keep the Q or upgrade to Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm on the fence about upgrading, and in retrospect had there not been a backlog filling orders for the Q2, I would have hastily purchased it instead of thinking as I am now whether it's an upgrade I should get. I almost never print, and simply share photos online so I don't need the extra MPs for printing, but yes I would love them only for cropping. As for waterproofing, I have electrical tape on the holes on top of the Q and didn't have a problem while hiking in Scotland last September in very rainy conditions - keeping it under my jacket when the skies opened up but not really keeping the camera dry. But what really has me questioning the upgrade are the images posted in DPR's initial review of the Q2 - largely unimpressive and certainly not at all better than the stellar images that my Q produces. On the plus side, I love shiny new toys, and especially like the reduced buttons and eliminating that damn record button. Joking aside, the main draw for me are added MP's for cropping, but not if the images aren't as good as those of my Q.

Does anyone else have misgivings about upgrading, and/or having upgraded from the Q are you completely happy with your decision (or if you could undo it, would you?).

Edited by brickftl
  • Like 1

I'm completely happy with my decision to upgrade. I rarely print either... but it's nice to have the extra MP when I do.

With that said... if you don't care about 47mp or weathersealing... save the dough.

The images aren't as good as the Q?? Who said that?? They are every bit as good...

Edited by Donzo98

I bought a QP brand new last November when they were announced - and I have absolutely zero intention of upgrading. It's my perfect camera. I never print, and I never use the crop modes. My QP is my day-to-day and travel shooter, and essentially my blog and instagram camera. 

With my current workflow, I edit my images on my 12.9" iPad Pro using Lightroom CC a good amount of the time, and I store all of my QP RAW files in Adobe's cloud - so I have my RAW files available to me on my iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc. I feel that the increased file sizes of the Q2 would really slow down my workflow, and all but cripple it when I edit and upload from a hotel room on my iPad using crappy wifi. 

I'm totally happy with my QP - I plan on shooting it for many years.

• Like 2

This thread resonates with me. After wanting a Q since launch I finally received my Q-P on 4th March. Didn’t get round to unboxing it until 6th. 

Got an email from my dealer on the 7th announcing the Q2. The difference in price being £560 I returned the Q-P and preordered the Q2

Days later I was offered a Q-P used at very good price. I bought it. I’ve used it a bit and I love it. It satisfies me greatly. I crop very little. Print rarely. 

Still have the Q2 on order. For my uses it will obviously have little to offer. Gonna have to make a decision when my number comes up. So far the only reason to own it is Shiny New Toy syndrome as far as I’m concerned.

Sometimes though, I can be a bit shallow..

• Like 3

On 4/8/2019 at 8:58 PM, brickftl said:

I'm on the fence about upgrading, and in retrospect had there not been a backlog filling orders for the Q2, I would have hastily purchased it instead of thinking as I am now whether it's an upgrade I should get. I almost never print, and simply share photos online so I don't need the extra MPs for printing, but yes I would love them only for cropping. As for waterproofing, I have electrical tape on the holes on top of the Q and didn't have a problem while hiking in Scotland last September in very rainy conditions - keeping it under my jacket when the skies opened up but not really keeping the camera dry. But what really has me questioning the upgrade are the images posted in DPR's initial review of the Q2 - largely unimpressive and certainly not at all better than the stellar images that my Q produces. On the plus side, I love shiny new toys, and especially like the reduced buttons and eliminating that damn record button. Joking aside, the main draw for me are added MP's for cropping, but not if the images aren't as good as those of my Q.

Does anyone else have misgivings about upgrading, and/or having upgraded from the Q are you completely happy with your decision (or if you could undo it, would you?).

I have had a very similar experience regarding upgrading to the Q2.  I used a Q2 the day of announcement and then ordered one the following day.  The Q2 felt good, the even simpler set of buttons, the weather sealing and of course the increase in sensor size all made sense for doing an upgrade.  Days passed waiting and I had an honest discussion with myself.  What exactly wasn't my Q doing that the Q2 would fulfill? The images from my Q, even fairly large ones and which I do print, were very, very good.  I've used all my cameras over the years in bad weather and nasty circumstances by using some care and protection and it hasn't stopped me from shooting.  Finally it came down to the increase in the sensor, principally for cropping as opposed to making ginormous prints.  I occasionally crop but it isn't my routine by any means.  What did I really want?  The new on/off switch.  I cancelled my order.  If in time I think  the Q2 will do more for me than the original I may purchase one, but as it is, I'm back to fully enjoying the "classic".  

