B&W Digital Software for Film

WPCello

6 hours ago, WPCello said:

I have gone back to shooting B&W film.  I am souping my own negs and scanning with an Epson.  Looking for a good Windows 10 compatible stand alone software to work with the resultant images

Try Vuescan. It is almost an industry standard, will work with 99% of scanners, is cheap and upgrades are free.

Gerry

Adobe Elements, or Lightroom, or Photoshop?

Unless the sub-context is 'cheap', to which I'd say 'look at the cost of what you are doing anyway, is it worth being cheap with the crucial part?' I suppose Lightroom is what most people would say is a good programme (I hate it myself), but would admit it can do the job very well. Elements is a budget version for very basic work, it may suit you or it may frustrate you. Photoshop is still the ultimate. With any good programme it's worth remembering you don't need to learn all of it, just the bits you need, and you can learn as you go. So don't be put off by something that appears complicated, or that people say you need a book to understand, you can get all the bite sized instruction videos you need on YouTube. Similarly it really is worth going with a popular programme that many photographers use, you then have the resource of the forum to answer questions using the same terminology. 

Edited by 250swb

vor 3 Minuten schrieb 250swb:

Adobe Elements, or Lightroom, or Photoshop?

Photoshop is still the ultimate. With any good programme it's worth remembering you don't need to learn all of it, just the bits you need, and you can learn as you go. So don't be put off by something that appears complicated, or that people say you need a book to understand, you can get all the bite sized videos you need on YouTube.

+1

My problem with the Adobe products is that they are now all subscription based.  I understand all of the pros of such services, but it simply goes against my grain.  I take photos strictly for my own pleasure and use all vintage film Leicas, Nikons, and Canon.  So updates for the latest digital cameras is hardly an issue.  I see that B&H still has copies of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (DVD) available.  If there is not another viable software, LH6 seems for my purposes the way to go. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adobe Lightroom is a subscription-based Digital Asset Management program with some very powerful digital editing capabilities. Adobe Photoshop is a very powerful subscription-based pixel editor with no DAM capabilities. Adobe Photoshop Elements is a stand alone program with both DAM and digital editing capabilities. Based on some very nasty interactions between the Adobe Application Manager, which is automatically installed with any of their other products, and OSX I no longer have _any_ Adobe software on my Macs. 

I looked at a number of alternatives to the above and settled on the Mac native file system as my DAM and Affinity Photo as my digital editor. AP is also available for Windows 10. The cost is $49.99 for a lifetime subscription. 

If you aren't bothered with having the software manage your files and are happy to develop your own hierarchy within the Windows file system and will only be working on tiff or jpg files which you will get from the scanner, then you could try Nic Collection.  

These are available as a paid version but you can also still get the old version that was owned by Google for free here https://nikcollection.dxo.com/nik-collection-2012/.  There are various apps for B&W, colour, HDR etc and it's primarily intended to be used as suite of plugin's for Lightroom or Photoshop but you can also use the various apps as stand alone versions (well I can on my Mac) and drag and drop tiff or jpg files onto the open interface to load them or use the Open With or windows equivalent.  I use a Mac so I'm not sure about windows but you may be able to associate tiff or jpg files with which ever of the apps you decide and get the OS to open these files when they are double clicked.  One note of caution is that this software unlike Lightroom etc is a destructive editor so make a copy of the file you edit so that you always keep your original.

Could be worth a try.

Regards

1 hour ago, Bobitybob said:

If you aren't bothered with having the software manage your files and are happy to develop your own hierarchy within the Windows file system and will only be working on tiff or jpg files which you will get from the scanner, then you could try Nic Collection.  

I agree the Nik Collection offers massively powerful tools for photo editing in terms of how the image looks. But I think you need a good base programme for all the other things that are even more basic aspects of editing, such as setting the colour space, re-sizing, cropping, etc. So using it stand alone or as a plugin to Lightroom for example it makes just about the best setup possible and is 'industry standard' even for amateur use.

Edited by 250swb

On 4/8/2019 at 3:54 PM, Jossie said:

What about RawTherapee? Of course it is in its first instance a raw converter. But it has powerful tools for image processing -- and it is free software.

I'm using RawTherapee with a Leica M9Monochrom and it is a neat (and powerful) piece of software. While the software does allow things like perspective correction and adjustments for geometric distortions and vignetting, it does not offer adjustment brushes to enable selective dodging and burning. For the latter it seems necessary to export the file, e.g., in a TIFF format, to a package like GIMP.

Another free and open-source package worth looking into is Darktable, which offers selective editing using masks. There is also Lightzone, which uses the zone system extensively, but I have not explored it in detail as it does not yet work with DNG files from the Monochrom.

Edited by Nick_S

On 4/8/2019 at 1:39 PM, Bobitybob said:

One note of caution is that this software unlike Lightroom etc is a destructive editor so make a copy of the file you edit so that you always keep your original.

Excuse me? One of the features of Lightroom is that it is non-destructive...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2135499

https://fstoppers.com/education/lightroom-youre-doing-it-all-wrong-118514