M10 or M10-P

SMAL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, so I definitely want to add a second M10 to my kit for convenience and less lens changes.

The question is now, should I simply add a second M10 or go for the quieter shutter in the M10-P?

Has anyone in here gone from M10 to M10-P or who has both? Which do you enjoy more and why?

Thank you!

Edited by SMAL

I purchased a M10-P recently, but probably would have been just as happy with the M10. The price difference wasn't significant in the grand scheme of things and I figured, "why not?". The electronic level has been useful with my 21mm. The shutter on the -P is really quiet, but I can't imagine it's a huge difference with the M10. My last digital M was the M8, which sounded like a rusty gate closing in comparison.

Get the M10-P.

You need to spend some time in a store with the “P”.  The shutter is a revelation.  I have had the P for a couple of weeks and I have had a10 for 9 months.  I have yet to use the touch screen to the point where I think it is essential.  That may happen with more use.  The spirit level should be on all digital Ms with live view.  When you are spending that much money, you might as well get the P.

• Like 1

The m10-P is a revelation when it comes to shutter noise ... or lack of it. The damping of the shutter makes it so quiet it hardly makes any noise in comparison with the M10 or M240. 

If you watch the news on TV and you hear the sound of all the press cameras it is like a cacophony. The M10-P shutter is as unobtrusive as its appearance. Wonderful!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Peter Kilmister said:

The m10-P is a revelation when it comes to shutter noise ... or lack of it. The damping of the shutter makes it so quiet it hardly makes any noise in comparison with the M10 or M240.

Just how important is shutter volume between the 10 an 10-P? What's the difference worth in practice?

I would love to have a quieter shutter, and if I had the money I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an M10-P.

But the touch screen is a kind of an anticlimax to me. I feel it somehow destroys some of the purity of an M camera. But that's just me I guess.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, evikne said:

I would love to have a quieter shutter, and if I had the money I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an M10-P.

Can we cast the difference in decibels-per-dollar?

As a study then we can consider average hearing accutance of individuals in the surrounding, ambient noise and the difference between a bloke clicking the shutter alone in his living room.

Edited by pico

This is all depending on your personal preferences. I had them both. My conclusion. I wouldn‘t pay the premium for the P any more. The shutter is fantastic but not worth the price difference since I never use the spirit level (using only the rangefinder) and almost never the touch screen... of course there is also the optical difference. I like the all black M10-P better than the silver one but would always pick the silver M10 over the black one... ☺️

Just my $0.02

Greetings

Erik

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pico said:

Just how important is shutter volume between the 10 an 10-P? What's the difference worth in practice?

Good question! Let's say it is like travelling by air first class compared with economy. All parts of the aeroplane will arrive at the same destination. Travelling is better in first class without a screaming child next to your ear. 

Noise is an annoyance to some people. I prefer peace and quiet. Maybe that's because I enjoy peaceful rural life.  Each to their own. I just gave my opinion. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pico said:

The ear of the beholder...

Other examples differ somewhat based on testing and recording conditions.

Jeff

I went to the Leica Store yesterday evening spontaneously to try both shutters in real life, cause all videos one finds online are not really helpful. Like Jeffs video. It´s way quieter, than the video makes it seem like. The difference is quite big and I liked it, but the touchscreen and spirit level are nothing I need. I love the engraving on top.

My issue is now, that a Leica Boutique close to me offered me 7% off on a regular, brand new M10, while the Store offered around 5% off. All in all this makes the M10-P 1000€ more expensive for a quieter shutter. Today is sunday and I´ll enjoy my day while thinking about my final decision and I am still open for your opinions. :)

I did not buy the 10, but waited for the 10P, and I am glad I did but I don't think the differences are that shocking

Also, objectively,. not sure if it is worth the difference for the quieter shutter, engraving and touch screen

The quieter shutter is great, but not quiet enough to shoot at the opera, the touch screen is handy when you want to check zoom quickly like in 2019 rather than 1999 ..

