Is Leica X type 114 still worth getting in 2019?

zhengyu201211

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

I'm just getting back into photography after a 4 year break (busy with the first born). The only camera I kept was the X vario, which I barely used as I found my self going to the smart phone more and more, however I still on rare occasions break it out during the holidays. Now that I have more time for my self and finding my self wanting to get back into photography, I m looking for another Leica that will be my everyday camera along with the x vario. 

I'm very happy with x vario image, and do not see the need for higher resolution as such. I'm OK with the AF too, as I manually focus or zone focus more than AF.  The only thing is I really need is a faster lens for low light, which take up about 10% of what I take. 

Now like everyone els. I am tempted by the latest and greatest, so the CL or the Q2 is in my sights, however, I found that one of the Aussie ADs still has one NEW X typ 113 in stock, for $1900 AUD. It basically has what I need on paper, and since I already have the EVF, I'm OK for it not to have a built in EVF. So for 1/3 of the price for a CL +23mm sumicron, or a Q, is it still worth it to buy the 5 year old discounted X typ 113? Or should I pay more to get either of the CL or Q2? Also I'm going to use the X vario in conjunction with the new camera, as it's not worth selling, and I still found it to be an excellent camera for macro, landscape, etc. Please freely express your opinion, and they will be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes it is, provided you barter a good price. Quality-wise I would call any X camera a mini-Q. Have a look at the image threads

Thank you for your recommendation, the images are excellent. I did try out the CL and Q today at the Leica store today, very well built, but then again so is my X vario

Welcome to the forum. With the facts given, emphatically 'yes' to your proposed purchase particularly if you can negotiate a lower price on the X 113. Searching for a counter-argument,  only if you can foresee a compelling need for a focal length longer than 70mm should you consider a CL. I would stick with your instinct and add the fantastically capable X 113. I believe they share the same battery, too.

5 hours ago, zhengyu201211 said:

Hi all, 

I'm just getting back into photography after a 4 year break (busy with the first born). The only camera I kept was the X vario, which I barely used as I found my self going to the smart phone more and more, however I still on rare occasions break it out during the holidays. Now that I have more time for my self and finding my self wanting to get back into photography, I m looking for another Leica that will be my everyday camera along with the x vario. 

I'm very happy with x vario image, and do not see the need for higher resolution as such. I'm OK with the AF too, as I manually focus or zone focus more than AF.  The only thing is I really need is a faster lens for low light, which take up about 10% of what I take. 

Now like everyone els. I am tempted by the latest and greatest, so the CL or the Q2 is in my sights, however, I found that one of the Aussie ADs still has one NEW X typ 113 in stock, for $1900 AUD. It basically has what I need on paper, and since I already have the EVF, I'm OK for it not to have a built in EVF. So for 1/3 of the price for a CL +23mm sumicron, or a Q, is it still worth it to buy the 5 year old discounted X typ 113? Or should I pay more to get either of the CL or Q2? Also I'm going to use the X vario in conjunction with the new camera, as it's not worth selling, and I still found it to be an excellent camera for macro, landscape, etc. Please freely express your opinion, and they will be much appreciated. 

The X Vario and X Typ 113 use the same batteries but the EVF is different. The X Typ 113 uses the Leica Visoflex (Typ 020) that's also used with the T, TL, TL2.

Best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjans said:

The X Vario and X Typ 113 use the same batteries but the EVF is different. The X Typ 113 uses the Leica Visoflex (Typ 020) that's also used with the T, TL, TL2.

Best

Ooh, thanks for that information, that has thrown a bit of a curve ball into the situation, now that I need to add an extra  800 dollars into consideration. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, wda said:

Welcome to the forum. With the facts given, emphatically 'yes' to your proposed purchase particularly if you can negotiate a lower price on the X 113. Searching for a counter-argument,  only if you can foresee a compelling need for a focal length longer than 70mm should you consider a CL. I would stick with your instinct and add the fantastically capable X 113. I believe they share the same battery, too.

Thanks, I rarely if at all uses telephoto beyond 70mm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zhengyu201211 said:

Ooh, thanks for that information, that has thrown a bit of a curve ball into the situation, now that I need to add an extra  800 dollars into consideration. 

Or you could look for a good used OVF such as the one I use on my X1.

6 hours ago, wda said:

Or you could look for a good used OVF such as the one I use on my X1.

Ah yes, I still have the OVF I bought for my X1, but I found them not as useful as the EVF. I have decided to go in today and put that last X 113 on hold today, even take into account of the Visoflex in the price, I think it's worth it, besides I will have a camera that will never be out of date 😉

• Like 1

Sometimes a clear uncluttered framing aid is all you need for travel photography.  Given time and opportunity, you can double-check the result on the screen. I wish you much pleasure with your timeless X cameras.

3 hours ago, wda said:

Sometimes a clear uncluttered framing aid is all you need for travel photography.  Given time and opportunity, you can double-check the result on the screen. I wish you much pleasure with your timeless X cameras.

Thanks, I will check back in with photos once I get my hands on it. 

4 hours ago, zhengyu201211 said:

Thanks, I will check back in with photos once I get my hands on it. 

Outdoor for landscape/architecture I use a Voigtländer optical viewfinder. For portraits I set the camera to face detection (outdoor & indoor). For most of the indoor pictures I use the screen. Best solution however remains indeed the dedicated EVF although a bit expensive.

