New CL Firmware

2 hours ago, Louis said:

I am using Nikkor manual lenses ( not zooms) and the up arrow works fine for focus peaking and magnifying.. I don’t know about zoom, but with primes it works fine. 

Thanks.. I am not using 6-bit encoded lenses.  I'm using a dumb (non-electronic) cheap mechanical coupling to attach my Nikkor manual focus lenses.  I wanted to make sure that the focus aid (is magnify or zoom the correct terminology?) of pressing up arrow ^ didn't disappear before upgrading to v2.2.

Edited by b55er

3 hours ago, b55er said:

Thanks.. I am not using 6-bit encoded lenses.  I'm using a dumb (non-electronic) cheap mechanical coupling to attach my Nikkor manual focus lenses.  I wanted to make sure that the focus aid (is magnify or zoom the correct terminology?) of pressing up arrow ^ didn't disappear before upgrading to v2.2.

I am using Novoflex adapter for my MF old Nikkor lenses. This adapter doesn't have any electrical connection to the camera. But I don't have any problem for using focus peaking and magnifying with the arrow. They both work perfectly well. Of course, since it doesn't have any electrical connection, it doesn't have any lens profiling that gives any  information about the lens. But frankly, I don't care about that since I can use my several Nikkor lenses without any problem.

You mentioned "cheap" adapter. Novoflex is not cheap, but I don't see why any other adapter between the lens and the camera couldn't work!

2 hours ago, Louis said:

You mentioned "cheap" adapter. Novoflex is not cheap, but I don't see why any other adapter between the lens and the camera couldn't work!

Yeah.. I'm using a cheap (~$18 USD) Fotosay Nikon to Leica L (NK-LT) adapter.  It's a simple mechanical coupler for the Nikkor.  Decent fit and finish, no aperture control (Nikkor must have aperture control), no electrical connections.  Made in CN.

Thank you for confirming that magnification and peaking are still functional using non-electrical connected lenses.

Before pulling the trigger on v2.2, I'd like to know what other differences are being observed with this fw from the previous version.  As Leica isn't proving us with a change list other than L compatibility, I wonder what bugs have been squashed or operational differences are.  Thanks in advance! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by b55er

I am using an adaptor to connect my Nikkor lenses to the camera. As long as a lens is connected, you can control aperture, focus, etc, on the lens manually as you normally do on a manual Nikon camera. But on CL, you also have focus peaking and magnification to help.

Now, as the new FW, from my understanding, it recognizes additional “Leica mount” lenses. This is not my concerns since I am not using any Leica lens and any Leica adapter that is made for Leica lens. Therefore, I have no reason to update my FW which, as usual, would screw up my frame numbering, re-starting from “1” again.

i hope I could answer your question.

16 hours ago, b55er said:

Even if you press the up arrow?  

On v2.1 using a manual focus lens with a non-Leica Nikon adapter, I get zoom by pressing up arrow ^.  

Did this disappear with v2.2?  

Thanks. 

what do you mean by pressing the arrow up ? How to activate that ? I have to use the left dial to magnify the view.

Edited by nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Installed update 2.2 yesterday. Then I photographed 150 negatives and instant film prints using my copy setup. I see no changes in overall behavior or control operation, or image rendering. 

I see no particular point to NOT installing the firmware update, even if I never have one of the lenses it now supports. Personally, I can never understand why someone would not install an update unless the update proved to have serious regressions or broke something critical to your needs. This one supplies mostly an expansion to the camera's capabilities, even if you never use it, and might have minor bug fixes that are not worthy of being mentioned in detail.

Eh, what do I know? :D

2 hours ago, ramarren said:

[...]  I see no particular point to NOT installing the firmware update, even if I never have one of the lenses it now supports. Personally, I can never understand why someone would not install an update unless the update proved to have serious regressions or broke something critical to your needs [...]

So you don't mind the stupid frame numbering of the Leica CL, or you believe it is not stupid at all, or you like manual renumbering each time you update the firmware. To each his own but thanks no thanks from me.

• Like 1

Godfrey renames his files when he uploads them, so he doesn't see what the fuss is all about. Leica also seems to feel that if a problem can be solved with some Adobe script, it can't be serious.

But I agree that I always update simply because if I don't and something isn't right, I can't complain or get it fixed.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Preserving file numbering after firmware update worked fine on the M9.  To put that another way, this functionality got broken.  The fact that Leica can't be bothered to fix this is really irritating.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

what do you mean by pressing the arrow up ? How to activate that ? I have to use the left dial to magnify the view.

I have been talking about using third party manual lenses that the adaptor has no electrical connection with the camera. 

The frame numbering is, to me, a complete non-issue. I don't care what my frames are numbered or named. :D My tools order my exposures by the capture date and time, file names/numbers are flexible and changed often. 

The M9 (and indeed all M line) firmware has nothing to do with the CL firmware. Nothing at all. 

Edited by ramarren

6 hours ago, ramarren said:

Installed update 2.2 yesterday. Then I photographed 150 negatives and instant film prints using my copy setup. I see no changes in overall behavior or control operation, or image rendering. 

I see no particular point to NOT installing the firmware update, even if I never have one of the lenses it now supports. Personally, I can never understand why someone would not install an update unless the update proved to have serious regressions or broke something critical to your needs. This one supplies mostly an expansion to the camera's capabilities, even if you never use it, and might have minor bug fixes that are not worthy of being mentioned in detail.

Eh, what do I know? :D

I'm not interested in any update that does not cure Leica's wandering focus point blooper.

• Like 4

I agree 100%. Since you are the Moderator have you talked to Leica about this?

If they read this Forum they  must know how we feel. If they use the CL they must

know what a pain it is  Thanks for all your posts and hard work.

Dan

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, faxao said:

Weird.....infact regardless of old the files left on the SD card, the new shots numbering restarts from C000001. Reset numbering makes the new shots start from C1020001. 🤔

If it follows the previous pattern it will only continue sequential numbering after a firmware upgrade if you have X1000999 or less.

Anything more and it will reset back to zero. All this has been going on since M240 days and Leica have been told repeatedly about it but just can't be bothered to add a few lines of code or offer an option on upgrade.

No doubt the camera still cannot count beyond 999 before starting a new folder instead of 9999 as well. I despair. 

Edited by thighslapper

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I'm not interested in any update that does not cure Leica's wandering focus point blooper.

There's another issue that does not affect me at all since I only use M and R lenses (and the occasional Nikkor or whatever) on my CL. Sorry; I can only speak with my needs and use in mind. I don't presume to speak for everyone's needs and use.