Q2 firmware wishlist

Just got back form a short trip with the Q2.  The most annoying thing I ran into was the focus field being some crazy place - probably by me inadvertently touching the screen.  I'd love to be able to turn that off without having to disable the LCD altogether.  Or, better yet, provide a quick way to center it when looking through the EVF - like I can with my 5D MIV.  It is aggravating as hell!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bullmoon said:

Just got back form a short trip with the Q2.  The most annoying thing I ran into was the focus field being some crazy place - probably by me inadvertently touching the screen.  I'd love to be able to turn that off without having to disable the LCD altogether.  Or, better yet, provide a quick way to center it when looking through the EVF - like I can with my 5D MIV.  It is aggravating as hell!

You can disable touch af while still being able to use the LCD. And double tap to centre stikk works (while the LCD is active). I found I was moving it around inadvertently too so I have it disabled. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ralphh said:

You can disable touch af while still being able to use the LCD. And double tap to centre stikk works (while the LCD is active). I found I was moving it around inadvertently too so I have it disabled. 

Ah, I found that: Focusing / AF Touch off.  OK - I'll try that. 

It would simply be much better if the EVF offered a way to center.  I finally started using EVF extended and still no way to reset to center in the EVF.  But that's an inconvenient workaround/compromise as well, especially when I suddenly need to compose a shot with the LCD - like over the heads of a crowd - and then I'd probably need AF Touch. It's a bummer the way it is implemented when the camera needs to be used in a variety of changing situations. That's my experience.  It will cause missed shots or OOF shots.

Edited by bullmoon

5 minutes ago, bullmoon said:

I guess I have no idea how to do that.  EVF only doesn't work that way. EVF Extended doesn't work that way.  LCD and Auto don't give me that.  And there's no explicit "disable touch" feature that I can find.  So I'm lost as to how to do that with the Q2.  If there is, I'd love to know how.

It would simply be much better if the EVF offered a way to center.  I finally started using EVF extended and still no way to reset to center in the EVF.  But that's an inconvenient workaround/compromise as well, especially when I suddenly need to compose a shot with the LCD - like over the heads of a crowd.  It's a bummer the way it is implemented when the camera needs to be used in a variety of changing situations. That's my experience.  It will cause missed shots or OOF shots.

It's not in the display settings. 

Go to menu page 1 -> focusing-> touch AF. Set it off

Just took me 5 mins to find it again lol

Edited by ralphh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, bullmoon said:

Ah, I found that AF Touch off.  OK - I'll try that. 

It would simply be much better if the EVF offered a way to center.  I finally started using EVF extended and still no way to reset to center in the EVF.  But that's an inconvenient workaround/compromise as well, especially when I suddenly need to compose a shot with the LCD - like over the heads of a crowd - and then I'd probably need AF Touch. It's a bummer the way it is implemented when the camera needs to be used in a variety of changing situations. That's my experience.  It will cause missed shots or OOF shots.

I agree. I really wish the double tap on the screen to centre worked while looking through the evf. Or better still, if one could remap the set button to centre af instead of jump into video mode

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ralphh said:

I agree. I really wish the double tap on the screen to centre worked while looking through the evf. Or better still, if one could remap the set button to centre af instead of jump into video mode

+1000. Very frustrating with the present implementation. Yesterday I asked a companion to take the camera to capture a pic of my wife and me. I got it back and the focus point was way off in a corner. Lost some shots because of that. Thank goodness one was useful. The current implementation is dumb! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bullmoon said:

Ah, I found that: Focusing / AF Touch off.  OK - I'll try that. 

An interesting side note. You have to have touch AF ON when using the FOTOS App in order to see and move the focus area. Otherwise, I leave Touch AF OFF.

It also seems the Q2 is a step back from the Touch shutter feature. I’d like that to return like on the Q. 

• Like 1