Canon EF to Leica CL adapter, Sigma MC-21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like the Sigma MC-21 adapter might work for Canon lenses.  For Sigma lenses it will work on the SL and CL unlike the Novoflex.  One article I read says it will work on Canon, one mentioned it might work on some Canon lenses.  I hope it works with the Canon lenses.  I know the lenses will be big on the CL, but at least it will give me some options until I can build up a better Leica lens collection.

• Like 1

I believe you are correct, I just noticed another post here about that adapter.  Apparently any camera made before the “L mount alliance” was announced will not work with it.  Makes no sense but I guess Leica doesn’t want 3rd party lenses to take away lens sales.  I suppose the future Leica camera bodies will take them but they don’t exist at this time.  

Compatibility with other cameras
When we announced the MC-21 on February 26th, 2019, we mentioned that it was compatible with cameras manufactured by Leica Camera AG. However, the specifications have changed and it will not be compatible with Leica’s existing L-Mount cameras. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this situation may have caused.

from sigma-global.com

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2019 at 5:38 AM, Jaclo said:

I believe you are correct, I just noticed another post here about that adapter.  Apparently any camera made before the “L mount alliance” was announced will not work with it.  Makes no sense but I guess Leica doesn’t want 3rd party lenses to take away lens sales.  I suppose the future Leica camera bodies will take them but they don’t exist at this time.  

If they did not want that they would not have gotten involved in the L mount alliance in the first place..The whole idea is to make it possible to mix and match brands with both cameras and lenses.
I am sure that the reason is purely technical. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, stephengv said:

Any update on this topic? Considering the new firmwares, will Canon EF via Sigma work on the CL?

Situation still the same. Just returned the MC21 I had bought online for my CL a few days ago from Mediamarkt, "Lens firmware not supported. Etc..." Major annoyance

• Thanks 1