Big_g

Never used a 10 stop filter on my M before.

I had always assumed that the M wasn't really capable of getting long enough exposures to be worth messing about with my 10 stop ND. I tried it on Saturday to see what would happen at it meters up to 60 second exposures. I was extremely pleased with some of the results. Obviously I hadn't researched this well enough!

Both are M240 with 18mm Super Elmar and a Lee Big Stopper. The 18mm has an adapter ring to give it a 77mm filter thread so I can use the filters from my SLRs with it but the slots in the adapter to allow you to see though it with a viewfinder mean there are massive reflections on the rear of the filter which makes it unusable unless you cover it. I will be taking it over as soon as I get some black tape but a lens cloth wrapped around the back to the shade did the trick when I was in the field. 

The second shot looks fairly heavily processed but other than messing around with highlights and shadows and fixing a large blown out area (the sun came out halfway through the shot) it is very representative of the actual scene. 

M2403413-Edit.jpg by Big_g2, on Flickr

M2403472-Edit.jpg by Big_g2, on Flickr

it is very nice.  The only question that I have is whether you could have attained the same motion blur effect with a 6 or even 3 stop filter.  If you could, I'l bet you'd have gotten less vignetting, which I think tends to detract from the beauty of the image because it interferes with the viewer's ability to look around all of the edges of the image and tends to force the viewer's eye on the center.  

Having said all of that, 60 seconds is really not THAT long of an exposure, so I don't think it is clearly overboard.  I just think 10 seconds would have probably been more than plenty.

I agree with Adam that the vignetting is distracting.  That said, I still love both photos--thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comments. As I very seldom use long exposures and never before on the M I only had a 10 stop option. 

I agree that the vignette may not be to everyone's taste but I prefer it this way :) There is very little of actual interest on the edges of the frame, just some rough grass which doesn't really add much to the image. 

Thanks again. 

Maybe the 10 stop is fine as you can use it for clouds as well. Then you would be fine with quite long exposures. Otherwise it is certainly correct that for water a 6 stop filter is fine as well.

Very good job with the long exposures! When I had the M240 I was very frustrated by the 60 sec limit, but in this case (waterfalls) I think that any digital M would do, since 60 sec are definitely long enough to smoothen the water.

As far as the composition, since there isn't much happening in the water in the very close foreground on both shots, would you consider trying to crop both images to something like 16:9, keeping all the sky and getting rid of some of the foreground? IMHO it would strengthen the composition :) just a suggestion of course.

Best regards,

Vieri

Thanks for the suggestion Vieri. I will give it some thought. 

On 4/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, Vieri said:

Very good job with the long exposures! When I had the M240 I was very frustrated by the 60 sec limit, but in this case (waterfalls) I think that any digital M would do, since 60 sec are definitely long enough to smoothen the water.

As far as the composition, since there isn't much happening in the water in the very close foreground on both shots, would you consider trying to crop both images to something like 16:9, keeping all the sky and getting rid of some of the foreground? IMHO it would strengthen the composition :) just a suggestion of course.

Best regards,

Vieri

Fine pictures.

Yet I think, Vieri is right with his suggestion for cropping.

The first picture has its focus on the piece of rock being the center of the nebulous water. The fall in the backdrop is more of a distracting character. So trying a crop here could make sense.

In the second picture the shrubs and trees at the left and right are only a frame, so that here a crop seems to be helpful.

I like the focus and soft water in the first picture and the atmosphere in the second one. Keep going !

3 hours ago, Big_g said:

Thanks for the suggestion Vieri. I will give it some thought. 

You are very welcome, glad you found my suggestions useful :)  Best regards,

Vieri