Learner

Handling Q2 files ... Lightroom or Capture One or xxxxx ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is viewed as the best way to handle / edit / manage Q2 files... Capture One or Lightroom or xxxxxxxxx?

Could be my ignorance of these matters, but I’ve been disappointed with LR handling of the Q2 files.  Came from Sony RX1RII and A7, which LR handles amazingly - subtle processing possible.  The Q2 (and SL) just aren’t as maleable IMO.  Could be doing it wrong.

Posted (edited)

One tends to like the software that receives the most time and attention.  Each requires a learning curve and has enough controls and features to do the job, but a lot comes down to personal tastes regarding interfaces and workflow. Free trial downloads are available, but nothing trumps experience.  This is like asking about Canon vs Nikon; camps are formed and opinions are hard to change.  A survey will not give you the ultimate answer, but chances are you’ll be happy with any system once you take the plunge and make the effort to learn.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I agree with Jeff. I used Lightroom ever since version 1.0 but finally abandoned it when the subscription model was imposed (purely a matter of my personal bias against subscription software so don't let's start a discussion about that!). I then moved to Capture One (having also tried it many years previously but then given up in favour of Lightroom). Capture One has a rather steep learning curve but is incredibly versatile and seems to work very well with both Leica Q and Leica Q2 files. It's unfortunate that its catalogue abilities are not so good as those of Lightroom but they are good enough for me until the Photo Mechanic catalogue software is released (of which I have high hopes).

In essence, a long way of saying "horses for courses": try both and see which you prefer!

Stephen

4 hours ago, leicamario said:

It’s all about mobility for me (iPad), unfortunately Capture One lacks here.

How does Lightroom CC on the iPad handle the Q2 raw files?

vor 26 Minuten schrieb T3chbuff:

How does Lightroom CC on the iPad handle the Q2 raw files?

It's amazing. I'm using my iPad Pro 2018 11" and I'm really happy with the performance. If I need more than basic adjustments / coloring / brush edits, I export it to affinity photo for advanced skin retouching etc. Works like a charm. The only "downside" is the file size. I'm thinking of selling my current Pro since it has 64 GB. I'm planing to get the 256 GB version.

13 hours ago, Pixelements said:

It's amazing. I'm using my iPad Pro 2018 11" and I'm really happy with the performance. If I need more than basic adjustments / coloring / brush edits, I export it to affinity photo for advanced skin retouching etc. Works like a charm. The only "downside" is the file size. I'm thinking of selling my current Pro since it has 64 GB. I'm planing to get the 256 GB version.

That’s awesome! I am waiting for the Q2 (I preordered it) and have been debating on just getting a Q1 purely for the smaller raw file size (I don’t need to print large). It’s good to know that the iPad Pro handles the Q2 raw files well! Now if B&H can get their act together that would be awesome 😂

6 hours ago, T3chbuff said:

That’s awesome! I am waiting for the Q2 (I preordered it) and have been debating on just getting a Q1 purely for the smaller raw file size (I don’t need to print large). It’s good to know that the iPad Pro handles the Q2 raw files well! Now if B&H can get their act together that would be awesome 😂

I was worried about speed as well, but I've only noticed small (~0.1 seconds) delay sometimes when applying some profiles. Delays are definitely more pronounced on the iPhone X.

7 hours ago, jbripley said:

I was worried about speed as well, but I've only noticed small (~0.1 seconds) delay sometimes when applying some profiles. Delays are definitely more pronounced on the iPhone X.

Are you importing the raw files to your iPhone Via a card reader or the app?

2 minutes ago, T3chbuff said:

Syncing through Lightroom CC

I've had a similar question as to which software to use after I abandoned all things Adobe because of subscriptions.  For now, I've settled on the new DXO PhotoLab 2 ( for RAW conversion) and the relatively new ON1 product for final editing.  Since I don't have my Q2 yet, I can't give much information on these products, except to say that ON1, being new, is missing many of the things in Photoshop.  However, I will make do.  I will probably create a post after I actually use the products (though both products have their own forums).

Having left Adobe, I did find out something unexpected (as least for me).  If you use Adobe's DNG converter software to convert, say, a non-native DNG-creating camera (such as Leica IS native DNG)--for example, Sony ARW files (which I have done), I found that the converted DNG files may not be readable in other software that can process DNG files.  So, if a product claims to process (read, for example) DNG files, I think they refer to native DNG files.  A DNG file created from, say, a Sony RAW file (&probably other cameras) is no longer a native DNG file.  It was a big mistake on my part to convert all my Sony ARW files to DNG using the Adobe DNG converter, and then deleting the original ARW files!  I believe the only way to 'get them back' would be to use the free trial membership to Adobe when buying Leica cameras, and then converting all the 'DNG' files to Photoshop files (which some products, such as ON1, can read.  I don't have any Photoshop files because I converted them all to layered TIF files in Photoshop (in order to remove problems with a potential future move  away from Adobe.  However, ON1, while supports layers, and Photoshop layered files, does not support TIF layered files!  All this is interesting to me, and hope it helps other people moving away from Adobe.  NOW, when I get the Q2, re-sign up for the free Adobe product, I will convert all my layered TIF files to Photoshop files, which can be read by ON1, and probably some other image-editing software.

2 minutes ago, tnturnerx1 said:

I've had a similar question as to which software to use after I abandoned all things Adobe because of subscriptions.  For now, I've settled on the new DXO PhotoLab 2 ( for RAW conversion) and the relatively new ON1 product for final editing.  Since I don't have my Q2 yet, I can't give much information on these products, except to say that ON1, being new, is missing many of the things in Photoshop.  However, I will make do.  I will probably create a post after I actually use the products (though both products have their own forums).

