DxO Photolab and monochrome RAW files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But still no M10 monochrom in the list..... that’s why the topic started.

I don’t care about lens modules, but that it lacks Monochrom support is unforgivable. 

Edited by Gobert

12 hours ago, Gobert said:

I don’t care about lens modules, but that it lacks Monochrom support is unforgivable.

When I was checking out various raw processors/editors I discovered they didn't support the M 262, either.  It still isn't on their list.

Is there a site to download sample .dng files from an M10 Monochrom?  I sure would like to explore files from that camera.  I had an opportunity to try out a Phase One XF with a 150mp monochrome back.  A comparison would be very interesting.  (Phase One .iiq raw files can only be open in C1.)

On 5/17/2020 at 7:57 AM, Gobert said:

But still no M10 monochrom in the list..... that’s why the topic started.

You can always request to add support for any camera lens combination.
If enough people do, they might add it.

A camera in itself is never supported. It always starts with a camera-lens combination.
Once there is one, the camera will be supported with whatever lens, just not with the specific corrections of the lens on that camera.
That is not an issue: I have a good deal of lenses that are not supported and DxO still works excellent.

I asked the question on support for the original Monochrom and DxO replied that wouldn't happen because of the lack of cooperation from Leica on the one hand and the Monochrom being too much of a niche product for them to invest in the necessary research.
You have to understand that supporting a camera for DxO goes way further than for C1 or LR for instance.
I suppose the Monochrom being a niche product still holds true for this 3rd iteration.

That's why I use DxO for all my cameras and lenses and C1 for the Monochrom.
Works great for me.

DNG is a publicly distributed (non-proprietary) format, maintained and specified by Adobe.  (The same is true of TIF.)  It is up to a software company, such as DxO, to decide if they want to support it or not and how they support it.

Considering things like the Monochrom camera to be a niche product is why DxO is also a niche product and why Adobe is the industry standard.

1 hour ago, Bart D said:

A camera in itself is never supported. It always starts with a camera-lens combination.
Once there is one, the camera will be supported with whatever lens, just not with the specific corrections of the lens on that camera.
That is not an issue: I have a good deal of lenses that are not supported and DxO still works excellent.

I asked the question on support for the original Monochrom and DxO replied that wouldn't happen because of the lack of cooperation from Leica on the one hand and the Monochrom being too much of a niche product for them to invest in the necessary research.
You have to understand that supporting a camera for DxO goes way further than for C1 or LR for instance.
I suppose the Monochrom being a niche product still holds true for this 3rd iteration.

Works great for me.

DXO also wrote to me that there was no expectation, short or mid term, to support any Monochrom camera.  While they didn’t elaborate, I suspect that a key reason, beyond being a niche within a niche, is that the Monochrom sensor has no Bayer array, which is where their products and the nature of their algorithms shine, and why the Fuji X-Trans (non-Bayer) cameras are similarly problematic.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't expect support for monochrome cameras since, as Jeff said, DxO algorithms are all based around Bayer filters and they tend to avoid novel cameras that don't use Bayer.

I'm sure that DxO will eventually add support for the SL2. It took quite a while for the Q2 if I remember correctly.

I believe the only other production monochrome camera is the Phase One Achromatic back.  Phase One's raw format is proprietary, and the only software that can open their raw files is Capture One.  Nikon tried to do a similar thing when the D3 first came out.  The Nikon user outcry quickly put an end to that plan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:41 AM, Bart D said:

Works great for me.

I have tried to organize support for the CL and I know a number of people requested it. They're nice people, but I've bugged them so much that they've stopped answering my emails. I really liked it when I used my Q more and disappointed it doesn't work for the CL. So, I've stopped upgrading.

Edited by bags27

6 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I have tried to organize support for the CL and I know a number of people requested it. They're nice people, but I've bugged them so much that they've stopped answering my emails. I really liked it when I used my Q more and disappointed it doesn't work for the CL. So, I've stopped upgrading.

Marie candidly responded to my DXO forum questions regarding the Monochrom and the SL2 (see end of linked discussion)....

https://feedback.dxo.com/t/delays-in-adding-modules-for-new-cameras-and-lenses/11982/29

I'd say little reason for optimism for Leica products in general.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Marie candidly responded to my DXO forum questions regarding the Monochrom and the SL2 (see end of linked discussion)....

https://feedback.dxo.com/t/delays-in-adding-modules-for-new-cameras-and-lenses/11982/29

I'd say little reason for optimism for Leica products in general.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. They are, indeed, nice, and I appreciate they have limited human resources. I believe they almost went bankrupt several years ago with a different venture and probably are concentrating on what keeps them in business.