Leica Q AND Q2 B&W Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Learner said:

Are these beautiful B&W pictures shot in B&W or converted from color?

Are the B&W shots from the Q2 on a par with those from the Q?

Learner

I also only shoot RAW so by definition the are at full resolution and in color. I convert to B&W in LR. Adjust the color sliders for the tone I want. Much easier than a darkroom. 😁

You’ll have to be the judge as to if Q2 B&W images are better, equal or inferior to Q images. That’s my reasoning in the beginning of asking folks to identify which camera they are from. Of course the real test would be comparing full res images on a good display or print. 

• Like 2

Wallis, captured on Leica "classic"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Q B&W image of drying B&W film

• Like 3

Q in macro, SOOC Jpeg

• Like 12

Q 116 - f1,7 - ISO 1600 - 1/60 - LR - SilverEfexPro - Germany - Wuerzburg - Cathedral

Edited by M@nfred
  • Like 6

Making the good stuff, Leica Q, 1/30, f/4, ISO 400, handheld, In Chicago at Eataly.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Garden of the Gods and Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado Springs, Leica Q, 1/320, f/5, ISO 100, on tripod. 

• Like 9

Q1

• Like 10

Corey in monochrome
Dandy Daffodil Tweed Ride, La Connor, Washington
Leica Q2

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iQ2 said:

Making the good stuff, Leica Q, 1/30, f/4, ISO 400, handheld, In Chicago at Eataly.

Fine capture - the luxury of a really fine espresso made on such a majestic machine.  

Leica Q2 converted to Monochroom in Lightroom CC

http://

L1020081.jpg by Ross Funnell, on Flickr 

• Like 5

On 3/29/2019 at 9:12 AM, Chaemono said:

Rob, the way I see it, you’ll be better off with the S3 for the types of pictures you take. But the SL2 with the SL Summicrons will be complimentary. Any time you’ll prefer not to schlep the bulk and weight and you’ll long for faster AF, you’ll grab the SL2 with the 35 or 75 Summicron-SL. Rendering will be close to your S3. You’ll get the Leica Look. Then it’s either an M or the Q2 to complete the set for you, Q2 I guess. Of course, you could go with Fuji MF and Fuji APS-C. But you’ll miss the Leica lenses. 

For me the S3 is out of the question. But I’m really intrigued to see how good the sensor is. So, I’ll try to borrow it in about a year’s time if I can. SL2, I put my name down for it and hopefully will get it by the end of the year. Then I have an M10-P and the CL. Three cameras are not too many. This gives us flexibility and variety. It’s fun. More than three and it starts to become a luxury. If you go Fuji, then the three for you would be Fuji MF, Fuji APS-C, and X2D, if this ever comes. But so much less satisfying than S3, SL2, Q2 IMO.

Sounds like a plan! Rob

20 hours ago, soizic said:

I shoot DNG (so color) and I work with CaptureOne and SilverEfex

I'm surprised there aren't more SilverEfex shout outs on this thread. It seems the easiest and best way to convert to B&W.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 9:12 AM, Chaemono said:

SL2, I put my name down for it and hopefully will get it by the end of the year. 

Is there a way to reserve a camera that hasn't been announced yet. There are rumors of an announcement in June (based on a Facebook comment that was then taken down) and some other rumor about the fall. Some combine those rumors into: a June announcement/fall delivery. But I haven't hear a single word that is reliable. Do you have other information?

23 hours ago, Learner said:

Are these beautiful B&W pictures shot in B&W or converted from color?

Are the B&W shots from the Q2 on a par with those from the Q?

Learner

As mentioned, processing from RAW gives you the best flexibility. It's astounding what you can do in Lightroom using the color sliders to change the tones in the black and white image. You can make orange and yellow tones in the color image nearly white, and in doing so, it's as if this "bloom" of contrasting/pop runs across the image. You can make your blue skies nearly black as if you were using a red filter with film or a monochrome camera. In the image I posted, you can see the effects of these kind of adjustments – there is white in the plants/grasses and rock cliffs that simply wouldn't render that way in a traditional monochrome conversion.

• Like 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb bags27:

Is there a way to reserve a camera that hasn't been announced yet. There are rumors of an announcement in June (based on a Facebook comment that was then taken down) and some other rumor about the fall. Some combine those rumors into: a June announcement/fall delivery. But I haven't hear a single word that is reliable. Do you have other information?

😁 No, there isn’t unless the dealer says  that you will be the first one to get it. So, I put my name down. 😀 No date, no sensor specs. All I’m hoping for is before year end, that’s what the dealer is hoping for too, and better DR than the S1R/Q2 sensor, dealer wouldn’t get drawn into this discussion. On the rest, I have an idea what it will include. 😀

• Like 1