Balivernes

Voigtländer Color-Skopar 21mm f/3.5 VM Vintage Line

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone!

Voigtländer’s two most recent vintage lenses have been widely available for quite a few months, but I find very few “real life” reviews on line, and none from the usual suspects :)

specifically, I am looking for feedback on personal experience/testing with the  Color-Skopar 21mm f/3.5 VM on digital Ms (not curious about other 21mm lenses, nor Sony mount version, nor speculation based on specs sheet, nor inferences from the 35mm Ultron nor general talk about VM lenses).

Anyone in this forum actually used the lens with a digital M yet? If yes, how did it perform for you (resolution/contrast, potential quirks in corners, distortion, vignetting, rendering in general, focusing reliability, etc) ? Please forgive me if the specific performance topic was already discussed in detail in this forum.

Or can you point to any (good) output-based  review blog/video (found one  using film M, a couple showing lens rather than discussing performance and plenty of reviews for E-mount version)?

Or simply pictures shot through the lens (preferably high res downloads)? i have seen the promotional picture samples published at launch, so no need to point there! :)

Thanks beforehand!

Edited by Balivernes

We've been discussing about this recently. Did yo do a search on the forum? In a nutshell it works fine on my M240 without any disturbing color shift, it is a sharp lens indeed, sharper than the CV 21/4 at wide aperture, but it shows more CA than the latter.

1 hour ago, lct said:

We've been discussing about this recently. Did yo do a search on the forum? In a nutshell it works fine on my M240 without any disturbing color shift, it is a sharp lens indeed, sharper than the CV 21/4 at wide aperture, but it shows more CA than the latter.

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Thanks both.

I had seen that combined 21/35 thread but missed the couple of posts discussing specifically the 21 on M240, and comparing it with CV 21/4.

@lct ‘s experience is encouraging of course but I’d love to read something comparing the 21/3.5 with Leica’s own 21 SE or older elmarit asph (a lens I know from my M6 days). The SE was my preferred option....until the new CV 21/3.5 was launched at half the price of a good 2nd hand copy of the 21 SE (cannot afford that one new).

Always the same dilemma.....

I have the Super-Elmar 21/3.4 as well. Similar sharpness with less CA than the CV 21/3.5. It is a bulkier lens though. Feels better balanced on my Ms than on the digital CL and has not the focus stick of the CV 21/3.5. I much prefer the regular Leica's or CV 21/4's focus tab personally. I have also the Elmarit 21/2.8 asph which has a bit less micro contrast and shows more color shift at corners and edges on the M240. Never tried it on the CL due to its larger size. Only reason to keep it is f/2.8 AFAIC.