CL. For Family Photography with Kids?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, DGP said:

Auto WB works well for me (shooting DNg’a) except in certain warm indoor lights. When that happens, i use LR and set color to auto (from “as shot”) - and tweak it from there. Unscientific but it’s fast and gets it close enough to my memory and liking. I need to learn LR better I admit - but strive for a fast and simple workflow because I get so many keepers of my adorable grandkids.  Best always- Cheers!

I'm with you.  I don't want to spend all day in lightroom.  I have a few presets... one set from Like-A-Looks.. and boy are they great!  I use them on all sorts of cameras, including the garden shot above.  I also have some of Overgaards presets I bought during his birthday sale.  They are also good starting points in some cases.  I'll post one or two of these indoor shots in a moment.

These aren't works of art, but here ya go

Zoom Lens

• Like 2

And here's a few more from this morning.  It was really dim, overcast and grey..

These got quite a bit of treatment in lightroom...

• Like 2

Very cute little boy. Did you check out how the background contrast lessens when it’s defocused?  Special lenses, whether they are computer corrected or not. 

girl, no offense taken.  Yes, I like the way backgrounds are rendered.

. here's another great background in the distance.

Ok I've priced this in two ways.

1) Leica Official Store, used body, used grip, new 23mm, new zoom 18 to 56

2) Adorama, new everything using the kit with the zoom as my base, add new 23mm, add new grip, add additional battery.

The price difference is only -384 dollars when you add things up this way.  😕. I mean $400 dollars is $400 dollars.  I could get an additional spare battery and have 3 plus the finger loops or a wrist strap with that extra money.  I just wish there was a little more spread there.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oops. So sorry about missing her gender.  Yes, clearly.  She’s a cutey.. 

I am laid up in bed recovering from surgery and was without my glasses for many of my posts. Relying on pinching the screen to enlarge the text. LOL.

They also have a Street Kit that includes the body, 23mm, and grip, and maybe another battery (?)

9 minutes ago, DGP said:

Oops. So sorry about missing her gender.  Yes, clearly.  She’s a cutey.. 

I am laid up in bed recovering from surgery and was without my glasses for many of my posts. Relying on pinching the screen to enlarge the text. LOL.

They also have a Street Kit that includes the body, 23mm, and grip, and maybe another battery (?)

Yeah, that kit seems to be out of stock every where, at least where I’ve looked so far. 

Well, today was the day I had to part with the CL sending it back to the rental company.

During the week I captured 2230 images.  I ended with a good number of solid memories and moments.  

The CL was a pleasure.  If anything, it might be a tad too small if you can believe that.  I found my best images came in full manual mode with autofocus on.

If I don't at least try an M, I'll always be wondering...  what if...  So I feel like my next move is to at the very least, test an M and see if it's my thing.  On paper, it seems like it would be.  Only trying it will tell me for sure.  If the M isn't my answer, the CL is.  I'm considering renting an M.  It's not a cheap rental, especially when you consider the two rentals before it to even get here.  And then of course, the Q2.. so many cameras.. can't I just have them all??

The negatives (for me)

Autofocus is.. ok.  The little hunt on each press/half press became a little annoying.    I compared this to my Canon 80d to fully understand and here's the difference. When using something like point focusing on the 80d, there is a rapid and fast movement directly to the focus point at the first half press.  And each subsequent press is immediate unless you move to a different object to focus, then again a rapid and fast jump directly to focus and bang.  The CL I found would essentially refocus every time, and slower.  Not the end of the world, but I noticed it.

Manual focusing I found a bit clumsy. I find focus peaking tough to see, I don't know why.  Without enough contrast, peaking didn't happen at all.  Focus ring was just ok.

I wish the lens didn't feel like Panasonic lenses... that's just a thing though.. like you like white cars, but I like red cars..  the lens itself was wonderful.

32 minutes ago, justbananas said:

The negatives (for me)...

Looks like a fair analysis. Not using AF, so can't comment on its performance. Regarding manual focus, I switched off focus peaking, I find it distracting. However, I almost always use magnification (right wheel) when focusing manually. It works very well. I obtain a larger fraction of sharp pictures than I get with my M cameras. I share your view regarding the feel of the lenses. My solution for all your problems: use M lenses only and focus using magnification. And, of course, you can share the same lenses with any M camera.

Just bananas - thats why I started sometimes using MF even with the TL lenses. It keeps the focus in place - but still takes time to accurately refocus when the kiddies move because it’s “fly by wire”.  The CL2 will probably improve the AF speed with the existing lenses (I hope LOL)

21 minutes ago, Joachim_I said:

Looks like a fair analysis. Not using AF, so can't comment on its performance. Regarding manual focus, I switched off focus peaking, I find it distracting. However, I almost always use magnification (right wheel) when focusing manually. It works very well. I obtain a larger fraction of sharp pictures than I get with my M cameras. I share your view regarding the feel of the lenses. My solution for all your problems: use M lenses only and focus using magnification. And, of course, you can share the same lenses with any M camera.

😏  Good idea.

12 minutes ago, DGP said:

Just bananas - thats why I started sometimes using MF even with the TL lenses. It keeps the focus in place - but still takes time to accurately refocus when the kiddies move because it’s “fly by wire”.  The CL2 will probably improve the AF speed with the existing lenses (I hope LOL)

I understand completely.  I guess I'm left with the sensation that is: if auto focus is not all that reliable (and that goes for any camera I've tried....  how many times has your camera auto focused on the couch arm instead of the face requiring several hand shutter presses to finally , maybe get there) then why not just go on to manual focus, learn it, use it.  The story I tell myself in my head is "it will become natural and fluid with time and some elbow grease."   

That could be far from reality ...