Advantages of the Leica Q over the Leica Q2?

22 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Making room for Q2. I decided to compressed my RAW files.

All non dng RAWs were converted into DNG lossless compression.

My Leica DNG into lossless compression. 

Then less important photos were converted into lossy DNG. 

In the end of the process, I claimed back almost 40% of disk space

What process / program did you use to do this? Thanks. 

3 hours ago, iQ2 said:

Has anyone who converted a file to the Adobe DNG, processed that photo afterwards in another program such as Capture One?

To reply specifically to that point, yes. All my Q2 files are DNGs, are losslessly compressed using the Abobe DNG convertor and open without any problem in Capture One.

Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iQ2 said:

What process / program did you use to do this? Thanks. 

I just use Lightroom.

Lossless compression : menu "Metadata" -> "Update DNG preview and metadata" . You will save around 33-40%

Lossy compression : menu "Library" -> "Convert photos into DNG format..." -> in dialog box, make sure to choose lossy compression, and do not keep original file ! You will save around 50-60%

15 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I just use Lightroom.

Lossless compression : menu "Metadata" -> "Update DNG preview and metadata" . You will save around 33-40%

Lossy compression : menu "Library" -> "Convert photos into DNG format..." -> in dialog box, make sure to choose lossy compression, and do not keep original file ! You will save around 50-60%

Perfect. Thank you. 

19 hours ago, iQ2 said:

Thanks guys. I may be off in the weeds on this. Has anyone who converted a file to the Adobe DNG, processed that photo afterwards in another program such as Capture One? Any issues. 

This discussion may need to move to another thread about the topic. Feel free moderator. 

when i first got the Q i was experimenting  looking for the 'best' workflow.  i found no issues doing precisely that.

i obviously have no experience w/ the Q2 ymmv

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

But I don't see anything there that addresses the question of lossless degrading.

The first two "myths" partially cover the issue. That said, I have yet to see anyone demonstrate that lossless compression of a DNG file, using the DNG converter, has the effect of "degrading" a photo in any way. The whole point is that the compression is lossless. I find it difficult to prove a negative so it would be helpful for those who believe, in some way, that the lossless compression has an adverse effect to produce evidence of that. I would find it very surprising if anyone could produce anything genuinely convincing along those lines.

The fundamental question is this: why should lossless compression alter anything other than file size?

Stephen

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bags27 said:

But I don't see anything there that addresses the question of lossless degrading. Did I miss it?

It's addressed in the name: lossless.   That term has specific meaning.  I'll quote wikipedia:

Lossless compression is a class of data compression algorithms that allows the original data to be perfectly reconstructed from the compressed data. 

Perfectly reconstructed.  The decompressed item is bit identical to the original uncompressed item.

One huge advantage of the original Q is that the battery and the SD card are on the same side, behind the same door. So I can leave my RRS adapter plate on the bottom of the camera at all times. This is important because I shoot with a tripod usually, and I like the Arca Swiss/RRS clamps much, much more than the standard 1/4" screw, which is terrible. On the Q2, the battery and the SD card are on different sides, so half cases like my beloved Arte di Manos have to open up all the way across. So, to open the bottom fully, you have to take off the RRS adapter plate! OMG this is just infuriating, and makes me not want to even use the Q2 with a tripod, ever. What were they thinking? I guess the new battery is just larger, and it was easier to move the SD card to the other side. Anyway the Q2 has twice the resolution, and is waterproof, so it's awesome, but if you normally shoot with tripods, the original Q is so much better that you will never even use your Q2, no matter how much improved it is in all the other ways.

7 hours ago, Cartaufalous said:

One huge advantage of the original Q is that the battery and the SD card are on the same side, behind the same door. So I can leave my RRS adapter plate on the bottom of the camera at all times. This is important because I shoot with a tripod usually, and I like the Arca Swiss/RRS clamps much, much more than the standard 1/4" screw, which is terrible. On the Q2, the battery and the SD card are on different sides, so half cases like my beloved Arte di Manos have to open up all the way across. So, to open the bottom fully, you have to take off the RRS adapter plate! OMG this is just infuriating, and makes me not want to even use the Q2 with a tripod, ever. What were they thinking? I guess the new battery is just larger, and it was easier to move the SD card to the other side. Anyway the Q2 has twice the resolution, and is waterproof, so it's awesome, but if you normally shoot with tripods, the original Q is so much better that you will never even use your Q2, no matter how much improved it is in all the other ways.

Interesting.  I don’t share your frustration, but I can understand it.  None of my tripod adapters leave access to the SD card slot on my Q, so I always have to put on and take off the plate at the end of a shoot—regardless of which camera I am using.  Same is true for that matter when I am using my Hasselblad since it has an L bracket rather than a bottom plate.  Put on the adapter, use the tripod, take off the adapter to remove the card.  Same routine for all my cameras.  Not having to remove the plate when done shooting for the day certainly would be a nice convenience, but the hassle of pulling it off would hardly make me choose the Q over the Q2 if I preferred shooting the Q2 (which I do because the EVF is so much better).  Funny how we all have such different priorities, even when we must have similar basic requirements or we wouldn’t have all chosen this particular camera.

Edited by Jared
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cartaufalous said:

I hear your frustration, but for me, I disagree, mostly. I shoot with a tripod a lot. I did for 3 1/2 years with my Q and now do often with the Q2. I absolutely love Arca Swiss plates and use a 70mm one. I changed out the screw to one with a small circular handle on it so no tools required to remove or install it. 10 seconds max. The Q2’s much larger battery lets me go all day without changing the battery. Likewise, I use a 64GB Sandisk UHS-II SD card and it pretty much last all day. Even if I have to change one, for me it’s no big deal. Yes, the Q was easier, but they had to fit the much larger battery in the Q2. The larger battery and weather sealing around the SD card slot outweighs the inconvenience. IMHO. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 7/25/2019 at 1:25 AM, Cartaufalous said:

You might want to look into a LIM's case - it has an integrated grip (nearly identical to the Leica grip) and and integrated Arca plate and perfectly clear access to both battery and card.  It's a very well made and thoughtfully built case.  I love not having to worry with an add-on plate now or taking the case off to use a plate.  I should have been using the LIM's case for my Q as well, but was not aware of it.

There's no way I let a tripod plate be the reason for choosing one camera over another - and I'm fanatical about using a tripod.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, iQ2 said:

I hear your frustration, but for me, I disagree, mostly. I shoot with a tripod a lot. I did for 3 1/2 years with my Q and now do often with the Q2. I absolutely love Arca Swiss plates and use a 70mm one. I changed out the screw to one with a small circular handle on it so no tools required to remove or install it. 10 seconds max. The Q2’s much larger battery lets me go all day without changing the battery. Likewise, I use a 64GB Sandisk UHS-II SD card and it pretty much last all day. Even if I have to change one, for me it’s no big deal. Yes, the Q was easier, but they had to fit the much larger battery in the Q2. The larger battery and weather sealing around the SD card slot outweighs the inconvenience. IMHO. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I do like the twist off screw! Looks easier to remove and replace.

6 hours ago, bullmoon said:

You might want to look into a LIM's case - it has an integrated grip (nearly identical to the Leica grip) and and integrated Arca plate and perfectly clear access to both battery and card.  It's a very well made and thoughtfully built case.  I love not having to worry with an add-on plate now or taking the case off to use a plate.  I should have been using the LIM's case for my Q as well, but was not aware of it.

There's no way I let a tripod plate be the reason for choosing one camera over another - and I'm fanatical about using a tripod.

Interesting! I will look into this case; thank you.