Is it worth the extra money? For me it was, but this is clearly personal preference and subjective territory  -  unless we all agree that the engraving is objectively several hundred Euros better :)

• Like 1

I waited for the M 10P to arrive, tested it and realized that it was just not worth the money for me. Why would I have to have a shutter, that is more quiet than my MP? Touchscreen? I. never touch my screens, old-fashioned or just keeping my screen clean? 

People never hear my shutter, they see me standing , making a picture, they notice me, not my shutter sound. They never did. I just compared my own cameras on a table before my Macbookpro see screenshot just after te stripe 1,2,3, lines recorded

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M 240-MP-M 10. 

The M 10  you can get  at this  moment, in various countries,  if you do not want to trade in a camera, under €6000,- new ( just ask your dealer !!)

Should I pay € 1500,- more for a M 10P spirit level ? Maybe, but I can use my M240 for that. Quite shutter? Don't let me laugh....Even with my old Nikon F3 , people hardly noticed, because it was in the " somebody else's problem probability field " , maybe? 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Paulus:

I waited for the M 10P to arrive, tested it and realized that it was just not worth the money for me. Why would I have to have a shutter, that is more quiet than my MP? Touchscreen? I. never touch my screens, old-fashioned or just keeping my screen clean? 

People never hear my shutter, they see me standing , making a picture, they notice me, not my shutter sound. They never did. I just compared my own cameras on a table before my Macbookpro see screenshot just after te stripe 1,2,3, lines recorded

M 240-MP-M 10. 

The M 10  you can get  at this  moment, in various countries,  if you do not want to trade in a camera, under €6000,- new ( just ask your dealer !!)

Should I pay € 1500,- more for a M 10P spirit level ? Maybe, but I can use my M240 for that. Quite shutter? Don't let me laugh....Even with my old Nikon F3 , people hardly noticed, because it was in the " somebody else's problem probability field " , maybe? 

Your point isn’t valid for me. The M240s ISO capability is unusable beyond 1600 for me. So a M240 can in no way replace a M10. Not talking about the way better RF. 

Some of my street shots I am doing lately are not while I stand, but while I pass people closely.

In Germany there is no way to get an M10 under 6000€. The cheapest offer I had was 6300€ so far and that’s with a normal retail Price of 6850€ atm in Germany. 

12 hours ago, SMAL said:

I went to the Leica Store yesterday evening spontaneously to try both shutters in real life, cause all videos one finds online are not really helpful. Like Jeffs video. It´s way quieter, than the video makes it seem like. 

And the M10 is roughly proportionately more quiet in each.  As I noted, there are many online examples, differing by testing and recording conditions.  Even in person, depends on camera placement (in hand, on counter, etc), shutter speed, listening distance (user vs observer), etc. But I agree, as with any gear test, always best to  try for yourself.  Even with differences, preferences vary.

Jeff

• Like 1

If I should have bought a new camera today, it would definitely have been an M10-D! I think the integrated fold-out thumb rest is beautiful. Together with the quiet shutter from the M10-P this is a winner combination for me. But a camera without a screen is of course not for everyone.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 4

vor einer Stunde schrieb SMAL:

Your point isn’t valid for me. The M240s ISO capability is unusable beyond 1600 for me. So a M240 can in no way replace a M10. Not talking about the way better RF. 

Some of my street shots I am doing lately are not while I stand, but while I pass people closely.

In Germany there is no way to get an M10 under 6000€. The cheapest offer I had was 6300€ so far and that’s with a normal retail Price of 6850€ atm in Germany. 

1.Düsseldorf, Leisterschneider. Arkadenstraße .€ 5900,-  just ask...send me a p.m if you are interested, I'll give you the name of the seller. 

2. ' Some of my street shots I am doing lately are not while I stand, but while I pass people closely.' I do this too. I was once almost molested in Venice, because a man my saw me making photos , candid. of him. He did not hear my shutter, he saw the camera pointing, that was enough. Since then, I realize, it's more easy to do it, " In the face" I still am astonished by the fact what people tolerate, when you smile to them afterwards. 

Edited by Paulus