Q/Q2... Spot or field focus?

• 3 months later...

I'm on spot all the time - I shoot wide open (or close to) a lot and find the DoF is much too short to use field as the box is so large.  I do find that even on spot, sometimes it seems to pickup backgrounds behind people even though I know I've got the cross on their face.  It's very odd. It might just be i've got the very point of the cross on a low contrast area like the cheek and it's missed focus.

Edited by ralphh

I’m still going back and forth between spot snd field. I too miss being able to shrink the field box down. My biggest issue with both is just seeing the damn thing when out in the sun. Occasionally I just point the camera at my subject centered and assume the focus point is in the right place. This works in those instances except when I previously had the camera in manual focus and forget to return it to AF. My eyes are definitely suffering from age, but I do wish focus confirmation was more obvious and visible. I never seem to have this problem with my Canon 5D3. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ralphh said:

agreed.

Fortunately, even with the touch screen off, double tapping the screen returns the focus point to the center.  This may or may not be a bug, but it's really useful when you can't see the damn thing.

Mine doesn't do that. How can I make it do that?

On 7/15/2019 at 7:35 AM, ralphh said:

agreed.

Fortunately, even with the touch screen off, double tapping the screen returns the focus point to the center.  This may or may not be a bug, but it's really useful when you can't see the damn thing.

I cannot make the double tap work to return to center unless I have the real LCD in operation. I was hoping it worked when I was looking through the EVF. No joy for me. 

1 hour ago, ralphh said:

oh, sorry, the rear screen needs to be active - but you can have the touchscreen turned off in settings (which i do as I poke it with my nose!).

It would be great if it worked when looking through the EVF too

Where is the setting to turn off the Touch Screen on the Q2? I tried the various Display modes - didn't see how to do this.

Edited by bullmoon