DxO Photolab and monochrome RAW files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

:) I think quite a few users do not look past the mental obstacle of the subscription model.

Mental obstacle?  Why be so dismissive of other’s concerns?

I’ve been a long term Adobe user - Acrobat, Photoshop & LightRoom (primarily).  I had fully paid licences on my work computer, home computer and laptop.  When the subscription service came in, I had to load CC on all three computers and was told that the subscription was good for only two computers - I had to set up a new subscription with a different email address for the third computer.  Then, every time I wanted to use an Adobe product, I had to log into the Adobe service - it drove me nuts.

The ongoing subscription cost was the last straw.  Mental obstacle?  No, pure frustration.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

The ongoing subscription cost was the last straw.  Mental obstacle?  No, pure frustration.

True! Cost is reality, not mental. I can feel it in my wallet, but most I important I do not like Adobe's added features. I'm all settled down. I am still finding features that get in the way. In my least tolerant moments I wonder if Adobe's hidden message is "Go back to film and the wet darkroom." 

Edited by pico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

I’ve been a long term Adobe user - Acrobat, Photoshop & LightRoom (primarily).  I had fully paid licences on my work computer, home computer and laptop.  When the subscription service came in, I had to load CC on all three computers and was told that the subscription was good for only two computers - I had to set up a new subscription with a different email address for the third computer.  Then, every time I wanted to use an Adobe product, I had to log into the Adobe service - it drove me nuts.

Well, yes, it is a personal call. To me the content-aware technology alone is worth more than those 10$ a month. However, I can imagine that, if one is a LR user by nature, it is not cheap. For Photoshop users it is quite economical, with the advantage of the Lightrooms thrown in.

I think Jaap has put his finger on it -- most of my friends who use photoshop consider the pricing reasonable, whereas those who only use lightroom (including myself) consider it a rip off.

It's not the cost, though.  Anyone who uses Leica can afford the subscription rate, one would think.  It's more about integrity -- do I trust this company any more, are they developing in a way I find helpful, are they finding better / faster / more helpful ways to get the post-processing done?  Or are we being milked as locked-in customers not prepared to make the effort to go somewhere else?  I don't like being milked, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2019 at 8:20 PM, IkarusJohn said:

I would use the web interface to LR on the laptop, classic on the home computer and classic or web on work computer. Adobe cloud for the current and favourite collections. One subscription. You only need to log into Adobe after you have logged out. Classic on all three must be a nightmare moving the files around.

• 3 weeks later...
Am 8.4.2019 um 20:45 schrieb jaapv:

It was a general remark... As I said, I suspect that running the files through Adobe's DNG converter will solve the problem.

Please let me know the settings in DNG-converter. Because it didn't help here to run the files thru the converter. I used the basic settings.

5 hours ago, kimo said:

Please let me know the settings in DNG-converter. Because it didn't help here to run the files thru the converter. I used the basic settings.

I don't have DxO so can't actually test, but it's unlikely that DNG converter will help. Mononchrom files are "linear raw", not CFA, and nothing is going to change that. 

Sandy

vor 8 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

That is a matter of experimenting. Use the compatibility settings. I would switch compression off  in any case and try different versions.

Otherwise, just switch to a raw converter that works.

Okay, so you don't really know, right?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb sandymc:

I don't have DxO so can't actually test, but it's unlikely that DNG converter will help. Mononchrom files are "linear raw", not CFA, and nothing is going to change that. 

Sandy

Thanks.

3 hours ago, sandymc said:

Sandy

It DID work with the M9M and Mac before Apple adapted the support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:20 PM, IkarusJohn said:

Do you use all computers at the same time? If not, switching licenses is a one-click process with an automatic login. If you start an CC product on a computer that happens to be logged off, you get a simple screen showing all your computers with the software installed and the ones activated. Log out on the computer of you choice and it is automatically activated the one you are on.

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Do you use all computers at the same time? If not, switching licenses is a one-click process with an automatic login. If you start an CC product on a computer that happens to be logged off, you get a simple screen showing all your computers with the software installed and the ones activated. Log out on the computer of you choice and it is automatically activated the one you are on.

That’s a new feature since the post you quoted, and it is easier.  Generally, no I don’t use all three at the same time - typically, I use Acrobat on my work iMac and MacBook Pro when in chambers, and LR and Acrobat on my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro at home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Newell said:

I think it's already doing that isn't it? When you open into Lightroom? For me it was the quickest way to get a TIFF file....

It is an old trick to get non-compatible DNGs working: reDNG them in the DNG converter.

• 5 months later...
Am 6.12.2019 um 20:27 schrieb jaapv:

It is an old trick to get non-compatible DNGs working: reDNG them in the DNG converter.

That does not work with DXO because the camera name is still embedded in the converted file and DXO does not recognize this camera and refuses to load it. For M8 files I had to change the camera name to M9 in the files and then DXO happily works with the DNG file.

Edited by tom.w.bn
  • Thanks 1

But still no M10 monochrom in the list..... that’s why the topic started.

I don’t care about lens modules, but that it lacks Monochrom support is unforgivable. 

Edited by Gobert

12 hours ago, Gobert said:

I don’t care about lens modules, but that it lacks Monochrom support is unforgivable.

When I was checking out various raw processors/editors I discovered they didn't support the M 262, either.  It still isn't on their list.