I love my M60

LeicaM60

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Any other M60s in the wild? This camera is too special to be kept locked in a safe!

Here’s #093 again:

• Like 1

Using mine......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 2:11 PM, Archiver said:

Holy cow. This is the first time I've seen a user/owner picture, not just a promo image. It looks amazing. How does it feel in the hand compared with the usual M?

It’s a little heavier than the M-D but not noticeably so. I use it with the 50 lux in chrome which is fairly hefty anyway.

The lack of the thumbwheel bump bothered me at first but now less so. There was a special match technical thumbs up but I haven’t tracked one down.....I would probably need it for longer / heavier lenses.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Best camera ever for me - been everywhere with me. Expensive - ohhhh yes - but it is my daily camera so I don't care - I haven't wasted money on other cameras.  Heavy - yes. Very well made - so easy to use. So quiet and unobtrusive.

Can be difficult in airports as security don't understand it. Difficult to remember how to change date and time - for a while I was shooting in 2056!

Do I miss a screen - of course I do sometimes but do I miss all the menu options - never, never, never - they turn a paintbrush into a computer and are written by techies for those who need to know how to, rather than those whose work is simple and instinctive.

It's a real shame the M10-D hasn't adopted the rear ISO ring and on/off switch on top. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the beautiful Luigi M60 case and EP-60 Thumbs Up

• Like 5

On 12/2/2019 at 4:47 AM, Chaipaval said:

Best camera ever for me - been everywhere with me. Expensive - ohhhh yes - but it is my daily camera so I don't care - I haven't wasted money on other cameras.  Heavy - yes. Very well made - so easy to use. So quiet and unobtrusive.

Can be difficult in airports as security don't understand it. Difficult to remember how to change date and time - for a while I was shooting in 2056!

Do I miss a screen - of course I do sometimes but do I miss all the menu options - never, never, never - they turn a paintbrush into a computer and are written by techies for those who need to know how to, rather than those whose work is simple and instinctive.

It's a real shame the M10-D hasn't adopted the rear ISO ring and on/off switch on top. 

Here ya go - https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=120502&type=&language=all

Menus can be more trouble than they are worth - as is the case with my Fuji X100F, which is why I hardly ever use it. 

My Q2 is a joy of simplicity in terms of menus vs. the X100F.  The menu in my M-P 240 is long and detailed but I have used it to the point where navigation has become second nature. 

The M60 is a thing of beauty - sometimes giving up infinite control for delicious simplicity is a leap forward, not backward.

It looks like B&H has a refurbished M60 in stock https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802064864-USE/leica_10779_m_typ_240_edition.html

Unfortunately it did not rain diamonds at my home last night so I'll have to miss out once again on the M60... 😪

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to note that Erwin Puts who recently said “Farewell to the Leica World”

https://photo.imx.nl/blog/files/75caecf5a21140ab6c9b46f825ef253c-143.html

Wrote the following on the M60:

The M 60 shares one important aspect with the M6J and the original M3. Taking pictures is again an act of trust and reliance on one’s own expertise and judgment. With film-loading cameras in general the result of one’s photography became visible after the stage of the film development. There was that thrill of expectation and anxiety when inspecting the still wet negatives if the special shoot was sharp and correctly exposed and framed. If so, you are content and if not you are doomed. Digital cameras changed all this and killed in fact that basic intrinsic experience of film-based photography. The instant inspection of the result, so familiar with current digital cameras and the automatic control of the basic elements (focus, and exposure) by software (AF and AE) have eliminated the thrill of basic photography. The important signal of the M 60 is Leica’s dedication to reframe the basics of photography and re-align photography to the experience of the M6J and M3. 

It is typical for the classical Leica strategy that special models must have special materials. This strategy started with the Leica Luxus and continues with this model, the M 60. Special leather and special steel notwithstanding, it is a normal M, even the frame selector is missing (resurrected with the M-P!). The fact that the camera only takes RAW pictures and cannot process JPEG images indicates again the reference to classical film technology. The film emulsion by definition only produces raw images. 

There are two different ways to assess the M 60. As a modern digital camera it is a statement to shrink the digital conveniences that we have been learned to love so much to insignificance  and to re-instate the experience of film photography in a digital world. On the other hand the Leica M 60 is a camera that is intimately connected to Leica’s past and one looks in vain for truly innovative features. The M 60 is a masterly example of the art of reduction. The list of features that have been omitted (no frame selector lever, no JPEG, no video, no monitor) is larger than the list of features that have been added compared to the M (new materials for body parts). 

When one reviews the evolution from M3 to M 60, one sees a change from film loading and mechanical features to sensor capture and electronically controlled features. The M3 in its day was a camera that incorporated as many features as possible within the optical-mechanical technology of its day. The main operative functions (manual selection of film emulsions, manual focus, manual exposure setting and manual framing of the scene) have their equivalents in the M 60 (manual ISO selection, manual focus, manual framing of the scene, semi-manual exposure setting through aperture selection).

