Q2 image stabilization auto or manual on?

10 minutes ago, sturkel said:

So wondering how the auto mode decides to come into play or just better to leave on all the time unless using a tripod.  Why not leave on all the time? Any thoughts would be appreciated 

cheers

With Leica Q, Leica said that there is a slight degradation of image quality if OIS is on. I am using Auto setting.

• Like 3

So I am curious not much of a reply to this question.  I reviewed the manual and there is very little info on this topic.  When does the Auto setting kick in and what shutter speed?  No mention of image degradation when left on. All of my other cameras have much more info on the subject and the only warning has been when using a tripod.  

Any feedback would be helpful.

Cheers

On 3/29/2019 at 3:20 PM, sturkel said:

So I am curious not much of a reply to this question.  I reviewed the manual and there is very little info on this topic.  When does the Auto setting kick in and what shutter speed?  No mention of image degradation when left on. All of my other cameras have much more info on the subject and the only warning has been when using a tripod.  

Any feedback would be helpful.

Cheers

AFAIK, no other camera has Auto setting for image stabilization.

An older discussion thread mentions: 

Good point as I don’t remember seeing auto IS on my Sony or Olympus cameras. The Nikon was on off on the lens . I think default is auto btw on the Leica.  

Just wondering how it opeates in auto mode.

cheers

40 minutes ago, sturkel said:

Good point as I don’t remember seeing auto IS on my Sony or Olympus cameras. The Nikon was on off on the lens . I think default is auto btw on the Leica.  

Just wondering how it opeates in auto mode.

cheers

Definitely Auto IS on Olympus OM-D E-M5.2, PEN E-P5, ...

1 hour ago, Matero said:

Definitely Auto IS on Olympus OM-D E-M5.2, PEN E-P5, ...

They are not the same. On Leica Q/Q2, Auto stabilization mode means that the camera decides when to switch stabilization on/off. On Olympus, Auto stabilization mode detects the panning direction and applies appropriate stabilization.

27 minutes ago, SrMi said:

They are not the same. On Leica Q/Q2, Auto stabilization mode means that the camera decides when to switch stabilization on/off. On Olympus, Auto stabilization mode detects the panning direction and applies appropriate stabilization.

Actually, not exactly true. In Olympus S-IS 1 setup means auto stabilisation and it kicks in when needed. S-IS Auto means the panning detection and restricts the stabilisation depending how you pan the camera. 

You can easily detect when S-IS kicks in by the humming sound the sensor makes.

I thought I'd read somewhere that Auto kicked in around 1/30s, maybe someone can try setting the shutter speed manually to determine when it comes on?

I intend to leave it on Auto since I very rarely shoot on a tripod and that tends to be the only time where I've noticed IS worsening image quality since it seems to get confused by the total lack of vibration.

2 hours ago, Matero said:

Actually, not exactly true. In Olympus S-IS 1 setup means auto stabilisation and it kicks in when needed. S-IS Auto means the panning detection and restricts the stabilisation depending how you pan the camera. 

You can easily detect when S-IS kicks in by the humming sound the sensor makes.

The manual for OMD-E M5mII says: 

S-IS1 - All Direction Shake I.S. - Image stabilizer is on.

There is no mentioning that S-IS1 mode switches the IS on and off depending on the shutter speed. At least, the intention of that modes is not to be used as the Auto mode on Q/Q2, I think.

Is there any source that confirms your observation?

5 hours ago, ricky1981 said:

I thought I'd read somewhere that Auto kicked in around 1/30s

Yup.  See this thread where user jmschuh answered the question with some trial and error.  He set Auto Image Stabilization on and took pictures at different speeds then looked at the icons in Playback-mode.   IS was on at 1/30 sec and slower.  I'm assuming the Q2 will be the same as the Q.  Given some of the things that are reportedly different that assumption may be suspect.

Edited by marchyman
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SrMi said:

The manual for OMD-E M5mII says: 

S-IS1 - All Direction Shake I.S. - Image stabilizer is on.

There is no mentioning that S-IS1 mode switches the IS on and off depending on the shutter speed. At least, the intention of that modes is not to be used as the Auto mode on Q/Q2, I think.

Is there any source that confirms your observation?

