S T R A P ??

zorky

I just ordered a Harry Benz strap for the S1R. His straps are amazing. His suggestion for the S1R was his Brogue model which I ordered without the holes. It is the same model, just diffenent connectors as I have for my SL. 

I've tried all manner of custom leather straps with my SL and now with the S1R and, they all presented problems when trying to fold them into my carry bag (Oberwerth Munchen).  The problem?  You can't simply drop them into the case, they have to be ceremoniously folded to fit.  The crap straps that come with the Panasonic and the SL, while not very attractive and or long lasting, are the easiest to manage.  The only exception, IMO, and I have not actually handled one, might be the Rock n Roll strap that appears to be easily foldable.  The second noted issue relates to their attachment points.  Most of the straps have metal connectors that could potentially scratch the bodies. Any comments would be appreciated?

Edited by ron777

48 minutes ago, Timkr said:

Peak design slide lite

The Peak site's photos of the "slide lite" show what appears to be a flimsy connector.  The S1R is no lightweight—although in hand it feels more comfortable and, oddly, not as heavy as the SL, while in actuality it is  heavier—and it requires a sturdy connection.  I'll stick with the Crap Strap until something more appealing comes to light, since I can fold it over my hand and use it as a hand strap.

12 hours ago, ron777 said:

Looks like the camera body is isolated from the metal clip with that one, hopefully, no eventual scratches ... I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my equipment.

Ditto ..... I avoid any straps with exposed metal bits like the plague....... in fact I've removed the 'slide' bit on my original PD Slide and re-assembled it to the length I want. 

I have PD connectors on all my cameras and filter bag so everything is interchangeable and reduces having multiple fixed straps on everything. For tripod use straps are a real nuisance and a potential cause of disaster if you are not careful, so being able to remove it easily is a must.  

Edited by thighslapper

Agree. Tripods and straps are an accident waiting to happen.  I still recall the first time I spun around to the sound of oncoming traffic and caught my arm in the dangling strap.  The entire setup, a Hasselblad/lens film model, came crashing down ... good thing the camera was insured.  A quick release is a major improvement from days of old.

16 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

When my camera arrives the first thing I'll do is put an RRS plate on it with a QD mount. Then it will accept all the straps I have modified with QD connectors.

Gordon

Which RRS plate are you using with QD?  RRS does not yet offer a plate for the S series.

I think RRS will have difficulty making a nice neat plate similar to the SL one due to the size of the battery door. 

I've got one of these ..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CG3E9BE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an Arca Swiss copy but at 1/5 of the price. Much better quality than I expected and actually an accurate Arca dovetail ..... unlike most which are the wrong profile. The bottom is clear of the battery door and the side piece clear of the remote socket. The vertical piece also slides out to allow access to the other connectors. The construction also makes it fairly light. For the price it is a steal. I presume it came direct from China ....... but still arrived in a week. 

Edited by thighslapper