Batteries for Leicina Special

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering buying a Leica Special Super 8 Cine camera. I understand that they use AA batteries. Does anyone know can you use any of the following other than regular alkaline non-rechargeable:

1) Rechargeable NiMH

2) The higher voltage but lower capacity NiZn 1.6V rechargeable - I use these in various Apple devices like mice, track pads and wireless keyboards, where the NiMH batteries are too low voltage (the low voltage warning trips in at 1.2V)

2) Lithium Manganese non-rechargeable (1.7V when new) - I tried these on my M4-2 motor drive and it over drove my M4-P resulting in very erratic operation, I assume due to the higher voltage and lower internal resistance. I replaced them with regular NiMH and all worked perfectly

Wilson

I just put the rechargeable Ni-MH in my Special, and they work fine. Lots more capacity at 2650 mAh each. I find the Bolex Super 18-5L to be a very nice projector for super 8 films.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jc_braconi said:

Mine work nicely with the AA

Thanks J-C but what sort of AA - see my OP? 

This all started as I was sent a roll of Super 8 Ektachrome 100D as a sample (in error - it was meant to be a roll of 135 E100)  but have nothing to use it in. When I contacted my film supplier, his response was: "Well buy an old Super 8 camera then" He recommended a Beaulieu 4008 ZM or Bolex 155 but of course, it couldn't be anything other than a Leica (it will be #27). I can also use it with my M and R lenses (with an R to M adapter)

Wilson

PS My recently acquired 500mm MR-Telyt-R would be interesting on the Leicina Special with an EFOV of 3065mm on Super 8! I could out-pap the paparazzi. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

I take the opportunity to illustrate this adapter with the Leicina Special 

one with an M lens in this case with a Tele Elmar 4_135 and the other
one with the "22228/500934" as it is engraved also with an R lens in this case 
a Telyt-R  4_250.
We have planned to make some trials with the the 800 and the 2x Apo extender...

post-2578-0-81548300-1484051416_thumb.jpg

I take the batteries I find at the supermarket : DURACEL and use an Heutier projektor

• Thanks 1

I tried the Leitz 560/6.8 Telyt on the Leicina Special, with the adaptor noted above. Seemed to require a bright sunny day, low vibration/rigid mounting, and on hot days I  experienced some thermal distorsion,( atmospheric?).  A maybe better solution is an APO Telivid, (77 or the new 82mm), and you get a 35mm negative or I guess you could use a digital Leica.  If you need a movie ( up to 54 frames per second), then maybe the Leicina is worth trying.

Here is the Leicina Special on the Televid 77 and on the Telyt 500 f/8 lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jc_braconi said:

Alan,

I have the Televid 77 but I don't know about the adaptator, what is the name and is easy to find ? thanks

The Leicina super 8 camera and the Telivid spotting scope were from different era. The Leicina the 1970's and the Telivid was first available in 1994. However, it seems Leitz wanted Televid users to take long distance photos, using a fairly complex 7 element accessory.  I would call it both a lens and an adapter. The units were serial numbered. The adaptation was T2, primarily for SLR cameras.  You did need to view and focus, so the M cameras were not applicable.  I have adaptor rings for Leica Reflex and Minolta. The Leicina Special is a combination of M mount and viewing thru the lens capability.  I just tried it and it works, but I doubt Leitz ever gave it much thought. Plus, it results in nearly a 5000mm telescope, not easily practical to use, especially with the f/10.4 and f/13 aperatues further reduced with the Leicina effect, 6.2, I think.

The 14300 "Lens" produced an 800mm f/10.4 on the televid 77, this is my setup.  The 14301, which I have never located, produces a 1000mm  f/13 lens. When used on the other Televid models, 62 and 82, different telephoto lenses resulted.  A few years back the 14300 could be found occasionally, I have never seen the 14301 unit.  Maybe a Leitz stockest or the factory has some still unsold.  A possible source beyond the web, is stores catering to rifle shooting. The attached photos are from Laney p.584. The interchangability of the Leitz system is always exciting. Leitz marketed an adapter for the Digilux camera, and I expect one of the digital M series would also work. An M10 on the Televid 82 might be interesting.

• Thanks 1

The other nice little Leica attachment is 14234. Rather than turning a spotter scope into a lens, this turns an R mount lens into a telescope. I will buy one of these to use with my MR-Telyt at some point. They are plentiful and not expensive on Fleabay. 

Wilson

16 minutes ago, jc_braconi said:

Thank you Alan for your documentation.
Wilson I have this attachment and it wok well.

J-C, 

It has to be better than my 30+ year old "no-brand" zoom spotting scope from Dixons Photographic😀

Wilson

• Like 1

Sadly I ended up the under-bidder by £10 on the Leicina Special, which went for £400 but of course I don't know how high the other bidder would have gone. OTOH, I can buy a super 8 Bolex for far less than the Leicina Specials seem to fetch. The other cameras the film supplier mentioned were the Braun Nizo and Beaulieu (but to avoid the 4008). The advantage of the Leicina Special for me is the M mount. 

Wilson

• Like 2