Leica M 262 hangs while scrolling menu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

problem could have existed since long but I have just discovered it. Please test yours and let me know if such a problem is common.

problem can be regenerated (not always) if you do the following: 

1- make sure the camera is off first. Switch it on and directly go to menu.

2- scroll over items slowly downward (allow 2sec between each scroll)

3- camera will probably hang on last item

i have noticed if you scroll quick the problem will not arrise.

check it out here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds1p1u7zbp37wso/IMG_2404.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

woukd appreciate your feedback.

thanks 

Edited by HeartBeat

I found a secret reset function.  Pull the battery out when power is still on.  It will reset everything on the camera to factory even time/date. 

P.S. you probably want to save your users settings before doing it. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 5:28 PM, Robert_ said:

I had the same issue when I first got my 262, froze up once I scrolled down to copyright. I can't remember how I got rid of it now but I did reset it and update the firmware, hasn't happened since.

I just received my new M (typ 262) and round it to be a little "buggy" as well. By loading the most current firmware and performing a reset all issues are cleared up.

• 3 months later...

I just posted the following as a "New Topic":

I acquired a slightly used M 262 recently and had a problem of it hanging / freezing at the copyright menu option - only turning it off and back on would clear it.

The previous owner did not use the camera all that much and only put less than two thousand shutter clicks on it.  He professed no issues and I’m inclined to believe him.

When I try to go into the copyright option and populate the fields, as I scroll through to choose letters, they sometime disappear before I can choose and move to the next one.  One time (and only one time) other menu items began blinking and doing weird stuff.

I did my LUF search and found this thread :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/295791-leica-m-262-hangs-while-scrolling-menu/?tab=comments#comment-3713557

I tried all the methods therein to resolve the issue with no luck.  So at this point I’m thinking this is a software / firmware issue and should be easily remedied by Leica NJ at a nominal cost so I packed it up and shipped.

They ran the diagnostics and said the error code indicated the need to replace the sensor assembly which most of you know contains more than just the sensor, yes?

Adjust / replace printed circuit: $2095

Stunned and bummed (would that be “stummed”?).

When I asked if it would stay the same or get progressively worse, the reply was, “Though we can never know for sure, it is extremely likely that the problem can get worse over time if not taken care of.”  Is that CYA or what?

The upshot is I had the camera returned without the repair and made a fair cash settlement with the seller (while keeping the camera).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their M 262?

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 11:34 AM, HeartBeat said:

Hi

problem could have existed since long but I have just discovered it. Please test yours and let me know if such a problem is common.

problem can be regenerated (not always) if you do the following: 

1- make sure the camera is off first. Switch it on and directly go to menu.

2- scroll over items slowly downward (allow 2sec between each scroll)

3- camera will probably hang on last item

i have noticed if you scroll quick the problem will not arrise.

check it out here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds1p1u7zbp37wso/IMG_2404.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

woukd appreciate your feedback.

thanks 

Use a 240 M-E (the same series of electronics as 262), but could not replicate regardless how much I have tried. Have tried several times.

Firmware 2.0.6.0

You have also deleted your movie above, so not possible to verify your "problem".

What firmware do you use?

If a very old one the first thing to do (with all cameras, and regardless of brand) before you send it in for "repair", is to upgrade to the latest firmware. And specifically for software bugs like you describe above.

The whole handle of this issue by you seems to be totally illogical and irrational (at least to me). But if your not familiar with how modern electronics (with software) works, now you have got some good advice. Hopefully you also learnt something from the advices in this thread to try out next time this happens with any products potential software problems; 1. reset, 2. update to latest software.

First after those two actions it could be the right thing to send in the product for hardware diagnose, but it should not be done before 1 or 2 (if you not already have a clear indication of hardware fault).

Good luck! :)

Edited by martinot

On 10/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, martinot said:

Use a 240 M-E (the same series of electronics as 262), but could not replicate regardless how much I have tried. Have tried several times.

Firmware 2.0.6.0

You have also deleted your movie above, so not possible to verify your "problem".

here is the video again https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpgxjy4nygb43xf/Video 27-10-2020%2C 6 19 17 PM.mov?dl=0

What firmware do you use?

I already got latest firmware 1.0.0.7 provided on Nov 2017

If a very old one the first thing to do (with all cameras, and regardless of brand) before you send it in for "repair", is to upgrade to the latest firmware. And specifically for software bugs like you describe above.

The whole handle of this issue by you seems to be totally illogical and irrational (at least to me).

Illogical ??  Have you noticed above that there were 3 users having the same exact issue like mine ? !!! 🤷‍♂️

But if your not familiar with how modern electronics (with software) works, now you have got some good advice. Hopefully you also learnt something from the advices in this thread to try out next time this happens with any products potential software problems; 1. reset, 2. update to latest software.

I am totally aware of the above.. thank you for the advise and yes I have tried everything the users have said but still got the same problem.

First after those two actions it could be the right thing to send in the product for hardware diagnose, but it should not be done before 1 or 2 (if you not already have a clear indication of hardware fault).

Good luck! :)

Edited by HeartBeat

Sorry lost the link of the video .. here is another one https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpgxjy4nygb43xf/Video 27-10-2020%2C 6 19 17 PM.mov?dl=0

I got latest firmware 1.0.0.7

I have tried resetting .. tried taking battery off .. tried formatting the SD card and still got the problem

I can live with it but I will NOT pay $$$ to fix it as Leica suggested. I believe this is a software problem that can be solved by a new firmware. But would Leica pay attention the the M 262 to publish a new firmware after 3 years of latest one ? I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the hanging problem in M TYP 262 when I use the "direction pad" dial to scroll down the "copyright" menu.

But it does'nt happen if I do the same using the "setting dial" to scroll down.

I have firmware 1.0.0.6 now.

Need to update and see if the 1.0.0.7 firmware can fix this.

Edited by Sudheer
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 3:54 PM, HeartBeat said:

firmware 1.0.0.7 Will not solve the problem.

True.

I updated to 1.0.0.7 there seems to be no change in the behavior. 

One work around I found was to keep the down-key (of the direction-pad) pressed (rather than click) when you reach near the copyright menu.

This will make it move to the next page. After that if you go back, the hanging problem is not there. This needs to be done everytime we power up.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 4:48 PM, Leica_Leo said:

Just received mine and it freezes too if I want to go further down "copyright"

Maybe you infringed the copyright... 😁
Sorry just a silly joke. I tried to replicate, but my M240 doesn't freeze doing that.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

Just bought a used mint M262, after a few years without a digital M (sold the M9 and kept the M6), and it too freezes when stoping at the Copyright menu option (if you keep the D-Pad down button pressed it passes by and doesn't freeze, and if you use the wheel to go down the menu instead it works fine also). 

Did the reset thing and also reinstalled the firmware (1.1.0.0) but still freezes if you use the d-pad down and stop in the copyright option (which by the way doesn't store whatever information you put there, it always resets to OFF and nothing there). 

Still deciding whether to keep the camera or send it back. If it's only this minor software bug, which can be overcome by using the wheel instead, it's no biggie, but is this a sympton of a problematic camera, even with some electronics needing replacement? 

I'd appreciate some insight from those who have the M262 with this exact same problem, a few of which are in this topic.

Thank you in advance!