Sign in to follow this  
Lucio L.

Leica R 35mm advice

Hi there!
I'm new to the Leica universe and I'm currently in the market for a 35mm with R mount.
Being a filmmaker,  top notch build quality and long focus throw are crucial to me, that's why I'd like to test some Leica lenses.
I work with Super35 sensors (similar to APS-C in size) so rendition at the edges of the 35mm frame is irrelevant to me.
Field curvature, CA, contrast and sharpness, on the other hand, are very important factors.
I'm looking for a lens that's fully usable at f/2 or at least 2.8, so even an Elmarit could be okay.
I hope that's enough information to receive some advice from the experienced Leica users.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Lucio

Welcome Lucio,

If Elmarit-R 35mm (this one "III" ) , consensus from many people this is the best 35mm R lens.

Even with very demanding Kodachrome (my film days), I've found that my Summicron-R II ( like this one from wiki ... ) is good enough so never want another 35mm R, like

Summilux-R 35mm scarse and very expensive/weighthy .

I had never seen "bad 35mm R lens", if in good shape of course.

Tough of Leica R lens history :

When changing lens, I dropped my then 35mm Summicron-R from the height of my motobike on the road.

The focus ring was locked to infinity, but the rest was ok for the rest of my month long trip.

When I came back home I've replaced with another one that I always use.

The old Cron sold "cheap" (price of a filter ! ) to a happy tinkerer who was able to unlock the focus ring.

Your options are Summilux f1.4, Summicron f2 or Elmarit f2.8. 

If you're not using it on an R camera then you can benefit by looking for one of the earlier 1 or 2 cam lenses which usually sell for less than the 3 cam or 'R' lens. Look for a version 1 Summicron, I think you'd be very happy with that. 

Thank you very much for the answers!
The Summicron is definitely the most attractive, due the speed/price balance, but I just found an Elmarit III version for a good price, so I'm leaning toward it, considering what a.noctilux wrote. I'm just not sure if the lens I found it's actually a third version. It has a built-in hood and a SN over 296XXXX, but the scale of distances ends with 3-5-10m instead of 2-4-10m like in the picture I see in the leica-wiki link. Are there 2 different versions of the III version?

Build in hood is definetly series III, only the inscriptions have been changed around 1988. By the way, series II (with the square shaped hood) shares the same optics.

Just received the lens. Unfortunately, there's definitely something wrong with it, despite it looks and feels like new.
It doesn't focus beyond 50cm and everithing is a blurred mess. Gonna return it and try again...

Am 8.4.2019 um 12:48 schrieb Lucio L.:

It doesn't focus beyond 50cm and everithing is a blurred mess.

Wow, that looks like the lens was disassembled and then put together incorrectly. Normally, an Elmarit-R 35 should be tack sharp.

I can recommend buying R lenses from Dr. Thomas Merkt in Germany. His prices are very competitive and I have never had a bad used lens from him either M or R. He sells on eBay under the name of http://www.ebay.de/usr/toms-camera-laden The other folk I would recommend are Ffordes in Scotland. I have been using them since they were in Essex, more years ago than I care to remember. You get a no-quibble service from them and they will immediately refund if there is a problem with anything. 

Wilson