Anyone using Q & SL?

44 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

I did until I switched to the X1D. Loved the SL with the 24-90 and adapted M lenses.

It was my SL with 24-90 that was taken.  Fine outdoor kit but somewhat lacking indoors, where I found the RX1 or M-lens helpful.  What role did (does) the Q play in your kit?

Edited by paul.bridges.3388

2 hours ago, paul.bridges.3388 said:

It was my SL with 24-90 that was taken.  Fine outdoor kit but somewhat lacking indoors, where I found the RX1 or M-lens helpful.  What role did (does) the Q play in your kit?

Sorry about your SL. I consider the Q (now Q2) to be my main/primary camera and it goes with me everywhere. Other cameras are in my bag to cover other focal lengths, but I'm never without the Q.  With the SL I often carried a 21 sem, 50/0.95, and 90 macro-elmar.  Currently it's a X1D with a XCD 21/4 and 80/1.9.  Most of my photography involves documenting my life/family and I prefer to shoot with a 28/50mm-ish kind of setup.  I also travel often and I like to have a ultrawide for landscapes, cityscapes, and architecture. For everything else I have a Fuji X setup.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, paul.bridges.3388 said:

What role does each play for you?

I use the Q as an everyday walkaround camera.

I use the SL and fast glass (F1 Nocti, 50 SL and 75 SL) for creative stuff... and "serious" photography.

• Like 2

+1 on Donzo

I use the Q2 for street and walk around, and the SL for portraits, low light with fast glass (or use of Zooms)

I used the SL prior for landscapes and cityscapes, but since buying the X1D that is what this is dedicated to

I sold a couple of M bodies after I bought the Q2

• Like 1

Yes I have Q & SL. SL+24-90 is for wedding or landscape photography, Q is as a back-up and a walk around camera. Actually I like the Q so much I use it for all sorts of things. I'm almost never without it.

One thing to remember about Q2 is that the SL battery (which it shares) is blinking expensive. I have 3 at approx £100 each. I have 6 Q batteries, only one of which is Leica. I just don't believe Panasonic make worse batteries than Leica. 

ps I'm hoping the Sigma 85 1.4 Art L lens will work properly with the SL. Can't justify the Leica equivalent and f4 on the 24-90 just doesn't always cut it. 

Edited by antigallican
forgot something

2 hours ago, antigallican said:

One thing to remember about Q2 is that the SL battery (which it shares) is blinking expensive. I have 3 at approx £100 each.

ps I'm hoping the Sigma 85 1.4 Art L lens will work properly with the SL. Can't justify the Leica equivalent and f4 on the 24-90 just doesn't always cut it. 

Funnily enough, I kinda justified the Q2 purchase on the basis that I had a redundant SL battery left over from he theft.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, antigallican said:

Yes I have Q ps I'm hoping the Sigma 85 1.4 Art L lens will work properly with the SL. Can't justify the Leica equivalent and f4 on the 24-90 just doesn't always cut it. 

I bought the SL thinking the 24-90 would give me the “ultimate all in one package”.  But, as you say, the F4 is limiting.  Hence, adding the 35/1.4, which was a joy to use in lowlight with the SL.

I bought the Q2 in my ongoing (naive?) quest for the “ultimate all in one camera” but I’m now finding that I STILL miss the SL & 35/1.4 for low light....

• Like 1