Is there a way to configure CL Setting like Ricoh GR's "Snap Focus"?

@Nowhereman 

The big advantage of the new  GRIII is that it has a relatively fast lens as well as good high ISO + snap focus so it's usable in low light when I want a small, light & discreet camera. The wider angle 21/25mm Voigtlander lens options I'm considering for my CL are pretty limited in low light so I may very well be tempted by the GRIII at some point. I still miss my old GRD4 though....I've got A1 sized exhibition prints from it that are hard to distinguish from M9 prints.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:17 AM, hemlock said:

if you're shooting such close range (which I like to do sometimes) then centre spot focus with the CL + 18mm has a higher hit rate than the other focus modes. I miss focus if I'm in too much of a hurry with face recognition. I don't know about the new GRIII but I prefer the smaller sensor GRD3 or 4 to the GR2 for close range shots.

I'was using face recognition last few days and miss some focus, din't use centre spot focus much, guess I'd try it sometime... 

Guest Nowhereman
On 4/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, hemlock said:

The big advantage of the new  GRIII is that it has a relatively fast lens as well as good high ISO + snap focus so it's usable in low light when I want a small, light & discreet camera. The wider angle 21/25mm Voigtlander lens options I'm considering for my CL are pretty limited in low light so I may very well be tempted by the GRIII at some point. I still miss my old GRD4 though....I've got A1 sized exhibition prints from it that are hard to distinguish from M9 prints.

I agree about the GRD4: luckily I never sold mine, despite not having used it since 2013. While still in Bangkok, I took it out and started shooting with it again to reacquaint myself with the interface; that was in anticipation of going to Paris two weeks later, where the Ricoh dealer had told me he would have a GR3 for me on March 19. But I still thought I wouldn't buy the GR3 because I was thinking about backing away somewhat rom street photography; but in the end couldn't resist when I saw the camera in Paris. That, and having been shooting again with the GRD4, brought back the feeling I have always had that the small Ricoh digital cameras were the contemporary Barnack camera — liking them the way I had liked the Leica IIIc years ago.

Now, I'm happy with the GR3. I'm surprised at how much I like the 35mm/50mm EFOV crop facility, and how good it is. On the GRD4, I had missed the 40mm EFOV tele-converter of the GRD2. If you are still interested, I now have the link to some of my pictures with, and thoughts about, the GR3: you can start with this post and continue until this postunder the name of "TempUser" since I'm having trouble with the "Mitch Alland account on the FM Forum.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although the rendering is not quite to my taste, Mitch (I think I would call it a bit on the "digital' side -  de gustibus etc....), I can fully see why you are happy with your images, I do like the colour.

Guest Nowhereman

Jaap - I agree with you on the rendering: these are the initial images and I still have to work out what sort of B&W I want — that's easier to do in the context of a project. For example, the two B&W images of the "TempUser" post wouldn't work for my book project — they would have to be "less digital" or "less medium-format" :D

Edited by Nowhereman

On 4/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, jaapv said:

We tend to forget that autofocus is just a dumb automechanism to focus the lens. In the end it still needs a photographer to tell it what to focus on.

There are two ways to use AF: tell the camera where to focus (my preferred kind) and expect the camera to find the correct focus point (eye, face, wide-area focusing). Unfortunately, many buyers are judging the cameras by the second focusing approach only, as the first approach requires more practice and work.

Edited by SrMi

Guest Nowhereman

^ Sure, but the AF of the GR III is too slow in low light — the lens slowly going in and out before finding focus — even when you use any of the selective focus facilities. However, I think this is a great camera and like it a — and this doesn't bother me at all because, for dynamic situations in low light, I use Snap Focus, which is easy since the 28mm lens has a large depth of field; and for static subjects the speed of the AF is not important.

Edited by Nowhereman

Guest Nowhereman
On 4/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, jaapv said:

Although the rendering is not quite to my taste, Mitch (I think I would call it a bit on the "digital' side -  de gustibus etc....), I can fully see why you are happy with your images, I do like the colour.

@jaapv - You may want to look at this image, which is my first step in going in the direction of high contrast more expressive images that I like and which shows GR III to be malleable, even when using the 50mm EFOV crop facility.

It tells me more about your skills than the camera's ;)  I really like the moody, low-key effect. If may add a personal opinion, I would like a hint of detail in the shadows,, i.e.the left-hand side of the face  but I am unsure whether the lens is capable of differentiating such subtle tones..

Guest Nowhereman

@jaapv - No the lens is very good in this respect: on the page before the latter image I posted a color version (p.4 #19), which has some more shadow detail in the left-hand side of the face — and the OOC version, of course, has still more. Sorry for the late response.

• 1 month later...

After trying the GR III twice, I am really seduced. 

Totally imperfect camera, really so many flaws. But at the same time, so small. Really pocketable, much more than Sony RX100s. Because the Ricoh is 1 cm thinner. Thickness is what counts for your jeans pocket. 

GR III is not perfect, but it is a mighty little camera. Love the 21mm wide converter, even if it doubles the GR III weight. 

Having in less than 500g a dual focal camera 28mm f/4.2 + 21mm f/4.2 FF equivalent is quite awesome. 

Only 15 buttons or dials with the GR III same count than the CL. Much less than the 25 used by D-Lux 7 / LX100 II

Seriously considering buying it next week. Seems to make more sense than upgrading Q to Q2