyone say that sharp images are not possible with the Q2 handheld?  Certainly not I. 

But sharpness is not the issue here. Resolution/detail is. The reason to use a high MP camera is for its superior resolution over a lower MP camera. But higher resolution carries with it greater sensitivity to camera movement when the shutter is open, because the light striking the sensor crosses over more pixels than it does with a lower resolution sensor of the same dimensions. The result is greater loss of effective resolution.

Hence, in order to attain the full detail which a high MP sensor is capable of delivering, greater care in shooting technique is required, so as to avoid camera motion. This is not simply a theoretical consideration. Nikon even mentions it in the technical notes for the D800, a 36MP camera, which means that it should be more relevant for the 47MP Q2. It is worth noting that loss of very fine detail due to minute camera shake may only be visible with great enlargement or magnification. At “normal” viewing sizes, which are what matter to the vast majority of photographers, such a level of detail cannot be seen. Photographers shooting for commercial purposes or making huge prints may genuinely need the resolution boost. 

Edited by robgo2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...