M8 or M9 0r other!!

D.Elk-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a load of" R " lenses doing nothing , 8 in all.from 16mm to 200mm.  Its a question which has been asked dozens of times. in the bag is an R6 and R9

What recommendations and advice can be given for a suitable digital body for these lenses via an adaptor. Its been mentioned that the M8 can no longer be serviced/repaired , True of False?

And as I see on Ebay the M9 suffers from sensor erosion and many have been replaced. Any advise would be extremely useful which way to go. Many thanks

Edited by D.Elk-C
added info

If you want to use a range of lenses, you'll must have live-view. Which is not available on M8 or M9...both wonderful anyway.

Leica M240 is best bet...very reliable, no corrosion... and, if you can find adapters takes huge range of makes.  A big-fun camera.

Forget the M8 and M9...they are for the older experts....who have the lenses and know what they are doing.  🤤

Have fun with the M240, and try some Nikkor or other brand lenses.

All best...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 27.3.2019 um 02:07 schrieb D.Elk-C:

I have a load of" R " lenses doing nothing , 8 in all.from 16mm to 200mm.  Its a question which has been asked dozens of times. in the bag is an R6 and R9

What recommendations and advice can be given for a suitable digital body for these lenses via an adaptor. Its been mentioned that the M8 can no longer be serviced/repaired , True of False?

And as I see on Ebay the M9 suffers from sensor erosion and many have been replaced. Any advise would be extremely useful which way to go. Many thanks

Fuji??

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem. DMR with R8/9 isn't a real solution, heavy and the batteries are scarce and mostly weak. Forget the M8 and M9 they have a CCD chip and only CMOS chips permit live view. Take the M typ 240 with EVF2 and adapter R to M (Leica nr:14642). Since the introduction of the M-240 the prices for the R optics are stabilized. Macro, bellow, PC-28mm and even with 400 560mm you can do the job. A special joy to revive must be your 16mm fisheye.

Since we're talking about R lenses, I'd say a Sony A7 II is probably the best choice; same resolution as the SL, but much cheaper. I keep my own A7 II around for adapting lenses to; it offers quite a lot for comparatively little money. You get the benefit of a built-in EVF over any M body - something only the SL can match. It's possible that the SL is optimised for the use of R lenses in some arcane way, but that's hard to prove, and considering the way the SL lenses are built, I'd doubt it. The A7 II does work really well with SLR lenses (and btw., getting a A7 III for that purpose is probably not worth it, so you can save some money if it's only for the purpose of adapting).

Nothing against LV on the M (240) or M10 - both work well in that respect. But they're definitely not made to be used at arm's length ... and using bigger lenses in that kind of position isn't comfortable at all.

Anyhow, if you can, try things out before you buy - it's worth knowing what you get. In the long run, a M or M10 might still be the better bet, especially if you also own M glass.

M.

MoonMind,

Not always "to be used at arm's length" with Leica M,

as stated just before your post by jimbn, EVF2 (option) can be put on M typ 240 to have eye level use.

EVF2 can be tilted upside while my Sony A7R can't be used that way, only at "arm length with LCD tilted if need be".

• 9 months later...

Thank you everyone for your views on this subject. As fate has it, a Sony A6300 came my way. Its a bit restrictive. strange really, I still prefer film and manual focusing . I am an old boy of 82 and an ex pro of 60 years, and still at it.  With tounge in cheek...try real photography !!. Thanks and Cheers to all.

• Like 1

😀 Real photography !

Really ?

We don't discus that anymore, this is so subjective depending on each of photographer's feeling.

Take the pleasure where it is "real or fake" photography 😇.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Real rubber or something else ?

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

The R lenses won't mate with the rangefinder on any M, so anything over 35mm becomes useless without the viewfinder, you would also need an R to M adapter. Either an SL(2) or CL would be your options. SL2 gives a 47mp sensor so if you want big prints go for it. But 24mp is nothing to sneeze at, so an SL or if you don't mind a cropped sensor a CL. Sl is a big camera and well liked by its users. CL is small and compact but each lens is 1.5x its nominal focal length. All three would require an R to M adapter and an M to L adapter.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2020 at 5:15 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The R lenses won't mate with the rangefinder on any M, so anything over 35mm becomes useless without the viewfinder, you would also need an R to M adapter. Either an SL(2) or CL would be your options. SL2 gives a 47mp sensor so if you want big prints go for it. But 24mp is nothing to sneeze at, so an SL or if you don't mind a cropped sensor a CL. Sl is a big camera and well liked by its users. CL is small and compact but each lens is 1.5x its nominal focal length. All three would require an R to M adapter and an M to L adapter.

You can use the M240 and evf2/olympus evf, or M10 with visoflex typ 020 and the R adapter M. Seeing how this is all manual focus I would forgo the Leica band cost for the adaptor look at a dumb adapter ie novoflex fotodiox etc......

Edited by tjh1023

• 3 months later...