DxO Photolab and monochrome RAW files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody,

Like many others i am looking to replace Lightroom because of the subscription thing. So today i downloaded the trail version of DxO Photolab 2, it seems nice but it does not recognize the raw files from M9 monochrome. Is there a way to process M9M raw files with DxO Photolab 2 or shpuld i look further?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Timo

I tried the trial version a while back.  From memory you have to download profiles for each camera you want to use, but that may be wrong.  Generally, I have found most photo editors recognise DNGs immediately.

Currently trialling Luminar 3 with positive results.  If you have the time / interest to examine several products, I would recommend trying this one as well.

5 hours ago, oekoek said:

Hello everybody,

Like many others i am looking to replace Lightroom because of the subscription thing. So today i downloaded the trail version of DxO Photolab 2, it seems nice but it does not recognize the raw files from M9 monochrome. Is there a way to process M9M raw files with DxO Photolab 2 or shpuld i look further?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Timo

DxO PhotoLab does not process dng files from the monochrom. They didn't create the camera specific module for this camera.

Capture One does.

1 hour ago, Gobert said:

@Bart D

It processes M10 files without a specific camera profile. Thus, that is not a criterium.

But the M10 is supported and some 8 lenses.

As for the Monochrom, when I noticed the DNG were not useable, I inquired with DxO and this was their answer.
Also that they had no plans to support the Monochrom, to limited a market.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Bart D said:

As for the Monochrom, when I noticed the DNG were not useable, I inquired with DxO and this was their answer.

M10 is supported without specific profiles...

8 hours ago, Bart D said:

I struggle to understand this obsession we see nowadays with lens profiles. We buy Leica M for their extraordinary optical designs. Is it really an advantage to let a bunch of software developers mess with the character? A Leica M lens (unlike for instance the Q, SL or CL/TL) has been designed as a purely optically corrected lens. Any digital fiddling with the output will take away from the excellence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, but a reasonable assumption. Just read the multitude of threads on “Mandler magic, “clinical” asph lenses, etc. I don’t think that we really want to do digital manipulation on our lens character. Added to which I have never been able to see much effect beyond a bit of vignerons and distortion correction anyway. It is all a bit of a gimmick IMO. 

Timo,

I and a number of my friends have turned to Phase 1, Capture 1 instead of Lightroom.

I got it free with my purchase of my Sony, but others have the same problem as you paying monthly for the Lightroom SW. Capture 1 does support a slew of Leica lenses. I use the "Generic" Lens as I use older R lenses, and maybe I also because agree with Jaap that there's no reason to correct, maybe 🙂      https://www.captureone.com

Not knowing Lightroom I must admit that I enjoy the features in Capture 1.

My 2 Cents.

Preben

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but a reasonable assumption. Just read the multitude of threads on “Mandler magic, “clinical” asph lenses, etc. I don’t think that we really want to do digital manipulation on our lens character. Added to which I have never been able to see much effect beyond a bit of vignerons and distortion correction anyway. It is all a bit of a gimmick IMO. 

Ah, not so much.

I'm not sure I buy all the Leica glow, Mandler magic stuff.  I've found I can mess that up quite quickly in post - I have the 28 Summaron-M, the  35 Summilux-M pre-asph, the 50 Summitar f/2 LTM,  the 75 Summilux-M and the 135 Elmar-M, so I'm pretty familiar with the rather soppy nostalgia associated with older lenses - it's the aberrations I find interesting, but distortion and extreme vignetting I can do without.

Vignerons are another matter altogether ...

Well, distortions are pretty limited on most Leica lenses and invisible in 95% of my photographs, and  a vignette  is something that I am as likely to add as to remove  

That makes them completely useless to me. Having said that, I find the perspective corrections in PSCC quite useful from time to time.

BTW, I didn’t even reinstall LRCC when I recently cleaned up my computer. I tried many programs, use Luminar on my little MacBook Air, but I yet have to find anything that works for me outside Photoshop. There is no program that I know of that offers LAB colour and content aware technology as well, and I use those all the time. Let alone layer blending and the wide range of sharpening options.  It fits me like a glove. The subscription turns out to be a lot cheaper than the updates in the past. 

• Like 1

Hello All,

Thanks for the answers and the suggestions, i will certainly have a look at them. I was afraid i couldn't process monochrome raw files with DxO Photolab 2, i guess things aren't that simple and so the search continues.

Many regards,

Timo

17 hours ago, jaapv said:

I struggle to understand this obsession we see nowadays with lens profiles. We buy Leica M for their extraordinary optical designs. Is it really an advantage to let a bunch of software developers mess with the character? A Leica M lens (unlike for instance the Q, SL or CL/TL) has been designed as a purely optically corrected lens. Any digital fiddling with the output will take away from the excellence.

Who said I am obsessed with lens profiles.
It just about being able to process Monochrom DNG with PhotoLab or not.
In order to have this possibility, the camera needs to be supported. The Monochrom is not. Regardless of lens profiles.