Edited by beauport
  • Like 3

I think that the OP has answered his own question. If he does not print his photos, then he does not need 47MP. In fact, even 24MP are probably excessive. As for cropping, the Q’s 24MP provide tons of detail, a fact that many people seem to forget. I have made 10x14in and larger prints from fairly heavily cropped 24MP files that look sensational. On a monitor, it would be hard to tell that they are crops. One downside of super-high MP camera’s is that to get the full benefit of the extra resolution, the camera has to be held very still. Any movement and you might as well be shooting a lower resolution camera. IBIS helps but does have limits. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From memory I think the Q2 provides many of the improvements Q owners were asking for in forums such as this. This appears to be reflected in the high level of demand for the Q2. The Leica UK store states "Sold out. We currently have a waiting list of an estimated 5 months". That doesn't mean it's for everyone and I fully understand why some Q owners are very happy to stay with their Qs.

After reading and viewing many, many reviews I have decided to upgrade. IQ seems to have been retained. Low light performance appears to be on a par with the Q with perhaps a very slight degradation that doesn't appear to represent a real world problem - not for me anyway. The massive increase in sensor size (cropping) and the weatherproofing were the clinchers. It's a big decision because as well as giving up my Q I will be selling my Fuji XT system to help fund it. I'm sure there will be occasions when I regret that decision but the test will be how many times will I regret it! I will have a better idea in approximately six months time...

And the Q2 will shortly be challenged by the Zeiss ZX1 in a number of areas - not least in connectivity and storage methods. It looks like an exciting future.

1 hour ago, beauport said:

I have and had a very similar experience regarding upgrading to the Q2.  I used a Q2 the day of announcement and then ordered one the following day.  The Q2 felt good, the even simpler set of buttons, the weather sealing and of course the increase in sensor size all made sense for doing an upgrade.  Days passed waiting and I had an honest discussion with myself.  What exactly wasn't my Q doing that the Q2 would fulfill? The images from my Q, even fairly large ones and which I do print, were very, very good.  I've used all my cameras over the years in bad weather and nasty circumstances by using some care and protection and it hasn't stopped me from shooting.  Finally it came down to the increase in the sensor, principally for cropping as opposed to making ginormous prints.  I occasionally crop but it isn't my routine by any means.  What did I really want?  The new on/off switch.  I cancelled my order.  If in time I think  the Q2 will do more for me than the original I may purchase one, but as it is, I'm back to fully enjoying the "classic".  

this response really strikes a chord with me. I think I'll  hold on to my Q for the time being, wait a good long time to survey what by then will be a good deal of user experiences and then see if the Q2 is the camera for me. And who knows, I may find a good deal on a used Q2 just like I did with my Q when I bought it within a year of its release. By the way, here's what I produced with the Q on my VERY rainy week of hiking in the highlands of Scotland.

https://brick.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-9-London-Scotland/

• Like 2

Just above robgo2 wrote:

"One downside of super-high MP camera’s is that to get the full benefit of the extra resolution, the camera has to be held very still. Any movement and you might as well be shooting a lower resolution camera. IBIS helps but does have limits." 

I wonder if robgo2 or anybody else would care to comment / expand on this quote.

Perhaps somebody can direct me to some Q / Q-P crops.

Edited by Learner

2 hours ago, Learner said:

Just above robgo2 wrote:

"One downside of super-high MP camera’s is that to get the full benefit of the extra resolution, the camera has to be held very still. Any movement and you might as well be shooting a lower resolution camera. IBIS helps but does have limits." 

I wonder if robgo2 or anybody else would care to comment / expand on this quote.

Perhaps somebody can direct me to some Q / Q-P crops.

This has been discussed many times on various forums.

It's ridiculous... you can easily get razor sharp images from the Q2 handheld.

The Q2 is better than the Q1... it all comes to what you want/need. Of course, value as well. Money is always a potential issue.

If you are happy with your current set up (Q or otherwise).. stay put.

People are looking for reasons to upgrade vs not. Sometimes it is just as easy to say... "Yeah, I just wanted to".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Learner said:

Thank you Donzo98... That helps.

Just for completeness...

I had the Q... and sold it a while back for a CL. The CL is really nice, especially with the ability to change focal lengths. Also, a nice compact package with the 23 F2.

Once the Q2 was announced... I was very curious. I actually found one very quickly and jumped on it.

Once I had it hand... I realized how liberating a single focal length is, especially with the 47mp cropping ability.

I just sold my CL... which actually took a few weeks, surprisingly.

In short... if I still owned the Q at the time of the Q2 announcement, I may not have jumped so soon. Since I had the CL, and the option for a "better Q" came along, I jumped on it.

No regrets here for sure.

7 minutes ago, Learner said:

Thank you Donzo98... That helps.

I've been bobbing around among Q, Q-P, and Q2 for a few weeks.

Learner aka John

If you don't have a Q at present... easy decision... Q2 :)

Money wise though... you can get a MINT Q for sub 3K now... so a 2K savings is certainly substantial. If money is not a major obstacle... Q2 all the way.

Here's mine :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

7 hours ago, Donzo98 said:

If you don't have a Q at present... easy decision... Q2 :)

Money wise though... you can get a MINT Q for sub 3K now... so a 2K savings is certainly substantial. If money is not a major obstacle... Q2 all the way.

Here's mine :)

What's the lens cap?