The Leica M 10 and its plastic...

Paulus

21 minutes ago, Paulus said:

What about curling? Do they keep the plastic under the stones?

No, they keep the plastic on top of the ice so it doesn't get damaged.  Good condition, second hand ice is hard to find and can fetch a high price.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb farnz:

I understand that the rarity of raw materials for second hand ice is what keeps the price up.

Pete.

Don't mention the climate change! I mentioned it once, but think I got away with it....

• Haha 1

I have always removed the base plate plastic. For one, it reminds me of silly plastic furniture covers. But in the last several years I've asked myself, "Are ya gonna live long enough to care about base plate wear" Of course not. Are you?

A swipe of Gaffer tape is better.

59 minutes ago, willemr said:

Not that uncommon if you have a different strap (more comfortable/adjustable) when you buy the camera. When I sold my old Nikon D300, many of the accessories were still in its original plastics (strap, cables, etc.).

[... deleted - wrong image ...] Sorry, but I'm too stupid to know how to delete the image. Please ignore.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico

vor 9 Stunden schrieb pico:

[... deleted - wrong image ...] Sorry, but I'm too stupid to know how to delete the image. Please ignore.

Very nice M4! 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb mr_big:

The first thing I did when unboxing the camera was to take off the plastic. To me it's like covering your furniture and carpets with plastic.

The Nanny was a great example of " not " unboxing the couch...

• 5 months later...

Hey folks!

I KNOW the thread is very old... and I apologise for replying here! But it would be nonsensical to open a new one...
I'm DYING to remove mine because I just LOVE the simplistic look and it getting marks from the places I been to (I mean it's the ONE thing that basically is replaceable)

So to all of you plastic-foil-removers: 
Those shadows being left behind by the actual electronics sticker, do they eventually disappear? 
I read the longer you wait, the harder it is to remove it. Do you guys think I can get a nice and evenly black bottom plate if I remove it after a year? :P 

This has been commented on extensively on another thread. I believe the consensus was that if you leave it on the camera will slowly dissolve and if you strip it off the camera will self destruct taking your house with it. 🙂  Some people even suggested that you take photos with the camera but that is a little radical.

BTW - I finally removed both labels from my black M10 after the top one degraded to "ugly" condition. 151-proof rum did the trick, although the stickum is, well, recalcitrant. ;)

And yes, a faint shadow of the electronics label remains - should fade with time.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, Paulus said:

Yes, I think this is a real good argument. The factor " art " " craftmanship " and appreciation for the concept of the Leica is important. But in defense of my own actions: I have an MP without plastic and an M240+ M10 with plastic bottom ( that even sounds wrong...). There is a psychological factor of acceptance and letting good ( let it be ) . 

The price and value of the camera especially a new camera is so high and great that it is difficult to let go of the fact, that it is mine entirely. The plastic on the bottom plate gives it a postponing feeling: Once the plastic is yours, you have to accept that you bought an incredible expensive camera and that you are not planning to let the camera go again... 

A few weeks ago a Leica owner said to me with proud: " I removed the plastic on the bottom plate of my M 10. " And I was a little proud of him. He, standing there, fully accepting the consequences of his deed. I admiring him for having the courage to take that extra large step: Taking full ownership and accepting that this camera was his forever. 

Thinking of this moment afterwards, I felt a little strange and decided to make this thread. 

This is the best analysis of this topic. It’s a surrender to owning your camera and withdrawing it from the Leica community. That’s powershopping! 
It reminds me of tatoos, they are a surrender too, giving in to the idea that it belongs to you. Turning in a little part of your freedom to let all the options open.