rosuna

A replacement for Lightroom?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Paul. I did what you suggested and did the basic tutorial whereby you upload photos LR CC give you as tools (nursery play bricks.). On the one hand I think that with my education I should be able to do this alone, on the other hand I'm thinking I am going to save time and heartache by going back to (LR) nursery school. The basic tutorial was insightful, and allowed me to fix two 'problems' or dead ends I had run into. My next goal is to earn enough $$$$ from selling pics to cover the LR sub. Thanks again to you and other forum members for your insightful and helpful comments. 

Edited by ChateauMonty

I have just discovered that my newly acquired Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Ver 2.3 (the one I have) does not, apparently, allow me to create TIFF files (which I need when sending pics to my agent). Or to watermark files, or set profiles for eg my www, FB, Insta or agent. You can see my due diligence is A1.

I hate the fact I cannot see file names in the main grid and only on the side menu. Imagine if the same principle applied on the restaurant menu? Side salad and fizzy water on the main menu. Steak tartare, cassoulet and foie gras tucked away in a side menu hidden behind the bar. 

I hate the fact it uploads everything to the cloud before you can even think about deleting the unusable images. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Going back to the old caveman version I have on my old caveman iMac powered by kindly elves.

Do not think I can face having to learn Capture One from scratch. Unless....

14 minutes ago, ChateauMonty said:

I have just discovered that my newly acquired Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Ver 2.3 (the one I have) does not, apparently, allow me to create TIFF files (which I need when sending pics to my agent). Or to watermark files, or set profiles for eg my www, FB, Insta or agent. You can see my due diligence is A1.

I hate the fact I cannot see file names in the main grid and only on the side menu. Imagine if the same principle applied on the restaurant menu? Side salad and fizzy water on the main menu. Steak tartare, cassoulet and foie gras tucked away in a side menu hidden behind the bar. 

I hate the fact it uploads everything to the cloud before you can even think about deleting the unusable images. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Going back to the old caveman version I have on my old caveman iMac powered by kindly elves.

Do not think I can face having to learn Capture One from scratch. Unless....

Switch to Lightroom Classic.  Same great features and control interface as prior perpetual LR license version.

Jeff

Great detective work, Jeff. It seems not all of what was supposed to be downloaded did so. With help from Adobe today we started again from scratch and I have what I thought I was getting. Their service was very good (and yes, I did let them know). Thanks again.

Glad it worked out.  And, for the same 10 bucks a month, Photoshop is included.  I don’t use the cloud storage option, though.   If that’s ever mandated, I’ll leave Adobe.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Photoshop is not a bad 'bonus'- I am not the world expert on masking, but no doubt I am capable of learning how to make use of it.

100% with you re cloud storage. I do not need it. I also get driven mad by swirly icons telling me how far or fast an upload to the cloud I did not ask for is going ! 

I do not want a 3rd party being in some form a gatekeeper to my copyrighted work to the under-policed wide open spaces of Cloud Land (I earnt more money in a recent calendar year from royalties paid by people who had accidentally 'borrowed' photos online than via contracted magazine sales).

I no longer post any images on FB (in fact I post nothing on FB anymore). And apart from the odd cat photo (it's a long story...) have all but given up with Instagram. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, ChateauMonty said:

(I earnt more money in a recent calendar year from royalties paid by people who had accidentally 'borrowed' photos online than via contracted magazine sales).

I'm not sure if that's good or bad.  :)

Jeff