Years back there were discussions about this and I tried to find it, but couldn’t use right search words to pick it up. Only commercial stories, not the technical whitepaper I was looking.

It’s also possible that newer firmwares have changed the way it operates. At least pressing shutter halfway makes it kick in whenever S-IS is on. I remember this was related to avoiding battery drainage. 

But, it used to be related to focal length and shutter speed how aggressively S-IS kicked in. But as said, this could have been changed in newer firmware versions. 

I did some research and this is what I have found

The lens is the same 11-element, 9-group 28mm f/1.7 design as before, which includes three aspherical elements to minimize distortion and peripheral aberrations. But Leica says that it has tweaked the way the lens is built to meet the tighter demands imposed by the higher resolution sensor. Unusually for a full-frame fast prime, it’s optically stabilized, which gives the camera extraordinary low-light capabilities. Leica has included a new Auto OIS option that only operates at shutter speeds of 1/60sec or slower, and otherwise keeps the IS group centered for maximum sharpness. I’d leave it switched on all the time.
Read more at https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compacts/leica-q2-review#pTKj4GLuuFSwyXL6.99

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturkel said:

The lens is the same 11-element, 9-group 28mm f/1.7 design as before, which includes three aspherical elements to minimize distortion and peripheral aberrations. But Leica says that it has tweaked the way the lens is built to meet the tighter demands imposed by the higher resolution sensor. Unusually for a full-frame fast prime, it’s optically stabilized, which gives the camera extraordinary low-light capabilities. Leica has included a new Auto OIS option that only operates at shutter speeds of 1/60sec or slower, and otherwise keeps the IS group centered for maximum sharpness. I’d leave it switched on all the time.
Read more at https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compacts/leica-q2-review#pTKj4GLuuFSwyXL6.99

Thank you for that information. DPR also confirms that OIS kicks in at 1/60sec or slower in Auto mode.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, sturkel said:

I have found the the IS introduces a 'milky' softness into images (and a little color smearing) taken on the Q2. Quite noticeable at 100%. With IS turned off, the camera becomes a whole different proposition and produces exactly what I paid for. I have been using an M10 since they were released and I was less than impressed with the Q2 images until I discovered this. IS is clearly useful in very low light situations and hand-held video, however I will be using it very  judiciously in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 2:53 AM, petermlamont said:

I have found the the IS introduces a 'milky' softness into images (and a little color smearing) taken on the Q2. Quite noticeable at 100%. With IS turned off, the camera becomes a whole different proposition and produces exactly what I paid for. I have been using an M10 since they were released and I was less than impressed with the Q2 images until I discovered this. IS is clearly useful in very low light situations and hand-held video, however I will be using it very  judiciously in the future.

Welcome to the forum. I have not noticed any image degradation with OIS active, but I am using it only in Auto mode (engages only at 1/60sec or below). At what shutter speed did you notice the softness issue?

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

As I just had to find out recently what Auto Ois does I found this old thread. Here it is left that OIS Ato starts at 1/60s which is wrong. It starts only at 1/30s and slower. You can easyly find out by setting to Auto OIS and shooting at 1/30s and the 1/60s. Now you review your 2 pictures on your little screen and show the EXIF details: On top right you see the settings of the OIS.  

It is actually easy to know if OIS is running.  If you toggle full display mode, the OIS icon appears if OIS is operating.  And when you are in playback, the icon on top right also shows OIS status.  Auto OIS kicks in at 1/50 (1/60 would not activate OIS).

I would definitely keep OIS on auto.  I have been consistent taking sharp photos with 1/15 shutter when OIS is on, and even 1/8 can get very sharp pictures but with perhaps 30% keeper rate.  I don't think 1/4 with OIS is really usable, especially given the 47MP sensor.

Leica is probably right that OIS might slightly reduce IQ, but I could not find much IQ variation with controlled experiment (on tripod) with OIS off and on.  But that's probably a moot point with auto OIS.  It is off when shutter faster than 1/50.  You would need it anyways between 1/8 to 1/50 handheld.  So the OIS reducing IQ is only a real issue if you are using tripod and shooting long exposure.  And if you go through the trouble using a tripod, you probably don't mind manual turn off OIS.

My solution has been creating a tripod profile with OIS turned off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1