a_b-c

Is there a way to configure CL Setting like Ricoh GR's "Snap Focus"?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I'm interesting in new Ricoh GR III recently, and I just know that it has a so called "Snap Focus" mode, I wonder is there a way to let CL do that? 

I've tried setting the Right Wheel Button to Focus Mode and it's fine, but when I switched to AF and focus to shoot, then switched back to MF, I had to refocus the manual focus ring to the focus distance I was set.

Is there a way to let CL remember my pre-setted focus distance when switch between AF and MF?

Edited by a_b-c

Posted (edited)

Yeap, buy a TL2 instead, it gives you a digital distance and depth of field scale. That CL mysteriously lacks. Even T and TL got it. 

Or buy a proper M lens. They come with real scale engraved. 

Otherwise just rely on its fast AF. Only slow AF camera such as GRs needs and rely on Snap mode. 

Edited by nicci78

it's the feature I miss most on the CL....and something Sean Reid criticized in his review too. A 'mistake' he called it.

27 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Only slow AF camera such as GRs needs and rely on Snap mode. 

the T/TL/TL2 don't have anything like the GR's Snap focus..and the GRiii focus is fast

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Yeap, buy a TL2 instead, it gives you a digital distance and depth of field scale. That CL mysteriously lacks. Even T and TL got it. 

Or buy a proper M lens. They come with real scale engraved. 

Otherwise just rely on its fast AF. Only slow AF camera such as GRs needs and rely on Snap mode. 

How is that? Isn't this a software thing or TL2 has something inside body CL doesn't?

CL's AF is fast but sometimes I still think snap mode is cool even I haven't try it before...

1 hour ago, hemlock said:

it's the feature I miss most on the CL....and something Sean Reid criticized in his review too. A 'mistake' he called it.

Could this feature be done by firmware update?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, frame-it said:

the T/TL/TL2 don't have anything like the GR's Snap focus..and the GRiii focus is fast

Yeah I've been thought about selling my CL for the GR III. CL is a great nice camera, but I find most of time I use it for street photography, So I think maybe GR III is a better choice, because it's so small. I'm hesitated, cause I've never used GR before, and CL is rather small too and could change Lens.

54 minutes ago, a_b-c said:

Could this feature be done by firmware update?

Probably.

Just a way to lock focus at a given setting would be great

8 hours ago, a_b-c said:

Yeah I've been thought about selling my CL for the GR III. CL is a great nice camera, but I find most of time I use it for street photography, So I think maybe GR III is a better choice, because it's so small. I'm hesitated, cause I've never used GR before, and CL is rather small too and could change Lens.

Please don’t GR III is a lemon. So many defects : super slow AF, wobbling dial, uncenter lens unit, WiFi issue, etc... 

CL + Elmarit-TL 18mm is super fast AF wide. 

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Please don’t GR III is a lemon. So many defects : super slow AF, wobbling dial, uncenter lens unit, WiFi issue, etc... 

CL + Elmarit-TL 18mm is super fast AF wide. 

Yeah, I heard about that, so I'm not sure, but it's so small you could really put it in the pocket, CL is also small but just not that small...

I'm right now using CL + Elmarit-TL 18mm, basically the same specification  as GR III. CL AF is really fast, but when I shoot walking people on street at a close distance like about 1 meter, many times still couldn't get on focus. I just hope one day CL firmware could update to remember the MF focus distance when shooting switch between AF and MF...

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:30 PM, a_b-c said:

Yeah, I heard about that, so I'm not sure, but it's so small you could really put it in the pocket, CL is also small but just not that small...

I'm right now using CL + Elmarit-TL 18mm, basically the same specification  as GR III. CL AF is really fast, but when I shoot walking people on street at a close distance like about 1 meter, many times still couldn't get on focus. I just hope one day CL firmware could update to remember the MF focus distance when shooting switch between AF and MF...

if you're shooting such close range (which I like to do sometimes) then centre spot focus with the CL + 18mm has a higher hit rate than the other focus modes. I miss focus if I'm in too much of a hurry with face recognition. I don't know about the new GRIII but I prefer the smaller sensor GRD3 or 4 to the GR2 for close range shots.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:30 PM, a_b-c said:

Options I'm considering are the small Voigtlander lenses.

-  Voigtlander 25mm Snapshot-Skopar f/4. I'm not sure about the newer versions but the older ones had click-stop focus positions of 3m, 1.5m, or 1.0m. 

- Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 is another option if you want something closer to 18mm angle of view.

Both are available for less than half the price of a new Ricoh GRIII

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, nicci78 said:

I am may be wrong but it sounds like you've been reading some of the stuff by trolls on the dpreview ricohtalk forum. While autofocus is, indeed, slow in low light, it's okay in normal light. The serial number of my GR III is on the Ricoh recall list for the "wobbly dial", but my dial does not wobble and my lens is not off-center. 

I generally use the GR III with Snap Focus, which has virtually no shutter lag — and love the image quality. No way that it's a lemon, and I'm glad I bought it. Surprisingly, I also like the image quality of the 35mm and 50mm EFOV crops, particularly the latter, even though the file size ends up at about 7.5MB; but, then, I've made some large prints of 46 x 54 inches (106 x 138 cm) with the original GRD, which had a file size of only 7MB.

hemlock - I have some more comments and sample shots on one the FM forum in a thread about pre-ordering the GR III, for which I cannot post the link because some glitch keeps me from signing in to that forum. But you can see some GR III shots in my instagram feed and flickr page

Edited by Nowhereman

Hum hum 

I don’t know really. And don’t care. Ricoh’s GR III launch is a disaster. I considered it at launch. But too hard to try. Even at Pentax Shop, they had to send their demo unit back to correct the wobbling. Have to wait for next shipment  

You know when so much noise arose around a low selling camera, you have to be aware. They are not trolls, just disappointed customers. 

