The Leica M 10 and its plastic...

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just curious. While looking used-Leica-ads I realized I was one of the persons who still has the plastic under all his cameras. You know at the bottom. 

I saw an ad from a M6 " Like new: plastic still on the bottom plate." 

Why do we do this, I asked myself. Only for the resale value, or is it something bigger. We remove the plastic from the screen ( I hope ) because it's in the way and at the bottom plate it isn't. If it had to do something with scratching, do people remove their plastic if they have a ever-ready-case or protector?

Do people in other countries also have this habit to keep the plastic under the camera, or it is because the dutch are so cheap? 

So who hasn't removed his plastic from his M 10 and did you never remove any of you other Leica M's ? 

Edited by Paulus

14 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Just curious. While looking used-Leica-ads I realized I was one of the persons who still has the plastic under all his cameras. You know at the bottom. 

I saw an ad from a M6 " Like new: plastic still on the bottom plate." 

Why do we do this, I asked myself. Only for the resale value, or is it something bigger. We remove the plastic from the screen ( I hope ) because it's in the way and at the bottom plate it isn't. If it had to do something with scratching, do people remove their plastic if they have a ever-ready-case or protector?

Do people in other countries also have this habit to keep the plastic under the camera, or it is because the dutch are so cheap? 

So who hasn't removed his plastic from his M 10 and did you never remove any of you other Leica M's ? 

Hello Paulus,

If it protects the camera & it doesn't get in the way of doing anything: Why would a person remove it in the first place?

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

I guess I have to ask -"Why take it off?" It's not all that easy - and time wasted that could be used for taking pictures.

There is probably a good resale value in not having a scratched bottom, but I wouldn't advertise the plastic still being in place - sounds too "prissy-prissy" to me. ;)

I had to check: I note that at some point I removed the plastic on the bottom of my original chrome M10, but the plastic on my black M10 is still in place.

Probably because silver chrome shows wear a bit less (the underlying (nickel?) sub-plating is also silver) and as the plastic acquires scratches, they fill in with dark grime (or the plastic eventually starts to come off in tatters by itself, as scratches become "cuts" in the plastic).

• Like 1

Paulus, you are not alone, I keep the plastic on my M6 cameras from 1986 and 1991 and on my M10-D (no photo).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I always remove the plastic(s). The sole purpose is to protect it during transport (just like the cars on those trailers on the way to the dealerships).

On the M10 I had some problems removing it. It left a nasty sticky residue on the plate. Took some serious scrubbing to remove it. I can see that people leave it on when they're not sure if the object is gonna stay. If you like to sell it shortly after buying, it might give you a 'premium' while selling it. Otherwise I see no reason to leave it on.

To each his own...

There are also people that dont remove the stickers of their new TV, so everybody knows you have the new HDR TV :)

The Sticker on the bottom is mainly for protection during production/packaging and normally should be removed. Like the protection films on new cars.

But everyone can do it like one wants. mine are without any Stickers and I never had a problem on resale.

1 hour ago, humerc said:

The Sticker on the bottom is mainly for protection during production/packaging and normally should be removed. Like the protection films on new cars.

Funny, and OT, but I had a local who found the thick, nearly invisible stick-on sculptured pads on his Toyota's exterior and promptly removed them. Toyota is highly focused upon streamlining and he removed the goodies that, among other things, kept road debris from ruining the paint in the slip-stream.

OT, yeah, I always remove the bottom plate plastic. Confession: I also rip off the tags on mattresses and pillows that forbid such. Waiting for the linen police...

Edited by pico
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

Have you actually read the tags?

Sure. What do they convey of importance and WTF should we care? It is just bull.

Edited by pico

I never bothered to remove the bottom sticker on my Leica M6’s and Nikons, On the M10 variations it’s different. It’s like a sticker over another label. Most of the M10-P sticker was flat to surface, but the other info label beneath created a bump. It’s the bump that moved me to remove the entire sticker.

How else ya gonna brass it?