Instead of a comparison with the M3 one could with equal argument refer to the M-A, a modern incarnation of the original M3, with a comparable shutter mechanism, but without the    rangefinder design of the M3. The M-A is in fact the Leica MP without the internal exposure mechanism. The MP is the original M6 with some elements of the M3. 

It might be sober thinking to conclude that the fundamental design of the M rangefinder camera is immune to change and the basic question why there should be an evolution can be answered by pointing to marketing mechanisms and not to photographic requirements. The trigger for evolutionary change is a change in environmental conditions, not a new marketing concept. 

Picked up a second hand set this past weekend. My interest is the 35mm Summilux in stainless steel and the body was attached.  My enthusiasm for the body was nil, no self timer, no cable release made my type of shooting more shake prone. My indifference changed 180 degrees once I started shooting with this body, firstly it’s an improvement over my m240, it feels smoother but more importantly without a screen to rely on I had to compose more carefully, none of the sloppiness of shoot, check, reshoot. My brain is more engaged, I never realized how much more enjoyable the shooting experience is, how much more I can shoot and how much less fatiguing the camera is.  Admittedly digital with its immediate feedback improved my photography but I don’t need the feedback any longer, the digital aspect of this body continues to allow multiple shots for exposure, composition, fine focus, things I wouldn’t do with film years ago. No menus is a joy, setting ISO with the back dial couldn’t be easier but I might leave it at 200 and adjust any under exposure in Lightroom.  I did a limited comparison of camera ISO vs Lightroom adjustment, Lightroom did fine with colors, slightly better.  Noise needs further evaluation. So, the M60 has  auto ISO without all the fiddling with menu choices of limits that completely drove me crazy to the point of non use. No evf  is a joy, the rangefinder is a greater joy. Leica admittedly has some of the best menus and button configurations, none is better if I had to choose.  I’ve read many accounts of others loving  this experience, but never embraced it for myself or thought I could tolerate its limits. For those times I need menu choices and screens I can reach for other cameras but this may be all I need for a great amount of shooting, including  tripod use without cable  or self timer.  The lens is absolutely gorgeous and buttery smooth, it remains to be seen how  well stainless steel ages  but it appears to be quite impervious to finger prints and color change. 

Edited by darylgo
  • Like 1

Daryl,

I had the M Edition 60 +lens  in my hands ( in the shop that was plenty enough for me ) when Leica launched them.

What bothered me by then was the weight and no strap when used without case.

The concept of screenless digital haunted me for years, when M-D (typ 262) arrived, I was happy to be able to buy one M-D and even happier

having some "features to simplify photog. life" as less weight, strap lugs, "S" "C" "selftimer", shutter button with hole for cable, rear dial.

For me (of course we are all different), M-D 262 is more user friendly than M Edition 60 which is something as "Concept Leica M".

10 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Daryl,

I had the M Edition 60 +lens  in my hands ( in the shop that was plenty enough for me ) when Leica launched them.

The three models available sans screens allows some nice choices. If I knew I would like the concept my preference would be one of the non special editions for the added features but the lack of these same features and minimalist design makes the M60 so endearing. 

My copy broke the first day, I put it through heavy use and the rangefinder roller arm sticks at its most inward position. No rangefinder adjustments for focus. In keeping with the minimalist design I would recommend to Leica the complete removal of the wheel:-) and I am hoping other parts could be done away but have yet to find any. My camera goes back to Leica for repair and I’ll then have the choice to use the rangefinder. 

• 4 years later...

Hi guys, I recently re-acquired the M Edition 60 set after I regretfully sold one 2 years ago. I made the decision for this after going the M10-P --> M11-P route and back, losing $$ in the process to buy and sell. That aside, going screen-less has reignited the kid in me - this camera makes me excited to go home see the images, and like the posters above, makes the photographer "compose more carefully". I am now also more aware of the shutter speed which makes me change ISO - all these processes keeps me engaged.

Admittedly, these processes also made me miss some decisive moments, as I need to change my ISO, which by the time the subject is gone / no longer facing you. Having said that, I am now more prepared and knowledgeable as I anticipate the lighting and preset my ISO so I will not miss the moment. In short, the M60 made me a better photographer in understanding the basics of photography without relying on the crutch that is the auto-iso and LCD screen.

Last but not least, I love the colors from this M60! Not sure why, I prefer it to the M10 and M11 series. Previously I have also compared the M11-P to M10-P and concluded the former is more purplish while the latter is more towards the green. The M240/M262/MD/M60 is more of... I don't know how to put it. The colors are simply pure - green is green, blue is blue and so on. Only thing is the warm images, which sometimes I adopt, or at other times I adjust for more cooler hues.

I foresee keeping this set for long, the Edition 60 doesn't seem to be on the market in mint condition very often, and rarely the price comes down, I was lucky to have it locally without going through evilBay. Paired with the 35 Steelux, this set is a match made in heaven!

Edited by bernstein1234
  • Like 4