You may have no problem, but quality check seems poor enough to makes customers angry. 

I understand that you love Ricoh. But you have to be fair, GR III is not the best thing invented on earth. Far from it. 

AF performance seems to be dismal. It is PDAF for god sake ! What a waste. 

I cannot go from lightning fast Elmarit-TL 18mm to slow molasses. 

And the so called snap focus, yes it is certainly nice, but I got a proper digital scale with the T. Which is more practical. 

We should get the choice between fast AF or instant snap focus. Not forced to use the latter, because Ricoh failed miserably to deliver AF. No trolling, even Ricoh’s fans acknowledge it, but for curious reason do not care. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

hemlock - I have some more comments and sample shots on one the FM forum in a thread about pre-ordering the GR III, for which I cannot post the link because some glitch keeps me from signing in to that forum. But you can see some GR III shots in my instagram feed and flickr page

thanks, Nowhereman :)

I decided to pass on the GRIII as I was offered a used CL + 18mm + M adapter at a very good price, and couldn't resist it. I'm very impressed with the CL and especially with its B&W conversions though I wish it had analog dials and a way to lock focus for fast street work. The size of the GRIII is very appealing though. 

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

...We should get the choice between fast AF or instant snap focus. Not forced to use the latter, because Ricoh failed miserably to deliver AF. No trolling, even Ricoh’s fans acknowledge it, but for curious reason do not care. 

Attitudes to the GR III will depend on what one's purpose is for the camera. I bought it mainly because I wanted a camera that was small enough to keep in a pocket (or wear on a belt) and good for one-handed shooting. Please look at this shot and this one (sorry that I cannot post non-Leica images here) — these are literally hip shots: I was holding the GR III in my right hand at my side with my thumb on the shutter button; for the second one I pressed the shutter when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, the waiter extending his arm. Not something I could easily do with my M10. I don't know how the CL with a small lens would be for this, but thought the Q2 would be somewhat ungainly and was concerned about in dealing with 47 MB files in Lightroom, not to speak about the high price. Incidentally, normally I would have used Snap Focus at 2 meters for this, but here, as an experiment, I used AF which, in this high-contrast light, worked quickly. I've converted these to B&W but I also like the color rendition of the GR III. Here is a color portrait (taken in conversation rather than posed), also using AF without a problem. Incidentally, this portrait was shot with the 50mm EFOV crop facility.

Some people want the GR III to have an EFV. For street photography, I prefer to use the LCD: to establish, roughly, the edges of the frame but then look only at the subject when pressing the shutter. I prefer that to using an external OVF on it.

I should also note that the exposure metering of the GR III does not have the tendency of the M10 to blow highlights so easily, what @adan has called its "weird sensitometry", which requires what I feel is excessive underexposure when shooting into the light or in strong sidelight.  

Essentially, I decided to buy the GR III when I had finished shooting for my book project, and was looking for a new point of departure for an new project. I wanted to go in two directions: on the one hand, I wanted to go back to the fluid and dynamic composition that I had done some years ago when shooting with the RIcord GRD and its successor cameras, the GRD2, GRD3 and the GRD4 (which I still have) — this meant I wanted a camera for one-handed shooting, with Snap Focus. The other direction was to experiment with reducing what I had in the frame by experimenting with what Ralph Gibson did in his Quadrants project: shooting with a 50mm lens at a distance of 1 meter. For that, the M10 with the DR Summicron lens (which I love) would be ideal. However, since I generally like to shoot in "binges" — using one camera for 3-6 months and then switching for a similar period to another camera — I'll now try the "Quadrants" approach with the GR III with it's 50mm EFOV crop facility.

If interested in the book project you can pick up in the middle of my thread called Photobook Publishing and its Discontents.

Edited by Nowhereman

I like to have a camera for that kind of thing as well. Although the CL with Voigtländer 25/4.5 could serve, I can fit it into a not-to-small pocket, I greatly prefer to use my X2 that way. For this kind of work I do not need a vast amount of MPs, nor a super-fast lens.

tried out the GRiii in a shop again today..AF in normal light is very fast, in low available light most cameras have average / poor AF...my T-701 was absolute crap in low light on the street with the 23mm...for that matter so was the canon 5D-SR...ive seen some shots on Flickr taken in available light on the street at night at 1/30th sec...still sharp and perfect focus

I have no experience handling the GRIII so know nothing about slow AF, etc. For me the decision is easy: It's a bit too small for a serious shooting session, for me. I don't care whether I can fit a camera in my pocket ... if a camera is in my pocket, it's not ready to take a photograph when I'm doing street photography. When I'm doing street photography, the camera is always in my hand ... period ... and the GR is so small it would make my hand tired. The CL with a half case and a 28mm lens (Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8) is a near perfect size to handle all day long, with a wrist strap fitted to prevent against drops. If I want wider, I fit the Super-Elmar-R 15mm ... that gets a bit heavy, but the ~22mm eqFoV and super rendering quality of that lens makes it a truly outstanding picture maker and worth the effort. 

Snap focus? All my lenses are manual focus lenses ... No need for a focus preset, I just turn the focusing ring to one of the two marks I put on it for street shooting, giving me just the right focus zone at f/5.6, leave the camera in aperture priority AE metering mode or Manual metering mode with AutoISO at a set shutter speed. Instantaneous and always right. Camera to eye, frame, release shutter ... done. :D