The Leica M 10 and its plastic...

Paulus

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Michael Geschlecht:

Hello Paulus,

In the 1950's?

There were bicycles way before the 1950's.

Best Regards,

Michael

I know, but did they have plastic? I thought it as all bakelite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

I know, but did they have plastic? I thought it as all bakelite.

Nylon, which is a type of "plastic" (ie a synthetic polymer) was invented in the late 1920's and, according to Wiki, its first commercial use was as bristles in toothbrushes. 

Bakelite was invented in 1907 by Leo Baekeland.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
Dubious reference removed.
  • Like 1

Finally, under pressure from this thread, I gave up - I skinned my M10-D. However, most of the adhesive remained on the cover plate, could remove it with Isopropanol from the drugstore.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i removed the transparent sticker, but haven't removed the black sticker with the product information. didn't plan to do it first, since i was using the handgrip. but eventually decided to just rip it off as the stickers usually get more difficult to remove after being on for a longer time.

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

It resembles a snake losing his skin while growing. 

The next limited edition M10-S (S for Snake) will have a snake skin enhanced bottom plate. The enhanced plate will be available for the previous/regular M10's as well starting at $999,00 (multiple colors/patterns will be available upon launch).

7 hours ago, farnz said:

Nylon, which is a type of "plastic" (ie a synthetic polymer) was invented in the late 1920's and, according to Wiki, its first commercial use was as bristles in toothbrushes. 

Bakelite was invented in 1907 by Leo Baekeland.

Pete.

Hello Everybody,

And there were celluloid plastics in the 19th Century.

Best Regards,

Michael

I think I must be the only person who has duct tape stuck under most of my cameras (Leica or otherwise). If I need to wedge the camera against something (such as a rock or wall) it both protects the base and helps avoid slipping.

But then if I ever bought a 75mm Noctilux I would probably also tape over the front element - just in case of an accident 😂

If you take it off you'll then throw it away and it will end up in the ocean with all the other plastic garbage and some fish will eat it then some bird will eat the fish and it will die and it will all be your fault. SAVE THE PLANET. Keep your base plate plastic covers on.

Edited by fotografr

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 1:32 AM, willemr said:

I always remove the plastic(s). The sole purpose is to protect it during transport (just like the cars on those trailers on the way to the dealerships).

On the M10 I had some problems removing it. It left a nasty sticky residue on the plate. Took some serious scrubbing to remove it. I can see that people leave it on when they're not sure if the object is gonna stay. If you like to sell it shortly after buying, it might give you a 'premium' while selling it. Otherwise I see no reason to leave it on.

Shouldn't been taken off unless is impacting use.

Is including as part of the Leica Service pack if you send in your Leica for Repair/Service. That's where the camera sits most of the time, make sense to have a bit more protection. Without it most likely to scratch up bottom. Even the protective foil is put on by a Leica craftsman.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Gavbo:

Shouldn't been taken off unless is impacting use.

Is including as part of the Leica Service pack if you send in your Leica for Repair/Service. That's where the camera sits most of the time, make sense to have a bit more protection. Without it most likely to scratch up bottom. Even the protective foil is put on by a Leica craftsman.

Where did you find this? Could you tell us your source/hyperlink? 

32 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Where did you find this? Could you tell us your source/hyperlink? 

Here was my recent repair form from Leica, same service across all Leica M's

IMO replace indicates that they remove the old one, and put on a new one.

And if it shouldn't be removed under normal circumstances they should mention that in the quick-start-guide. Or put it on the box: Please do not use this camera. It ruins the pristineness of the camera. In fact, just leave it in the box.

Edited by willemr

vor 12 Stunden schrieb IkarusJohn:

I’ve got a new sofa coming for my office. Should I take the plastic off?

Consider if you are going to sell it in a year and if you want the ad to read: "Almost new couch, still wrapped in plastic. " 

Still I have put little plastics+ felt under my couch so they will not scratch my wooden floor....so if you don't want to scratch the wooden floor with your Leica, it better stays covered with the plastic...

What about curling? Do they keep the plastic under the stones? 

• Haha 1