It's April. Are the 35 APO SL-SC's arriving?

I nearly sputtered coffee all over my keyboard this morning when Amanda, who runs the order desk at Glazer's in Seattle, rang to tell me my copy had arrived. (The only one they've seen, so far.) It's very nice, balances nicely on the SL even though it is a couple ounces heavier than the 90SL. It focuses much closer than the 35 Summicron-M, which I especially like. Autofocus is quite snappy. I would have posted a test shot, but I couldn't locate a cat. I'll put out a tin of clams and see who shows up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Chuck Albertson said:

I nearly sputtered coffee all over my keyboard this morning when Amanda, who runs the order desk at Glazer's in Seattle, rang to tell me my copy had arrived. (The only one they've seen, so far.) It's very nice, balances nicely on the SL even though it is a couple ounces heavier than the 90SL. It focuses much closer than the 35 Summicron-M, which I especially like. Autofocus is quite snappy. I would have posted a test shot, but I couldn't locate a cat. I'll put out a tin of clams and see who shows up.

nice! how long ago did you order? Did she mention if they had a big wait list or anything about how many they are getting in?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

nice! how long ago did you order? Did she mention if they had a big wait list or anything about how many they are getting in?

Last summer, when it was going to be released in fall 2018. I believe they have a few others on the wait list, but no idea when to expect further deliveries.

• Thanks 1

I'm at work, so unfortunately can't post photos, but I can report that yesterday, after work, I was able to take the lens out for a quick spin before the sun went down. Early observations: tack sharp, noticeably good rendering of color even when shot open in bright light. I can't really tell you about how the bokeh renders because the things I shot wide open were some distance away. Nonetheless, the lens is here in the U.S., and it feels wonderful to have a native lens so much lighter than the zooms or even the 50 Summilux.  Can't wait to get out and test it in earnest.

P.S. did post one photo on my Instagram @tulip_frenzy.

• Thanks 1

TL Summilux vs SL Summicron.

For some reason I was expecting the new SL f2.0 to be smaller than the f1.4...but it’s significantly larger. I guess I should have read the specs :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

They've even made it to Blighty:

Lemon tart by

• Like 3

vor 3 Stunden schrieb digitalfx:

SL Summilux vs SL Summicron.

For some reason I was expecting the new SL f2.0 to be smaller than the f1.4...but it’s significantly larger. I guess I should have read the specs :)

This looks like the TL Summilux (for CL/TL) and not the  Summilux for FF?

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

This looks like the TL Summilux (for CL/TL) and not the  Summilux for FF?

I stand corrected...I did not realize the lens was APS-C only...I thought it covered full frame and was compatible with the SL. That would explain the size difference though.

Is there a full frame version of the Summilux?

We have severe thunderstorms today, so unable to shoot...but the lens feels very nice and AF is significantly faster than with the TL 35mm. Although the focus ring is extremely stiff...almost too stiff during MF.

It's an interesting comparison of two 35 mm lenses.  Even at f/1.4, the APS-C Summilux is smaller than the new SL APO-Summicron.  But both are smaller than the SL 50/1.4.  Part of the SL APO-SC's size comes from the fact that it shares a common frame and overall layout with the 75 and 90 Summicrons.   This allows it to have room for the full APO set of corrections, internal focusing and dual autofocus motors.  The comparison would get a little crazy if the lens hoods were included.  The 35 SL's hood looks like a cafe umbrella, compared with the still large but cylindrical hood supplied with the CL 35.

Got the Apo-Summicron-SL 35/f2 on Monday April 15 from my local dealer in Vienna, outstanding lens

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

vor 12 Stunden schrieb digitalfx:

I stand corrected...I did not realize the lens was APS-C only...I thought it covered full frame and was compatible with the SL. That would explain the size difference though.

Is there a full frame version of the Summilux?

We have severe thunderstorms today, so unable to shoot...but the lens feels very nice and AF is significantly faster than with the TL 35mm. Although the focus ring is extremely stiff...almost too stiff during MF.

No, it covers only a dx-sensor, so it has a 50mm FOV (compared to a FF 50mm). If you put it on a FF body the camera will crop.

Focus ring: The manual focus of my 75mm/2.0 also seems somewhat stiff.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

It's an interesting comparison of two 35 mm lenses.  Even at f/1.4, the APS-C Summilux is smaller than the new SL APO-Summicron.  But both are smaller than the SL 50/1.4.  Part of the SL APO-SC's size comes from the fact that it shares a common frame and overall layout with the 75 and 90 Summicrons.   This allows it to have room for the full APO set of corrections, internal focusing and dual autofocus motors.  The comparison would get a little crazy if the lens hoods were included.  The 35 SL's hood looks like a cafe umbrella, compared with the still large but cylindrical hood supplied with the CL 35.

It‘s like the hood of the 24-90, just smaller. חג פסח שמח!