Monochrom CCD first compared to M246 CMOS ?

a.noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, dkmoore said:

+1

something went wrong in this test. I have an M246 (have had a few) as well as have owned the M9M and I agree. The M246 is cleaner at every ISO above 800 if memory serves.

Oh dear. A lot of misunderstandings, and a mistake at my end. This was not meant to be a definitive test, but rather an observation. The comparison was between an MM (BW) and an M240 (shooting in color). The processing was done for both in C1. Unfortunately, I mistakenly compared the M240 jpg, not the raw file. That was the cause of the "brittleness" in the M240 file. Apologies to the group.

The processing has now been redone with the same settings (highlight and shadow) used on the raw M240 image. The original is in color,  converted to  BW with one of the C1 profiles. The difference is less than before, but some remains. The raw files and 100% crops can be downloaded, if anyone else wants to take a crack at this. 

M240 file, with the  M240 100% crop from C1

MM file , with the MM 100% crop from C1

The goal was not to critique the M240, rather to ask if others have seen any differences. The MM still seems to have the smoother transition. The M246 would be cleaner yet, this was about the M240 and the MM. 

• 1 month later...

Yes my M (typ 246) gives really clean files, like fine grain film in medium format (or even bigger format), for me not suitable for every subject,

but in field use, the MM1 CCD sensor has something more I can not define.

Something very difficult to see clearly if not use for a wide varieties of subjects, for a while.

So to conclude with my months of using the two, for a while I keep the two Monochrom as two different Monochrom.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...