Best

Edited by rjans

I have both X 113 and X 113. The CL is clearly newer technology, and will provide you versatility with lens selection as well as higher resolution over either of the X models.  I guess the first question and I've asked it is, do I need that, and at what cost.  Although I far prefer the actual "analog" style of design that the X cameras offer over the CL, the latter is very well thought out and beautifully designed; it's just different.

I'd ask myself what lenses I would want to use with the CL and again whether or what the advantage will be given the investment difference is a significant one.  As for the finder, I have the Viso 020 and do use it on my 113, but truthfully I use my 36mm Leica OVF or the LCD more often. I have seen the Viso 020 used on Craigslist for $300 recently so they are out there, and even at $400,  it is still quite a savings over the CL and 23mm f2. Add to that another $1200 for the zoom if you travel and want to carry only one body!

Good luck, (fun decisions :)

David

3 hours ago, DwF said:

I have both X 113 and X 113. The CL is clearly newer technology, and will provide you versatility with lens selection as well as higher resolution over either of the X models.  I guess the first question and I've asked it is, do I need that, and at what cost.  Although I far prefer the actual "analog" style of design that the X cameras offer over the CL, the latter is very well thought out and beautifully designed; it's just different.

I'd ask myself what lenses I would want to use with the CL and again whether or what the advantage will be given the investment difference is a significant one.  As for the finder, I have the Viso 020 and do use it on my 113, but truthfully I use my 36mm Leica OVF or the LCD more often. I have seen the Viso 020 used on Craigslist for $300 recently so they are out there, and even at $400,  it is still quite a savings over the CL and 23mm f2. Add to that another $1200 for the zoom if you travel and want to carry only one body!

Good luck, (fun decisions :)

David

Thanks for the advice. The main attraction of the X typ 113 is the way it is operated, being a long time M user before my photography break, transition to the X vario was seamless to me, and I'm guessing this would apply to X typ 113 and Q as well. I did have a play with CL at the store,it's fast, responsive, light and easy to operate, but I did miss the shutter speed dial, although one of the twin dials can be set as the shutter dial, and information read off the small LCD, but it's just felt different (not worse or better, just different). I'm sure the CL is superior in everyway as its a newer camera, and the being a system camera it is more versatile, but I had a long thought about the lenses I would buy, and the only one that I'm keen on is the 23mm sumicron, that's why I put some serious thought into getting the X typ 113 instead, it's a camera thats out of date, but it has everything I need and be happy with. 

I did end up ordering the X typ 113(waiting shipment from another store), and along with it the visoflex 020. I have been playing with my X vario lately and found it still very satisfying, I'm sure I won't be disappointed in the X typ 113. Here is a recent photo taken with my X vario. 

• Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Music to my ears, much like many of the other Vario owners.

Old school I might be, but I too like the ability to be able to set virtually everything before I turn the camera on, shutter speed, aperture, focus, and zoom, all before powering up. Turn it on, and with a floating ISO it's close enough.

Sure the newer cameras, CL especially (although I've not handled one, yet) will be faster, maybe better, but I am happy with the old stuff.

I'm sure you'll absolutely love the 113, I am envious.

Gary

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Music to my ears, much like many of the other Vario owners.

Old school I might be, but I too like the ability to be able to set virtually everything before I turn the camera on, shutter speed, aperture, focus, and zoom, all before powering up. Turn it on, and with a floating ISO it's close enough.

Sure the newer cameras, CL especially (although I've not handled one, yet) will be faster, maybe better, but I am happy with the old stuff.

I'm sure you'll absolutely love the 113, I am envious.

Gary

Gary,

Your point about setting shutter and aperture- of course. I love this too and it is so automatic, the very idea of it I have come to take for granted. And even if the last shutter/aperture combination remained stored in the CL while being turned off, that would not be good enough! Conditions change as we wander with the camera.

It also seems funny to speak of these cameras as old stuff when people are still seeking out old film cameras including the original CL.

Zhengyu,

I'm sure then that you will love your new camera. And nice that you found a Viso as it certainly is nice to have when you need it. Also with it's ability to sense your eye at the finder makes it that much easier to use than the older one. I look forward to see anything you care to post once you're up and running.

I also have an RX1R that I really like (lens/sensor) but handling isn't even close to the X for me as I am a longtime M user as well. Going between X Vario to V 113 is seemless as you say.

Enjoy,

David

The X typ 113 is an excellent bit of kit, and I am still using mine almost daily, and only rarely dip to my Nikon Df where decent lowlight images are needed. 

I have written about my X use on Macfilos, and have a new article in production about using my X typ 113 as a solely monochrome experience. This turned out to be both fun, and produced some really decent images which may make the light of day. 

My advice would be to buy one, as I have at this moment in time no inclination to sell mine. A lottery win might change that naturally, but always nice to be optimistic. 

Dave

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DS1969 said:

https://www.macfilos.com/2017/12/26/2017-12-26-2017-a-year-with-the-wonderful-leica-x-typ-113/

This was my view of a year with the X typ 113, and I have written further reviews about shooting it a night, and on various outings. Hope this helps you out. 

Thank you for the link, your review was the first one I read when I was doing research for this camera, as its the latest one. And it did help me make up my mind too.