Leica Guy

Leica Q AND Q2 B&W Images

48 minutes ago, FHPdoc said:

GREAT thread--would love to see it pinned!

I confess that this thread either makes no sense at all to me or makes so much sense it should force the mods to rethink everything about the Q/Q2 divide.

Why are we okay with a combined B&W thread but not a combined thread for color? (there is also a Q macro and I believe even a Q infrared thread, and they will resurface as the weather gets warmer; will there be separate similar threads for the Q2 or will they be like the B&W and combined?).

I appreciate that with the enormous enthusiasm for the Q2 folks want to "focus" on those pictures for now. But long term, it threatens to divide the community.  If the Q2's sensor is better than the Qs, we will all want to see that by comparing photos. If not, there is no reason at all to keep them separate.

For the M digitals, there is a bucket of all the "M types" that is separate from the M10, so that folks can view the newish M10 in isolation, but why are all the other M types put together, when there is a wide diversity of digital potential and representation there? And here's something really absurd. The CL is separate but the T, TL, TL2 are combined. Yet the TL2 and CL effectively share the same chip and processor, just different design! The photos should resemble each other far more than the photos of the TL2 with the T! 

We should get some serious thinking about what makes for the best appreciation and criticism of photography, rather than for commercial benefit. Maybe put a limit of (say) 1 year on a separate thread for focused appreciation of a new camera, and then merge them into threads that make sense.

grumble, grumble. I don't know why I'm grumbling: it's Friday!

8 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I confess that this thread either makes no sense at all to me or makes so much sense it should force the mods to rethink everything about the Q/Q2 divide.

Why are we okay with a combined B&W thread but not a combined thread for color? (there is also a Q macro and I believe even a Q infrared thread, and they will resurface as the weather gets warmer; will there be separate similar threads for the Q2 or will they be like the B&W and combined?).

I appreciate that with the enormous enthusiasm for the Q2 folks want to "focus" on those pictures for now. But long term, it threatens to divide the community.  If the Q2's sensor is better than the Qs, we will all want to see that by comparing photos. If not, there is no reason at all to keep them separate.

For the M digitals, there is a bucket of all the "M types" that is separate from the M10, so that folks can view the newish M10 in isolation, but why are all the other M types put together, when there is a wide diversity of digital potential and representation there? And here's something really absurd. The CL is separate but the T, TL, TL2 are combined. Yet the TL2 and CL effectively share the same chip and processor, just different design! The photos should resemble each other far more than the photos of the TL2 with the T! 

We should get some serious thinking about what makes for the best appreciation and criticism of photography, rather than for commercial benefit. Maybe put a limit of (say) 1 year on a separate thread for focused appreciation of a new camera, and then merge them into threads that make sense.

There you go thinking analytically and rationally and making a whole lot of sense!

BTW Monday is grumpy day, not Friday--at least for me.  Some days I'm a "lumper," others a "splitter."  Today must be a splitter day, though in my old age I am trying to be more of a lumper...

52 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Ken,

You may be right, but my thinking was B&W is such a distinctive kind of photography with a far longer history than color and with a great following, I thought it deserving of a separate thread. I definitely want the Q and Q2 and Q3.. to be in a combined thread, but not to judge one better so much as to appreciate any subtle differences if there are any thus why I suggested people identify which camera took the photo. At least for awhile. After 6 months, no one will care since both cameras will be well understood. 

I like looking at different kinds of images of the same type in a common thread. My preference and by no means the right way. I find it easier to enjoy B&W, macro, IR or general images that way. I would not segregate the Q2 from the Q. Quite the opposite, I like seeing them together. 

I’m in a friendly Friday mood. 😁

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

I’m in a friendly Friday mood. 😁

well, sure, easy for you to say. Next week I'll be at work and you will be sailing down the Danube! 😀😀😀

47 minutes ago, bags27 said:

well, sure, easy for you to say. Next week I'll be at work and you will be sailing down the Danube! 😀😀😀

Up the Danube. 🤣

10 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

Up the Danube. 🤣

that's what I always say! 😀

12 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

Our beautiful niece. Leica Q, 1/100, f/4, ISO 100, with SF-40 flash on 1/16 power.

That's beautiful, Dan (and so is she!). I just missed out on an ebay bid for the SF-26. I have to think about what I do next: Leica flashes are so expensive, but worth it.

Are these beautiful B&W pictures shot in B&W or converted from color?

Are the B&W shots from the Q2 on a par with those from the Q?

Learner

9 hours ago, Learner said:

Are these beautiful B&W pictures shot in B&W or converted from color?

Are the B&W shots from the Q2 on a par with those from the Q?

Learner

I only shoot RAW so my Q image above taken in Venice was converted in C1. Only a jpeg taken in monochrome will come out of camera B&W. I have not yet converted any color Q2 images to B&W, but I have one in mind and will post it later.