Tilt/Shift option?

Greg Haag

10 minutes ago, djmay said:

There is a tilt/shift 120mm lens for the S. It is a nice lens. I have tested it.

Jesse

Jesse, thank you for letting me know, I should have mentioned in my post, I am really needing something in the 24mm to 35mm range.

15 minutes ago, Greg Haag said:

Jesse, thank you for letting me know, I should have mentioned in my post, I am really needing something in the 24mm to 35mm range.

That does not exist, and I do not think it will come, unfortunately.

I have the 120 T/S, like it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As mentioned in the referenced thread above, there is a way -  the Hasselblad HTS on the Leica S cameras using the H->S adapter and the HCD 24 (36) or 28 (42). The HTS factor is 1.5x as I've indicated. It works, and in fact the auto focus works with the HTS on the S, something that wasn't supported by Hasselblad with my H3DII-39. I used this setup with the Leica S2 for some time, so I know it works. I'd go to a Hasselblad dealer and give it a try to see how you like it.

Edited by rsmphoto

1 hour ago, rsmphoto said:

As mentioned in the referenced thread above, there is a way -  the Hasselblad HTS on the Leica S cameras using the H->S adapter and the HCD 24 (36) or 28 (42). The HTS factor is 1.5x as I've indicated. It works, and in fact the auto focus works with the HTS on the S, something that wasn't supported by Hasselblad with my H3DII-39. I used this setup with the Leica S2 for some time, so I know it works. I'd go to a Hasselblad dealer and give it a try to see how you like it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had this setup with my H6D-100c and never felt like the images were tack sharp.  I may fall back to Canon 5dsr with 24mm tilt/shift. 

Thanks again,

Greg

For architecture, one would need something like 17/ 24/ 35/ 50 mm shift lenses. These are available for Canon/ Nikon/ Sony DSLR and mirrorless cameras and many can be adapted to the Fuji GFX (within their image circle limits). Unfortunately Leica never did and does not intend to offer wide angle shift lenses for the Leica S and the lenses mentioned above cannot be a adapted* to the S due to its deep flange distance. 

*Apart from 35/ 40/ 50mm 645 and 66 lenses, but possibly no adapters available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrismuc said:

For architecture, one would need something like 17/ 24/ 35/ 50 mm shift lenses. These are available for Canon/ Nikon/ Sony DSLR and mirrorless cameras and many can be adapted to the Fuji GFX (within their image circle limits). Unfortunately Leica never did and does not intend to offer wide angle shift lenses for the Leica S and the lenses mentioned above cannot be a adapted* to the S due to its deep flange distance. 

*Apart from 35/ 40/ 50mm 645 and 66 lenses, but possibly no adapters available.

problem with Leica S is the longish flange distance, if not they could easily be fitted to an Cambo Actus.... actually, i think you still can do that, but the widest you will get will likely be those larger 6x6 or 6x7 lens at about 55mm

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Use a Rodenstock lens wide angle, an ALPA / NOVOFLEX BELLOWS ADAPTER WITH „HOOKS“, a Novoflex Balpro & a Novoflex adapter for the Leica S. Only problem is likely the flange distance is too much for the Leica S. So infinity might be impossible. You will want to download the lens specs to find the flange distance. The Sinar 30/45 back is much better for this task.

An alternative is the Arca Swiss F universalis or the Linhof Techno.

The widest Rodenstock lens is 32mm with a pretty big image circle so you can shift and stitch the shot.

added: Afraid the flange distance is too short for the 32mm once you add the bellows

Either way, a mirrorless body is much more flexible paired with a technical camera body than the S. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lx1713
  • Like 1

Thank you, as you said the mirrorless is a much more flexible solution.  After spending a lot of time on this, I purchased the Lumix S1R.  The S1R with the Sigma EF to L adaptor and the Canon 24mm Tilt/Shift, has made for a fairly simple solution.  The added benefit of the High Res mode has been nice as well.  That being said, I still personally prefer shooting with the S.

Thanks again,

Greg

11 hours ago, Greg Haag said:

Thank you, as you said the mirrorless is a much more flexible solution.  After spending a lot of time on this, I purchased the Lumix S1R.  The S1R with the Sigma EF to L adaptor and the Canon 24mm Tilt/Shift, has made for a fairly simple solution.  The added benefit of the High Res mode has been nice as well.  That being said, I still personally prefer shooting with the S.

Thanks again,

Greg

I think you should give Actus Cambo a try. They have an L mount solution for using with S1R.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 12:14 AM, xiaubauu2009 said:

I think you should give Actus Cambo a try. They have an L mount solution for using with S1R.

Curious if anyone has direct experience of using the Cambo Actus with a mirrorless - I’m looking at the Actus to use with the S1R (in high res mode), and typically with front rise for architecture to avoid keystoning. (1) when the camera movement is used, is one likely to get colour cast (if so, how to correct), and/or smearing?; (2) are the Actar lenses sufficiently good for this type of high res capture?; (3) there are various Actus models, is one more suited to an S1R in high res mode in terms of 100% stability?

Edited by Jon Warwick

2 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Curious if anyone has direct experience of using the Cambo Actus with a mirrorless - I’m looking at the Actus to use with the S1R (in high res mode), and typically with front rise for architecture to avoid keystoning. (1) when the camera movement is used, is one likely to get colour cast (if so, how to correct), and/or smearing?; (2) are the Actar lenses sufficiently good for this type of high res capture?; (3) there are various Actus models, is one more suited to an S1R in high res mode in terms of 100% stability?

Jon, there is a gentleman on getdpi using one with the fuji 50s, here is a link to his thread in case it might be helpful.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/65946-fuji-50s-r-technical-camera.html

On 5/10/2019 at 2:07 PM, Greg Haag said:

Thanks again,

Greg

That sounds like a very interesting combination, the Canon 24 T/S lens is one of my favorites but it was some time ago since I used Canon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

I use it a lot with GFX, Sony, even Leica M.

1. depending on the type of lens you use. Generally SLR design lens won't have color cast. Also depend on the type of sensor you have.I once adapted a Sigma DP3M to a Sony E-mount mirrorless. It will turn green with shift.

2. the 24mm Actar I think is an adaptation from the Samyang 24mm tilt shift. It has a warm rendering and the image circle is about 70~ish close to 75mm, pretty good for shifting.

This is M10P + Actar 24 with 3 image stitch.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3. Get the latest one that you can change the rear mount standard, that way, you can adapt to any kind of camera with just a swap of the rear mount. So far, I have 4 mount - GFX, E-Mount, L Mount, and M Mount, all pretty nice to have. For stability, please use electric shutter. the newer M10p is also usable, albeit not perfect.

For wide angle selection, you are pretty much stuck with the actar 24mm and the cambo adapted 35mm Contax 645, or you can try to use the Canon TSE stuff with their canon ef mount plate, Leica M won't be able to focus to infinity. For longer focal length, I think you can play with a lot of option. I like small enlarging lens, such as the WA Rodagon 60mm f/4, Rodagon APO Rodagon 120mm etc. They have no distortion and also super high resolution.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2