Having left Adobe, I did find out something unexpected (as least for me).  If you use Adobe's DNG converter software to convert, say, a non-native DNG-creating camera (such as Leica IS native DNG)--for example, Sony ARW files (which I have done), I found that the converted DNG files may not be readable in other software that can process DNG files.  So, if a product claims to process (read, for example) DNG files, I think they refer to native DNG files.  A DNG file created from, say, a Sony RAW file (&probably other cameras) is no longer a native DNG file.  It was a big mistake on my part to convert all my Sony ARW files to DNG using the Adobe DNG converter, and then deleting the original ARW files!  I believe the only way to 'get them back' would be to use the free trial membership to Adobe when buying Leica cameras, and then converting all the 'DNG' files to Photoshop files (which some products, such as ON1, can read.  I don't have any Photoshop files because I converted them all to layered TIF files in Photoshop (in order to remove problems with a potential future move  away from Adobe.  However, ON1, while supports layers, and Photoshop layered files, does not support TIF layered files!  All this is interesting to me, and hope it helps other people moving away from Adobe.  NOW, when I get the Q2, re-sign up for the free Adobe product, I will convert all my layered TIF files to Photoshop files, which can be read by ON1, and probably some other image-editing software.

I find your comments very interesting and pretty much what I concluded awhile ago about converting my Leica DNG files to Adobe DNG to save space. I did a few then stopped for the exact reason you describe. I will put up with the files being huge in order that I have the capability to switch to other post processing programs down the road. I likewise keep all my Canon .cr2 files as original and not converted. GOOD catch on your part. Sorry for the hassle you have trying to recover. 

I used iPad Pro and Affinity photo to process my Q2 DNGs.  It’s pretty good as a raw editor and developer but not great for overall file management solution.  But I’m just a hobbyist so works fine for me.  Anyone else ...?

3 hours ago, iQ2 said:

I will put up with the files being huge in order that I have the capability to switch to other post processing programs down the road.

This is a vexing issue with RAW files. There is such a huge personal investment in any RAW processing program (I know—from my own change from Lightroom to Capture One when Lightroom went subscription only). The prospect of future change—and presumably having to redo all of the old images (because the processing would not be recognised in the new program)—is not one I consider with any degree of comfort.

I do convert my Q2 images to Adobe DNG to save space and Capture One deals with them perfectly. Although this is the first time I've understood that other programs in the future might possibly not do so I shall continue doing converting the files. Maybe it's foolish but at present I can't really contemplate another change of RAW processing program!

Of course the other vexing issue with RAW processing programs is their interaction with digital asset management programs (i.e., cataloguing software for your photos). Lightroom users are doubtless content to stay within Lightroom for that but I suspect others (like me) will be looking at programs like Photo Mechanic Plus for the cataloguing. The vexing issue, of course, is that you don't see your processed images in the catalogue—but only the original RAW images.

Nothing is ever quite perfect in this world, is it?

Stephen

Am 9.4.2019 um 18:45 schrieb T3chbuff:

That's possible, but only through Apples App "Photos". I use a shortcut to avoid having all photos double on my devices:

https://medium.com/@ajg/auto-importing-photos-into-lightroom-on-ios-is-finally-possible-with-this-shortcut-674dbda4ded7

With the coming iOS13, we'll have the possibility to import direct into Lightroom. :)

Before buying the Q2, I was already on my way to move away from Lightroom, I didn't have a subscription and mostly used on1. I bought Affinity Photo, on1 and Luminar - also tried Capture One, but the UX/UI is just not for me. on1 doesn't have lens correction for the Q2 (though you can approximate it manually), and LR catalogue import is not working correctly for most of my photos - and it crashes sometimes. Luminar doesn't have a decent management (actually it's not much more than what I see in the Finder already), and it's rather slow, but I like its raw processing and filters quite a bit.

Recently I edited the same photo, which had architecture, some trees and people in it, in each of them. I got the best results in LR and Luminar3 - I actually preferred the "post-card" look that Luminar allowed me to create, but that's very subjective. on1 was close, but introduced some issues in micro-contrast that I couldn't get rid of easily. The raw processing in Affinity was rather underwhelming, whatever I did in there, I just didn't like the result (I'm just a hobbyist, so maybe I just did something wrong there).

The three free months of Adobe are nearly over for me - and I'll stay with it for now, as 12€ a month is acceptable for me, and since I have an iPad Pro, this will also give me the opportunity to pre-edit on the go. I will keep using Luminar as a plug-in. Maybe in another year or two one of those alternatives will be sufficient for my demands.

Consider Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop. Much steeper learning curve than LR, but once you feel comfortable, you are really in control of the process. Alternatively, a lot of folks love DXO Photolab2 as a raw developer. I often use it with the Q (it doesn't support the CL, much to my deep disappointment). It is widely considered to have the best noise reduction and offers a lot of creative control. 

I like Luminar, but often it produces too much artificial effects, but, as you say, it's a matter of personal taste. If you want to mess around with presets, i think the best is still the Nik collection, now by DXO, which keeps things under control and quite specific in application. Its Silver Efex Pro2 is the classic B/W conversion, but the rest of the collection is quite effective as well.

I've been in the process of moving away from Adobe - albeit very slowly since my requirements have changed over time. At first, I just wanted something that could replace my LR usage on my iMac. But, as I've used LR Classic & LR CC in conjunction across multiple devices I've really grown to appreciate the ability to work anywhere and at anytime. This has now become my #1 requirement. I'm currently considering Photos + Luminar 3 as an extension since I want a solution that allows me to continue working across all my devices. I just don't like that the exchange with Luminar is JPG. I'd prefer TIFF or even HEIC.