nick11218

Summicron 50 IV - Ring of Haze?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have the worst luck buying Leica gear.

Just purchased my 2nd 50 Cron IV on eBay. The seller mentioned haze, and I asked a lot of questions about it, but he really described it as no big deal.

Got it today and found a pretty harsh ring of haze (or?) when light is pushed through. Looks decent otherwise, but I paid a competitive price ($950 USD).

I really don’t want to go through another eBay return—the seller only mentioned in a DM, where I was asking specific questions about the lens, that he would offer to return for me if I wasn’t happy.

I’m a shooter, don’t mind imperfections, but I do like to have nice gear. 

Was thinking of sending out for a CLA and forget about it. Obviously another $100 that I don’t want to spend, but ugh.

what do you guys think?

edit:

also the small set screws on the aperture ring show a small amount of rust. I was wondering if that might be a sign of what contributed to the optical issue, poor storage perhaps?

Edited by nick11218

50 minutes ago, lct said:

I would not keep such a lens. 

+1.

It's a good price, but once you factor in the cost of a CLA and, more importantly, the risk that the lens could not clean up - or that there is more serious damage, well... the total cost may not be so attractive anymore.

I join the opinions above… and the detail about rust on screws confirms that this is a lens that has been kept for many times in open air, on camera probably with no bag… which in a certain senes can be normal for a user… but makes the gear feel its age, expecially if has worked in certain enivironments.. ;  how is the focus movement ? the f/stops "click" ? and RF coupling is ok ? I don't know if 100 US$ are sufficient for a well made CLA...

I would not want that lens and you have no idea of it's history or why it is showing signs of water damage.  Send it back for a full refund.

Looks to be suffering from separation as well as quite heavy haze. Personally I'd return it and next time buy a lens that you can check first or at least from a dealer who will (hopefully) be more honest about the description as well as having a legal right to return it if not happy. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I second the above comments. It seems that this lens has spent quite some time in a damp environment, hence the rust and the haze. A CLA from Leica will easily cost roughly 400 US$, and they may find out that the haze has already affected the coatings and may therefore not be fully removed. Send it back to the seller for a refund, as you will not be happy with this lens.

Andy

Thanks for the replies all. I really appreciate how quickly you all chimed in. 

Thankfully, the seller is respectful, and allowed me to return this lens. I'll send it back today. 

Anyone got a 50 Cron v4 for sale?! That doesn't have problems.... 

Good idea sending it back. That is not a "slight" issue but a potentially expensive one to deal with.

After getting it it worked on & refurbished, you'll end up paying what a clean version on Ebay should be - abt $1350USD - but should be like new

I recc DAG camera in Wisconsin - Don does great work

PS:  That's my favorite lens

Rust and this amount of haze on the lens of this age?

Get rid of it ASAP. Seller is liar or clueless speculant. 

On 3/28/2019 at 3:00 PM, nick11218 said:

Anyone got a 50 Cron v4 for sale?! That doesn't have problems....

There are a dozen of them on e**y right now Leica 11819.