Ektachrome excitement

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After 16 years I am going to shoot slides again! Excited :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

I'm still in process of shooting my first roll of the new Extrachrome - have been waiting for Texas wildflower season. I also unfroze a roll of old Ektachrome G and have it in another camera for comparisons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomB_tx said:

I'm still in process of shooting my first roll of the new Extrachrome - have been waiting for Texas wildflower season. I also unfroze a roll of old Ektachrome G and have it in another camera for comparisons.

Now that will be interesting Tom, old vs new?

Gary

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Finally got the film developed and received the quick scans from the lab. Even with 2mp scans, I am floored. Can't wait to receive the actual slides in the mail and scan it myself.

I loved the colors. I had asked the lab not to do any correction while scanning. I am assuming it is what it is. Little cooler in evening shots but it does convey the actual light.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

After 4 rolls, I understood that:

- Lab scans are useless. I compared the colors by optical projection of the slides and my own scan using M240 and BEOON are so much closer.

- When using BEOON, I did WB set to the light pad first (it is supposed to be 5K). This gave me closer colors. Small curve adjustment had to be done to DNG to match what I could see in optical projection.

I am floored by the rich colors of the slides. :) See here 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/284086-leica-m-film-photos-feel-free-to-share-yours/page/34/?tab=comments#comment-3793694

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I shot 5 rolls of Ektachrome during summer holiday. I ended up with 44 good pictures. With bracketing for difficult shots included, 20% success rate is not bad. 😁

This is the compilation of my scans. 

Leica M2, 50lux ASPH, 40 Summicron-c, 5cm Elmer and CV 21 f4 MC. Last two as hiking lens. Scanned with BEOON. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 3:20 PM, jmahto said:

I shot 5 rolls of Ektachrome during summer holiday. I ended up with 44 good pictures. With bracketing for difficult shots included, 20% success rate is not bad. 😁

This is the compilation of my scans. 

Leica M2, 50lux ASPH, 40 Summicron-c, 5cm Elmer and CV 21 f4 MC. Last two as hiking lens. Scanned with BEOON. 

very nice, Jayant.  Looks like you had real fun and I love the terrain.  I m not sold on the new E100!  The colors are indeed richer than the Provia 100F and more realistic than the Velvia.  But I am not a huge fan of the magenta shadow cast.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A miller said:

very nice, Jayant.  Looks like you had real fun and I love the terrain.  I m not sold on the new E100!  The colors are indeed richer than the Provia 100F and more realistic than the Velvia.  But I am not a huge fan of the magenta shadow cast.  

Thanks for encouraging comment. I am mainly comparing with Ektar and I like the colors. So far I haven’t found color cast in shadows (Ektar shadows had color cast). Check out these two in my Flickr page. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, jmahto said:

Thanks for encouraging comment. I am mainly comparing with Ektar and I like the colors. So far I haven’t found color cast in shadows (Ektar shadows had color cast). Check out these two in my Flickr page. 

I indeed noticed magenta cast in the shadows (and also elsewhere) in some of the photos in your slide show.  

These blue casts seem at least partially due to the scanner.  The scene is very contrast.  Usually Ektar benefits from a bit more light where there are deep shadows. It tends to give some casts (pick your color) however as a C41 film it is easier to correct in PP, at least in my experience. 

4 hours ago, jmahto said:

Jayant, the first works nicely for me but the second seems to have a problem. Looking at the shoreline in the middle distance I'm guessing too much magenta but, whatever colour is skewed, the water in the foreground is a bit too wacky for my taste.😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jmahto said:

the 2nd image has a truckload of magenta

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Jayant,

Nice photos.

With a 20% success rate what type of meter did you use? Keeping in tune with the time period: At the time that your M2 was built meter technology was reasonably well developed.

Best Regards,

Michael

I use Gossen Digisix2. In contrasty scenes (like above two), I bracketed and picked what I liked. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wattsy said:

Jayant, the first works nicely for me but the second seems to have a problem. Looking at the shoreline in the middle distance I'm guessing too much magenta but, whatever colour is skewed, the water in the foreground is a bit too wacky for my taste.😀

Water is indeed saturated in blue. My first reaction was that it was due to deep blue sky at altitude (10,000ft). Wacky or not, I liked it. 😊

Another thing I have noticed is that in early morning and late evening sunlight the colors are quite a bit saturated with orange color. In my Flickr page there are some examples. I thought it was due to film being day light balanced. I am yet to start using color correction filters (warming or cooling). Suggestions welcome. 

Edited by jmahto