Leica R 35mm advice

Lucio L.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sold my Summilux 35/1.4 R because I didn't need it any more. When I first started reflex photography (with film and an R9) I wanted at least one wide aperture lens. It's big and heavy, and I found that I was using my 28/90 R (despite the smaller aperture) almost all the time, and then I also got an M (240) with the lovely little Summarit M 35/2.4. I know the OP doesn't need good performance at the full-frame edges, but just to say that completely wide open, the Summilux does vignette, and is a bit soft near the edges of the frame. It was designed originally as a reportage lens, for which application these limitations are less important.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:25 PM, wlaidlaw said:

I cannot believe the demand for R Summiluxes is coming from the ever diminishing pool of R users.

Wilson

Here in Nieuw Amsterdam I've noticed Summiluxes along with the R 90 Summicron APO, swept up by professional videographers and filmmakers.  

5 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Here in Nieuw Amsterdam I've noticed Summiluxes along with the R 90 Summicron APO, swept up by professional videographers and filmmakers.  

James that was my guess too. I suspect it is somewhat of a fashion thing and R lenses have suddenly become fashionable. One factor is that the required image circle for video is smaller than still photography and this to some extent eliminates one of the problems with the R Summiluxes on full frame - vignetting. I notice this when using my recent acquisition of the 28mm/f1,4 7Artisans M mount lens. When I use it on my M240 (and to a lesser extent on my various  film M's), it has noticeable softening at the edges and vignetting. On my CL with its APS-C crop frame, I just don't notice it, so end up with a very effective fast 42mm lens. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I don't know about Elmarits with slow film. Nowadays with color, the limit with rare exception is ISO 400. That extra stop will make all the difference. IMHO, Summicrons are the way to go. Can't comment on B&W film for which the M6 is my go-to. Hate looking at a yellow, orange or red world that's tough to focus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my R35 Lux 20 years ago and have kept it ever since. I find the IQ amazing yet different to the M 35 Lux. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Within its aperture range, the 35-70 R equals or betters the 35 R primes … and apart from less effective differential focus, f4 is no real detriment when used with modern digital ICL cameras. My previous concerns ref flare turned out to be light leaks in the Novoflex R adapters … both the R to SL, and R to Sony E … now remedied by use of a black velour band. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

2 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

My previous concerns ref flare turned out to be light leaks in the Novoflex R adapters … both the R to SL, and R to Sony E … now remedied by use of a black velour band. 

dunk

And here I thought the Novoflex adapters were built far better than the usual Chinese 💩 on fleaBay. 

45 minutes ago, james.liam said:

And here I thought the Novoflex adapters were built far better than the usual Chinese 💩 on fleaBay. 

Any adapter is usually fine until used in extreme conditions … e.g. with low Sun directly illuminating the adapter from the side … or with night time bright city lights illuminating the coupling 'join'. 

dunk

• 2 months later...