Leica Q2 and Lightroom performance

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there! 

I'm a proud owner of a M10 but I'm contemplating adding a Leica Q2 to my "arsenal". I shoot DNG only and process all my image with Lightroom. I'm wondering what would be the performance impact with the 47MP images. I've tried to import some samples and I couldn't feel a difference (I have a 2015 iMac with 32gb) but would love  comments from users who went through the transition (24->47mp) and have integrated those large image in their workflow.

Thank you!

Fred 

Note that, as I've commented in another thread, you can use Abobe's (free) DNG converter losslessly to reduce the size of the DNG files by approximately one-third. I've discovered that does speed display and manipulation of the image files on my late 2016 MacBook Pro (with 16GB of RAM) and using Capture One 12. Admittedly it's another step on import but can be very quick if you use a fast card reader.

Stephen

2 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

Note that, as I've commented in another thread, you can use Abobe's (free) DNG converter losslessly to reduce the size of the DNG files by approximately one-third. I've discovered that does speed display and manipulation of the image files on my late 2016 MacBook Pro (with 16GB of RAM) and using Capture One 12. Admittedly it's another step on import but can be very quick if you use a fast card reader.

Stephen

Does Adobe DNG Converter also apply the built-in profile, so that the files become usable in C1?

Note that with LR you do not need to run the files through the Adobe DNG Converter but can instead compress them after the import, in place.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Does Adobe DNG Converter also apply the built-in profile, so that the files become usable in C1?

I may not have understood the question. If so, I apologise. However:

• Capture One 12 does not currently specifically support the Q2 (although it seems to work perfectly well with Q2 files).
  • As to whether passing Q2 files through the Adobe DNG converter will affect their recognition when Capture One does support the Q2, I'm afraid I don't yet know.

Stephen

1 hour ago, Stephen_C said:

I may not have understood the question. If so, I apologise. However:

• Capture One 12 does not currently specifically support the Q2 (although it seems to work perfectly well with Q2 files).
  • As to whether passing Q2 files through the Adobe DNG converter will affect their recognition when Capture One does support the Q2, I'm afraid I don't yet know.

Stephen

Leica Q and Q2 raw files have a built-in profile that guides software distortion correction in the raw converter.

Without that correction, Leica Q/Q2's files look distorted and with heavy vignetting. Adobe products automatically apply the correction based on the built-in profile.

I wonder if C1 applies that profile on original Q/Q2's file as well or if the Adobe DNG Converter does that during the compression pass.

Just now, SrMi said:

I wonder if C1 applies that profile on original Q/Q2's file as well or if the Adobe DNG Converter does that during the compression pass.

Thanks for the clarification. It appears that the current version of Capture One 12 recognises the Q2 file as a Leica Q file—because any distortion and vignetting is cropped by the time the image appears in Capture One 12....whether or not the file has first been passed through the Adobe DNG converter.

Stephen

• Thanks 1