Leica Q AND Q2 B&W Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked and I cannot find a B&W thread for the Q or the Q2. If it exists, I apologize. Please merge this comment or just delete the post. 

I found this quote in an article " Fine arts photographer David Yarrow: “I’d worked out my business model. And that’s something that 99.99 percent of photographers don’t do."

It's in Lifestyle e-magazine.

I thought the quote especially fitting for B&W photography.

"Someone once said, if you photograph people in color, you see their clothes. But if you photograph them in black-and-white, you see their souls. Black-and-white is reductive. They make the colours disappear so you can focus on the subject. Also, black-and-white is timeless. I’m trying to play with the fact that some of these animals have been around for a million years. Black-and-white lends credence to that."

It would be great if we could post B&W images in one thread from our great cameras. Identify whether it's from a Q or Q2. Great to enjoy and maybe learn the subtle differences in the two cameras.  

Edited by iQ2
  • Like 4

Okay, I'll start it off.  A cemetery dating back to the US's civil war.  The "original" Q.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by beauport
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Battlefield at Gettysburg, PA

• Like 9

Some pictures from Norway - with the good old original Q.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• Like 19

3 hours ago, iQ2 said:

I looked and I cannot find a B&W thread for the Q or the Q2. If it exists, I apologize. Please merge this comment or just delete the post. 

I found this quote in an article " Fine arts photographer David Yarrow: “I’d worked out my business model. And that’s something that 99.99 percent of photographers don’t do."

It's in Lifestyle e-magazine.

I thought the quote especially fitting for B&W photography.

"Someone once said, if you photograph people in color, you see their clothes. But if you photograph them in black-and-white, you see their souls. Black-and-white is reductive. They make the colours disappear so you can focus on the subject. Also, black-and-white is timeless. I’m trying to play with the fact that some of these animals have been around for a million years. Black-and-white lends credence to that."

I think would be great if we could post B&W images in one thread from our great cameras. Identify whether it's from a Q or Q2. Great to enjoy and maybe learn the subtle differences in the two cameras.  

Great quote and a fantastic idea—thanks for kicking this off!

Q, ISO 800, pushed

Edited by HansiMustermann
  • Like 10

Q-P

• Like 9

2 hours ago, NW67 said:

Rob. Have you got the Q2??

neil

Hey Neil. How goes it?

Still considering whether to get the Q2. I recently sold my Q (and TL2) while I readjust thoughts on what to keep/sell.  

I'm still smitten by the S007 and the S lenses, and medium format and Leica has my head in a conundrum about the S3 and coming SL2. Waiting for the fog to clear!  

How about yourself?  What is your latest 'pleasure'?  Finally retired?  

Regards, Rob

The River Thames between Richmond and Kew

• Like 11

2 hours ago, ropo54 said:

Hey Neil. How goes it?

Still considering whether to get the Q2. I recently sold my Q (and TL2) while I readjust thoughts on what to keep/sell.  

I'm still smitten by the S007 and the S lenses, and medium format and Leica has my head in a conundrum about the S3 and coming SL2. Waiting for the fog to clear!  

Regards, Rob

Hi Rob

i picked up a new Q2 today and have the battery on charge as we speak. 

I wanted something Leica to go with my Hasselblad H6D and I think the Q2 is going to be the perfect combination. I have the M10 but thinking of getting rid of all my M gear along with my S gear and and just have a nice small compact camera as in the Q2 and have the beast for all the rest of my photography. 

This will be my last camera purchase....... 

Hope you and the family are doing well

safe travels 

neil

Just now, NW67 said:

Hi Rob

i picked up a new Q2 today and have the battery on charge as we speak. 

I wanted something Leica to go with my Hasselblad H6D and I think the Q2 is going to be the perfect combination. I have the M10 but thinking of getting rid of all my M gear along with my S gear and and just have a nice small compact camera as in the Q2 and have the beast for all the rest of my photography. 

This will be my last camera purchase....... 

Hope you and the family are doing well

safe travels 

neil

(You know how many times I've told myself that! ) 

I'll keep an eye out for your posts on the Q2

As I had posted on the S3 thread, I'm hoping for the next S camera to be the size of the X1D,  the price of the Fuji GFX, and with the interface and performance of the Leica S system.  

Take care, Rob

vor 3 Stunden schrieb ropo54:

Hey Neil. How goes it?

Regards, Rob

Rob, the way I see it, you’ll be better off with the S3 for the types of pictures you take. But the SL2 with the SL Summicrons will be complimentary. Any time you’ll prefer not to schlep the bulk and weight and you’ll long for faster AF, you’ll grab the SL2 with the 35 or 75 Summicron-SL. Rendering will be close to your S3. You’ll get the Leica Look. Then it’s either an M or the Q2 to complete the set for you, Q2 I guess. Of course, you could go with Fuji MF and Fuji APS-C. But you’ll miss the Leica lenses. 

For me the S3 is out of the question. But I’m really intrigued to see how good the sensor is. So, I’ll try to borrow it in about a year’s time if I can. SL2, I put my name down for it and hopefully will get it by the end of the year. Then I have an M10-P and the CL. Three cameras are not too many. This gives us flexibility and variety. It’s fun. More than three and it starts to become a luxury. If you go Fuji, then the three for you would be Fuji MF, Fuji APS-C, and X2D, if this ever comes. But so much less satisfying than S3, SL2, Q2 IMO.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Thanks 1

The photos are fantastic. Since it’s quite difficult to tell the difference, it would be very helpful if the posts include whether its taken with a Q or Q2. Thanks. 

I confess that I’ve longed for a Leica Monochrom camera. I’m now wondering if a Q2 isn't going to fill that want very well and keep me from chasing a bunch of expensive lenses. 

How are others viewing your Q’s as a B&W camera? 

The General Store.  Q Classic

• Like 5