S1 and S1R with R lenses

grahamhoey

10 minutes ago, grahamhoey said:

Saw a comment somewhere that R lenses don’t work on these cameras. True? and if so what doesn’t work. 

I saw the same; I am quite sure that it means that the exif-data isn't supported, implying that Leica's adapters work as dummy adapters.

1 minute ago, helged said:

I saw the same; I am quite sure that it means that the exif-data isn't supported, implying that Leica's adapters work as dummy adapters.

Ah yes, people expect to have all information in Exif, part of pixel peeping fad.

49 minutes ago, grahamhoey said:

Saw a comment somewhere that R lenses don’t work on these cameras. True? and if so what doesn’t work. 

Rubbish ..... as usual .....

ROM lenses work similarly to on the SL..... for example the 100/2.8 APO :

EXIF show the lens as 99mm (this behaviour was present with some lenses on the SL as well), but there is no lens type data. 

The camera prompts you to switch to MF if you are in AF

In Aperture Priority it keeps slowest shutter speed to 1/f (1/125) in this case and moves ISO till you get to your set limit. 

F number is reported as 0.0 ..... as the S1R has no ambient external light sensor to enable it to guesstimate the set aperture.

Non ROM R lenses behave as M lenses attached with the adapter ..... the S1R asks you to enter the Focal Length (you can store 3 in a pick list) .... after which it works as above.

There is another report on the forum that the camera tends to underexpose by 2/3 stop ...... which may be right ..... but you can easily dial in enough Exp Comp. so that the EVF image brightness equates to what you see by eye and all will be well. 

The focus peaking implementation is easier to use and seems more accurate than on the SL.

I think it's expecting far too much to for the L alliance to extend beyond basic 'compatibility' .

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I tested the R 35-70mm and the 28-90mm on the S1R recently. For the 35-70mm using the Leica adapter, the S1R showed something like 2/3 stops underexposure. A couple of days later, I tested it with the R 28-90 using the same adapter and this time, the exposure was spot one. Both lenses have ROM. So I believe in the first instance, it could be user error on my part. Maybe there was something that was set by someone on the camera that caused the underexposure. Whatever the reason, the camera performed flawlessly the 2nd time. So anyone thinking of using the S1/R with their R lenses should not worry about useability.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

S1 works really well for me with R lenses, no problems with corner sharpness (within the expectation of the lenses).

Personally used 15/3.5, 19mm/2.8 V1, 35/2 E55, 50/2 E55, 80/1.4, 100/2.8, and no problems with any of them.

I have no ROM lenses so i use a plain Novoflex adapter.

The R lenses by and large should not present any problem on the S series cameras as they are designed for an SLR camera. The problem with the M lenses on the Lumix cameras is that some of them project light at a steep angle, ("high angle of incidence"). This is an issue, as rather than taking a straight path through 1.45mm of cover glass, the light at the edges of the frame passes through at an angle, which means the glass is proportionally thicker. The more glass the light travels through, the more diffraction, and the softer the image. Leica gets around this by building sensors with microlenses that redirect the light directly through the glass. This, in effect, means that M lenses with a high angle of incidence perform better on Leica cameras. Best on the M, which has the thinnest glass and the most correction, and slightly worse on the SL (though significantly better than the S1 or S1R). Since R lenses were designed to be much further from the film or sensor (47mm versus 27.8mm), the light coming from the R lenses will be at a much lower angle of incidence (i.e. hitting the sensor more directly), and therefore they should suffer minimal drop in performance. If the lens itself is not very sharp, that is another story, but most of the R lenses are very good, especially the most recent ones. Some of the older zooms do not have quite such a good reputation and I imagine they might not be up to the S1R, for example. 

• Like 1