straps & lugs & O-rings on M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

after buying my first leica m and a lens i was quite surprised to find a reports of failing straps and o rings as well as worn out lugs on camera bodies.

i did get in touch with leica's customer service and they told me, eventually all strap lugs can wear out (but they can also be replaced). 

the lugs on my m4 are still fine but i wonder what kind of o-rings i should use. i have got an older strap by hyperion which is totally fine but i do wonder if i'd better use different o-rings and maybe even triangular-shaped "rings". on my SLR i like the peak design strap and the anchor links, however, they won't really fit through the lugs on the M4. there are triangular-shaped links which fit through the lugs and you can attach any strap. it seems even with those links people seem to have trouble.

what's your solution? are there any rings or links that hold up well?

I’ve used my M4 since 1968 with the original Leica strap with simple steel rings. My solution is not to worry about it.

I do have other cameras with strap lugs that have hardened steel bushings inserted in the lugs to prevent wear from the strap rings. Perhaps if you run frequent marathons with the camera swinging on the strap that’s a good idea.

• Thanks 1

Look for round (not triangular) split rings with smooth ends.  The Cura brand rings have very smooth, polished ends to avoid damaging the lugs, and are made from chrome plated brass, just as are the M4 lugs.

Basically any good quality, camera specific rings will work, as long as the ring end are not too rough or sharp. 

Any ring will eventually wear down the strap lug, but in most cases the lugs will last outlast their owner unless subjected to rough usage - I inspect mine annually. Of greater concern is the straps themselves holding up. After trying many brands and styles over 55 years, and having 1 failure which was expensive in that it dropped the camera onto a hard surface, I started fabricating my own leather straps for my Leicas and other cameras. I typically use round split rings at each end, sometimes D rings, or if the strap will be often attached and removed, fishing leader snaps rated at 12 lbs.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, leicaalex said:

after buying my first leica m and a lens i was quite surprised to find a reports of failing straps and o rings as well as worn out lugs on camera bodies.

In fifty years I have not seen one single Leica M with dangerously worn lugs. I have seen ONE Leica with surprisingly worn-to-oval shape lugs but it was far from failing. O-rings? Look to a common application - key rings. Ever seen a key ring that wore through or broke?

Edited by pico
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I prefer the traditional “0” ring, taken from old neck straps or bought in fishing tackle shops like the trace link shown, but I have had those type of trace link start to straighten out and slip out of the little bent clip that holds it ( when fishing).

The modern Leica straps are good, as are the Benser type screw down ones.

When buying an old Leica worn strap lugs on a camera are a good sign that a camera has had a lot of use.

Edited by Pyrogallol

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've lost count of the numbers of Leica M cameras I've had with the old chrome plated brass strap lugs, and none of them have ever come close to wearing through, even though some were worn. It's simple you need to keep the radius of the 'O' ring as large as practical, the modern Leica strap is ideal. And don't use Nikon style triangular rings because the camera is supported on the edges of the strap lug and not the central area causing the ring to dig into the lug as it wears. Of course Nikon rings are ok for Nikon cameras of a the same period because they used stainless strap lugs and not soft brass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of O-rings and strap lugs, are there any tricks to attaching the rings to the lugs without damaging the surface of the lugs?  I attached the rings of a new Leica strap to my M4 and scraped off some of the chrome plating while rotating the rings onto the lugs.

Curiously, attaching the O-rings to the lugs on my M-A did not cause any damage to the surface of the lugs.  

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

On the subject of O-rings and strap lugs, are there any tricks to attaching the rings to the lugs without damaging the surface of the lugs?  I attached the rings of a new Leica strap to my M4 and scraped off some of the chrome plating while rotating the rings onto the lugs.

Curiously, attaching the O-rings to the lugs on my M-A did not cause any damage to the surface of the lugs.  

M6 and later had/have stainless steel lugs, so that’s why the M-A lugs didn’t sustain damage.  Earlier lugs are chrome plated brass. 

To avoid installation damage that is obvious, attach the lugs horizontally, such that the split ring rides over the bottom outside edge of the lug. The damage may still exist, but it won’t be visible unless you turn the camera upside down. 

Apparently it is possible to slide heat shrink tubing between the ring and lug during installation in such a way that it covers the ring when attached. I’ve not tried that, but sounds plausible. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2019 at 12:10 PM, leicaalex said:

i did get in touch with leica's customer service and they told me, eventually all strap lugs can wear out (but they can also be replaced). 

the lugs on my m4 are still fine but i wonder what kind of o-rings i should use. i have got an older strap by hyperion which is totally fine but i do wonder if i'd better use different o-rings and maybe even triangular-shaped "rings". on my SLR i like the peak design strap and the anchor links, however, they won't really fit through the lugs on the M4. there are triangular-shaped links which fit through the lugs and you can attach any strap. it seems even with those links people seem to have trouble.

what's your solution? are there any rings or links that hold up well?

Don't worry with strap and strap lugs, as you may find your solution depend on your M use style.

There is no one solution for all users or type of gear.

I've used over time maybe 50 types of straps on Leica (M, R,  LTM ) and not one is for all use.

I had some M with strap lugs replaced when needed (some M4 with their brass ones), when they turn that is the time to think to replace them.

With newer M, from M4-2 till now,  lugs are made of steel but strap can mare the body.

Plenty of old M4 have stigmata from use, but lugs seem going strong

My two types of strap solutions,

on LTM just use the one attached on the case 😉

Or something like this

Wrist straps

As side note ...

My most used over decades on M and R (even on LTM sometimes ! ) are the best thougt-out nylon strap which comes with the camera mostly:

easy to attach and detach, adaptable length with rubber pad, etc.

Leica 14312 strap 😇

Strap so nice even Ken approves it for his many camera testings 😎

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

thank you everyone.

yeah. I do know, eventually all lugs will wear down. i just don‘t see why i should put unnecessary strain on them. 

the o ring on the hyperion strap is quite large its edges are quite sharp, so i‘m open to suggestions. 

i like to carry cameras across the shoulder and chest. 

never heard of cura. will try to look into them. artisan and artist straps look great too but i‘m not sure about the o rings. 

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, Mr.Prime said:

further details?

Anybody else done this, I may need to do this for my M4 soon.

Brass lugs in M4 (if original) are very fragile * riveted on the shell.

I had my M4 lugs replaced so many times as the thinning or turning lugs are not securing at all.

You may send your M4 to someone for lugs replacing with CLA.

* In new M-A, those lugs are more robust now with steel lugs secured by two strong screws to the body.

I was wondering about the inserts idea, sounds like the easier option, avoiding sending my camera away for several weeks which as any M4 owner knows, would be a hardship!

The lugs on mine are clearly thinned but don’t appear as if about to break. Thought I might be able to protect them somehow.

I’m also not convinced that a CLA is a good investment if the camera is working well (which I’ll have a chance to determine after I finish the current roll and get it processed). 

Interesting comment about the M-A, I may eventually just want to own a Leica M from new, although possibly the M-P. It’s not a decision waiting for the cash, which is on-hand, but rather that I’m still finding out what kind of M I like best.

Edited by Mr.Prime