Thumbs up on the Q2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, digitalstew said:

If you're interested, as of today, PopFlash is now shipping the Match Technical Thumbs Up for the Q2.

I cancelled my order...

The Chinese knock off is fine :) They refunded my 130.88 today...

30 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

I cancelled my order...

The Chinese knock off is fine :) They refunded my 130.88 today...

I kept my Chinese model too. You really notice the 3 grams difference in weight 

neil 

My Fotomix thumb rest did not fit properly! He was a bit too long, which is not right.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have the same one. Mine fits perfectly. 

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received ny Fotomix today-fits perfectly. Thanks Donzo98 for the heads up.  It is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting for mine... meanwhile and as I have a Q1 too, I’ve tried the Q1 thumbsup on the Q2: does not fit perfectly but can do, it is a 2mm difference, the gap is not bothering. But zi will be glad to receive the adapted one!

I wouldn't get the Fotomix and instead will wait for the Mach Technical. Reason, I want the version that screws in. I had a Mach Technical that slides into the hot shoe but didn't screw in, and it came out at some point without my realizing it, so I bought the Mach Technical that screws in and it never came out.

I wouldn't get the Fotomix and instead will wait for the Mach Technical. Reason, I want the version that screws in. I had a Mach Technical that slides into the hot shoe but didn't screw in, and it came out at some point without my realizing it, so I bought the Mach Technical that screws in and it never came out.

The Match Technical Q2 version does not have screws... I wound buying one just to see the difference between it and the Fotomix.

Honestly... I don't see any reason to get the Match version. If you are super anal like me, and just have to have the "BEST" one, pay the premium and get it for peace of mind.

In reality though... there is no difference.

18 hours ago, Donzo98 said:

The Match Technical Q2 version does not have screws... I wound buying one just to see the difference between it and the Fotomix.

Honestly... I don't see any reason to get the Match version. If you are super anal like me, and just have to have the "BEST" one, pay the premium and get it for peace of mind.

In reality though... there is no difference.

While it may not make a bit of difference in practical use, once again, there is an actual difference, and that's the metal they're made from. Match Technical's Thumbs Up is made of brass, while the Fotomix is made of aluminum. Some folks might care about that.

I can also verify the current Match Technical Thumbs Up for the Q2 does NOT have the retaining screw, but I've had mine for about three weeks and I've had no problems with it coming loose yet. It's a very snug fit.

3 hours ago, digitalstew said:

While it may not make a bit of difference in practical use, once again, there is an actual difference, and that's the metal they're made from. Match Technical's Thumbs Up is made of brass, while the Fotomix is made of aluminum. Some folks might care about that.

I can also verify the current Match Technical Thumbs Up for the Q2 does NOT have the retaining screw, but I've had mine for about three weeks and I've had no problems with it coming loose yet. It's a very snug fit.

I care. I have the new Q2 MT Thumbs Up. I love it. I had their Thumbs Up for the Q for over 3 years. The black surface treatment wore away revealing a beautiful brass base material. I thought it made my Q even more special looking. Worn with loving hands. I never needed the screw to hold it tighter. In fact, I occasionally use a flash and were it screwed tight, it would have been too much inconvenience. 

8 hours ago, digitalstew said:

I was wondering what the benefit of brass would be over aluminum? 

If anything I would think aluminum would be lighter, and not “brass”.

Wouldn’t that be better??

1 hour ago, Donzo98 said:

I was wondering what the benefit of brass would be over aluminum? 

If anything I would think aluminum would be lighter, and not “brass”.

Wouldn’t that be better??

Aluminum is certainly an advantage if you're looking to save weight and cost. The Fotomix grip is less than half the price of the Match Technical.

However, aluminum generally does have less tensile strength than brass and would be more easily bent (though there are some very high tensile grades of aluminum, but I doubt Fotomix is using them 🙂.) And while it's highly unlikely bending it would occur in normal use, if you were to, say, drop the aluminum grip and accidentally step on it, you might bend it enough that it wouldn't fit any more. Again, probably not going to happen, but if it did the brass grip would hold up better.

And as @iQ2 mentions, some folks like the worn look that happens with a brass grip (and camera.) Leica completely sold out of the previous $24,500 Lenny Kravitz "Correspondent" Edition of the M-P 240 that was purposely "aged by hand." 🙂 

Edited by digitalstew

9 hours ago, NW67 said:

I find the aluminum one less prone to interfere with the electronics of the Q2. I would never put anything brass on my Q2.......... choices 

neil

I doubt seriously that anyone can tell any difference with respect to affecting the electronics unless the antenna for Bluetooth is under the hot shoe. The metal housing of the camera forms a weak  “Faraday” cage around the electronics. 

It comes down to a personal choice of weight, finish, cost, availability, style....

I really like the slightly larger thumb area of the MT grip. They also did a nice job carving out more access to the zoom button.

I’m intrigued and want to see the new Leica grip that goes across the back of the camera and covers the diopter adjustment. 

Kind of like bags. There’s a lot of variety and an equal number of different tastes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NW67 said:

I find the aluminum one less prone to interfere with the electronics of the Q2. I would never put anything brass on my Q2.......... choices 

neil

I'm curious as to how brass would have more of an adverse effect on the electronics over aluminum... Should I ditch my thumbs up and brass mounted filters?  Does it have something to do with dissimilar metals and galvanic reaction?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...