How Do Some Of You Disguise Your Q / Q2 From Criminals

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious as the Q2 is my gateway Leica.  Always used and still use Pro DSLR’s from Canon / Sony, but never Leica until now.  How do some of you change or hide the Leica Flare or the Red Leica Dot?  Curious as I was simply going to use tape to cover it.  I normally shoot in a more elevated crime area and would dislike very much to be robbed.. I understand it’s a risk you take and understand insurance but with the scarce availability of the Q2, would be nice to keep my own stuff.  Lol.. thanks 

Multibutton DSLRs are far more attractive to the average street criminal as they are easier to fence. 

Even specialized crooks will look for the shape, not for the red dot. Engrave your name on the camera and it gets utterly unattractive. 

• Like 2

A Q/Q2 is nothing like as obtrusive as a DSLR. Most street crime is opportunistic rather than planned/targeted.  I have known some owners who lavish black gaffer tape all over the place to conceal the camera's identity but to my mind that indicates there is something worth hiding and therefore worth stealing!

• Like 2

I don't disguise it, if anything people wonder what it is what am carrying. theirs more of a chance that your cell phone will be stollen before they steal your camera. So i wouldn't honestly worried, well maybe the phone cause it has more chances of being stollen. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes I put a smidge of electrical tape over my Q's red dot, but I don't know that robbers would check out the brand, it's more the noticeability of the red dot. Probably if it had a black dot I'd never bother

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies, as much as I enjoyed reading them, I got a kick out of how many different thoughts there were.  Absolutely against crime, don't want to get into my background or current employment but I am VERY knowledgeable in the Criminal Justice Field.  However on this note, I would do what needed to be done within reason.  Just questioning what steps other may take is all.  I honestly feel crime happens to those who exhibit a clueless nature to them (Condition White) hence my question, I am always looking for ways to avoid things and keep my guard up.  Thanks again for the suggestions.. going to stick with the insurance and will be covering the red dot.  Only now I can use less tape.. LOL.. have not had issues yet so.. knock on wood...

1 hour ago, antigallican said:

Sometimes I put a smidge of electrical tape over my Q's red dot, but I don't know that robbers would check out the brand, it's more the noticeability of the red dot. Probably if it had a black dot I'd never bother

Agree, I probably will just put a nice little square over it and keep it there.. No bother..

I try to always put myself in the shoes of the most experienced thief.. for this I would be searching for the red dot.. this means cash.  Have to think like them to beat them...

Dress like a tramp, scruffy as hell. Scruffy hair/unshaven etc. Don't carry some flash camera bag. Helps also to trash the camera a bit, shake it around in a bag full of nuts and bolts to scratch it up (lens cap on though). Tear off some of the body covering and maybe splash some paint on it too for good effect. Rip the Leica badge off. 

This will help a lot as no one will want to bother you and they'll assume your camera is worthless. If you live in America you can also carry a gun with you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Dress like a tramp, scruffy as hell. Scruffy hair/unshaven etc. Don't carry some flash camera bag. Helps also to trash the camera a bit, shake it around in a bag full of nuts and bolts to scratch it up (lens cap on though). Tear off some of the body covering and maybe splash some paint on it too for good effect. Rip the Leica badge off. 

This will help a lot as no one will want to bother you and they'll assume your camera is worthless. If you live in America you can also carry a gun with you. 

Personal rule is to never look down on advice given.  However in this case.. yikes lol.  Funny but I will pass.  As for the CCW, I am all set.. just won’t have justification if it’s not an viable threat.  Thanks for the laugh.. going to keep the nuts and bolts in the shop.. 🤪

Edited by Kaiden
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kaiden said:

Curious as the Q2 is my gateway Leica.  Always used and still use Pro DSLR’s from Canon / Sony, but never Leica until now.  How do some of you change or hide the Leica Flare or the Red Leica Dot?  Curious as I was simply going to use tape to cover it.  I normally shoot in a more elevated crime area and would dislike very much to be robbed.. I understand it’s a risk you take and understand insurance but with the scarce availability of the Q2, would be nice to keep my own stuff.  Lol.. thanks 

If the thief is knowledgable enough to know your little camera is something special compared to a DSLR monster, he deserves to have the camera 🙂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vikasmg said:

If the thief is knowledgable enough to know your little camera is something special compared to a DSLR monster, he deserves to have the camera 🙂

Lol.. I can think of other things a thief deserves! I will stick to the tape and keep my head on a swivel.. 🤙🏼

• Haha 1

Anecdote: A friend of mine has an office in the center of Amsterdam and used to drive a BMW 5 series. It got broken into, airbag stolen, wheels removed, radio module stolen, even the driver seat on one occasion, etc. on a near-weekly basis. On advice of the police he bought a Ferrari. Never a problem after that. Thieves don't like stealing exotic stuff - far too hard to sell.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Anecdote: A friend of mine has an office in the center of Amsterdam and used to drive a BMW 5 series. It got broken into, airbag stolen, wheels removed, radio module stolen, even the driver seat on one occasion, etc. on a near-weekly basis. On advice of the police he bought a Ferrari. Never a problem after that. Thieves don't like stealing exotic stuff - far too hard to sell.

The way the Qs and Q2’s are selling, if Leica can make them faster they will no longer be exotic 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Interesting Thought! Lol.. 

Paint it fluorescent pink.  You'll have no worries about it being stolen then apart from by early teenage girls.  Of course it might be a little more difficult to successfully blend into the background for those candid street pictures ...

Pete.

I don't disguise it because (1) it's insured; (2) I figure if a thief is knowledgable enough to know what a Leica camera is and its value, hiding the red dot isn't going to help; and (3) if a thief isn't knowledgable but is still willing to steal any camera, then I'm screwed anyways.

Always carry a sacrificial camera such as a huge DSLR, but it is just a shell loaded with a mild explosive and a big vial of skunk juice. You can trigger the thing at your convenience hopefully when the bastard returns home so the whole nest is taken out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3