The Leica M 10 and its plastic...

Paulus

It would be an interesting additional question if we knew who takes the plastic off and then treats their camera like a new born baby, or who keeps it on and is happy to push their camera across a table or put it down on a wall? The whole debate is counter intuitive in my reading, many people take it off because they want the perfect embodiment of their camera, but then over protect it in other ways that mean it's always in a bag not ready to make a photograph. 

I keep the plastic on, but I'm the 'rest it on a wall' type. I don't have a fit over damage to the finish, and accept in hard use it can happen, but I'm not into gratuitous damage that is simple to avoid. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 250swb said:

It would be an interesting additional question if we knew who takes the plastic off and then treats their camera like a new born baby, or who keeps it on and is happy to push their camera across a table or put it down on a wall? The whole debate is counter intuitive in my reading, many people take it off because they want the perfect embodiment of their camera, but then over protect it in other ways that mean it's always in a bag not ready to make a photograph. 

I keep the plastic on, but I'm the 'rest it on a wall' type. I don't have a fit over damage to the finish, and accept in hard use it can happen, but I'm not into gratuitous damage that is simple to avoid. 

I remove the plastics and put the camera on / against walls or poles if needed. It rubs against the zipper of my coat/jacket while I carry the camera around my neck, and I handle it in the rain. It even bumps against people / object while walking around. It's a camera, created to be used. Not an investment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveco said:

Is there a part number for the plastic cover?  I would like to replace mine as it is starting to get a bit worn...........😄

Part number not found, some solutions exist in my knowledge :

- you may buy new base plate to obtain new plastic cover

(just transfer this new cover to your now base plate ! )

or

- why not buy another new M10 ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Part number not found, some solutions exist in my knowledge :

- you may buy new base plate to obtain new plastic cover

(just transfer this new cover to your now base plate ! )

or

- why not buy another new M10 ?

Better still, why not have a separate section on the classified  buy/sell section for as-new but disliked, and used (unloved)  baseplate SWAPS. That would cater for both tastes. 🤓

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have these stickers changed since the M10-P release? I got mine when they were first released and the bottom was uneven due to the bump create by a sticker underneath the clear one. Is it still the same?

Mineral oil removes any adhesive without damage to the camera. 

14 hours ago, ontick said:

Have these stickers changed since the M10-P release? I got mine when they were first released and the bottom was uneven due to the bump create by a sticker underneath the clear one. Is it still the same?

Mineral oil removes any adhesive without damage to the camera. 

I still have the plastic on my 2003 film MP and the sticker underneath has gone yellow and squidgy with age. I know the plastic can eventually start to peel and you're forced to say 'enough is enough' but this has lasted far beyond my wildest expectations, and that sticker seems to be evolving into something else.

I always pull it off, it ruins the handling : plastic feeling instead of good chrome/laquered brass. 

Why pay so much to protect it for the next owner ?? Looks like a developing world habit to cover leather sofa within plastic bag. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 8:51 AM, daveco said:

Is there a part number for the plastic cover?  I would like to replace mine as it is starting to get a bit worn...........😄

Hello Dave,

You could replace your plastic cover in pieces with cut to fit masking tape. 

Don't forget to cut out the 1/4 - 20 tripod hole. And you don't have to cover the opening key.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

vor 2 Stunden schrieb adan:

It takes a Leica forum to devote 36 posts to a bit of packing material. Next up - "unplasticing my M10" youtube videos.

This could become a world wide movement....😉 

5 hours ago, farnz said:

I take the plastic protection off the bottom plate and transfer it to the front element of my lens to protect it instead.  I haven't found a glue that lasts more than a few months - any suggestions?

Pete.

You probably had some faulty plastics. Just contact Leica Support and request new plastic foil. They send it per square meter.

The plastic protection of my bottom plate had the actual Leica glue that sticks forever. Round 80% of the glue was rather attached to the bottom plate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@adan: not an actual de-plastisizing video, but getting there 🙂.

• Haha 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb farnz:

I take the plastic protection off the bottom plate and transfer it to the front element of my lens to protect it instead.  I haven't found a glue that lasts more than a few months - any suggestions?

Pete.

Tar should be the glue of choice, protects the sensor as well...

• Haha 1