Perfect Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know how many people would agree, but if Leica were to design the perfect camera for me it would be a CL Monochrom with a selection of three fast (at least f/2.0) lenses that would be the full frame equivalent of 28mm, 40mm and 90mm. The camera would not have a video function.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I don't know how many people would agree, but if Leica were to design the perfect camera for me it would be a CL Monochrom with a selection of three fast (at least f/2.0) lenses that would be the full frame equivalent of 28mm, 40mm and 90mm. The camera would not have a video function.

I would definitely buy a CL monochrome...

Alain

• Like 1

Little real reason to go with a monochrom sensor for me. The CL has surreptitiously become my 'standard camera', as it were, and is so nearly just exactly what I want ... :D

Continental Divide, Western Side, CO 2018
Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 7

For me  not one but 3 cameras :

a CL 24x36

a M with built-in EVF

a Q with 50mm Summilux

... ill never buy a monochrome camera  because you get the same or even better with color and post processing

Edited by cirke
  • Like 2

Sorry but your last sentence is balderdash  There is no way that an equivalent colour sensor can match the clarity resolution and tonal rendering of a monochrome sensor. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Sorry but your last sentence is balderdash  There is no way that an equivalent colour sensor can match the clarity resolution and tonal rendering of a monochrome sensor. 

I have to agree with jaapv on this. I rented an M Monochrome for one week and was amazed by what that camera camera can do compared to B&W conversions from my SL using the same lens. My only complaint about the sensor is how prone it is to blow highlights. You really have to underexpose somewhat. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, cirke said:

For me  not one but 3 cameras :

a CL 24x36

a M with built-in EVF

a Q with 50mm Summilux

... ill never buy a monochrome camera  because you get the same or even better with color and post processing

Have you ever used a Monochrom camera?  That statement doesn't come close to what my experience has been.

7 hours ago, ramarren said:

Little real reason to go with a monochrom sensor for me. The CL has surreptitiously become my 'standard camera', as it were, and is so nearly just exactly what I want ... :D

That's a beautiful image. Now imagine it with twice the effective megapixels.

16 minutes ago, lct said:

Never used monochrome cameras so far. Is it true that Silver Efex doesn't work with them? Just curious.

Not true: it works perfectly with MM1 RAW files 

Edited by faxao
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fotografr said:

That's a beautiful image. Now imagine it with twice the effective megapixels.

I have done, and it wouldn't be nearly as interesting, atmospheric or 'universal'. Pixels and sharpness are not necessary criteria for the best photographs.
(IMO, of course).

Megapixels have indeed nothing to do with it.  But tonal separation has and it would have been (even) better on a Monochrom. Just like this excellent image would have been even more striking on medium format. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ramarren said:

I too like the B&W output of the CL. But I often have the feeling “I should have brought my Monochrom “  :( 

I have done some test before and showed them here, but I dit another one.

Without IR cut filter. First is JPEG from camera. Second is B&W from LR8. No adjustment.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As a bonus: a picture of my M8:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, dfdann said:

I agree that M8 makes stunning B&W. I have won several Fine Arts Awards with mine. However in my humble opinion the CL makes very good B&W. 

Cheers, Dan

I completely agree but in my opinion it would even be better with a monochrome sensor. If converted files could look as good as those from a mono sensor, why would Leica have ever bothered to produce the original Monochrom? No one will ever convince me that files converted from the M9 achieve the same tonal separation and overall image quality as the MM1.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1