Advantages of the Leica Q over the Leica Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

The correct and almost exact analogy would be advantages of the Nikon Df/D4 over the D5, of which there are some for some people.

Not sure I'd agree with the Df comparison. It's a throwback camera (plus fantastic color) that is reasonably unique in the Nikon line. I don't think the Q and Q2 comparison works as well.

As to "advantages", the Q has a smaller sensor. Most find that a disadvantage; there are some, however, who either prefer the smaller file sizes or the colors of the smaller sensor. I prefer slightly the colors out of the Q (though, if honest, it's sort of like wine tasting: before identifying "blind," best to sneak a peak at the label). But if I were buying right now, no question the Q2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Not sure I'd agree with the Df comparison. It's a throwback camera (plus fantastic color) that is reasonably unique in the Nikon line. I don't think the Q and Q2 comparison works as well.

As to "advantages", the Q has a smaller sensor. Most find that a disadvantage; there are some, however, who either prefer the smaller file sizes or the colors of the smaller sensor. I prefer slightly the colors out of the Q (though, if honest, it's sort of like wine tasting: before identifying "blind," best to sneak a peak at the label). But if I were buying right now, no question the Q2.

Df in the sense that it was the same sensor and color output as the D4, hence me throwing them together with a "/".

Q sensor size is the same as the Q2. Resolution/file size is smaller.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am tempted to pop on my Q2 on ebay the next time there's a £1 selling fee, I want the X1D back - perhaps with 30mm and 80mm 1.9 - but that's going to rip a hole in my wallet ... whether or not then I get a Q in this hypothetical situation HUM

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

You should get the awesome moon limited edition Hasselblad 907X + CFV II 50C = £ 5825 exc. VAT

that is seriously tempting, i really do want it - but there's no details about it's performance that I can find, is it the same as the X1D? I don't know

CFV II 50C is same as new X1D II 50c (same sensor and same menu system) with way faster operation, compare to original X1D-50C

Differences are :

- real digital back for vintage 500C type bodies 

- No EVF 

- Articulating touch screen to mimic classic 500C matte screen optical viewfinder

- Use same battery as X1D. Which is now in body. 

- 907X thin body, only serves as an adapter for new XC lenses. 

- optional accessories, such as external optical viewfinder and hand grip will be also available  

- of course gorgeous classic design. Mimicking 903 SWC design

Back to Q2 vs Q. 

After 4 weeks with the Q2. I would say that Q2 has 2 real advantages :

- way better viewfinder. Great OLED vs crappy LCOS. There is no match here. Because OLED is great for 100% of people. LCOS is just ok for 70% of people and is an absolute crap for 30% of people. 

- great battery life. No need to change battery constantly. 

IP52 weather sealing is a great addition. But it does not rained at all for the last four weeks... 

47MP is not a big deal. No real improvement. Really. Just better crop. But Q was already sufficient for great crop. 

The real gem is Summilux-Q 1,7/28mm asph. Q and Q2 share the same lens. Therefore the same image quality. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, dancook said:

I am tempted to pop on my Q2 on ebay the next time there's a £1 selling fee, I want the X1D back - perhaps with 30mm and 80mm 1.9 - but that's going to rip a hole in my wallet ... whether or not then I get a Q in this hypothetical situation HUM

I can follow your train of thought. Part of the reason why I sold my Q2 was it's redundancy with the XCD. As good as the Q2 files are, they aren't in the same league as the Hassy files. I don't care what DXO says, they just aren't. The 80/1.9 is epic. Mind-blowingly good. That lens alone is worth going back to the system, imo. But as you know the XCD (or XCD II) requires a complimentary camera to fulfill the shooting envelope. A Ricoh GR or Fuji X100F may work for some but those cameras don't speak to me like the Q-P does.

As for the new CFV, I agree that it's gorgeous but it's only worthwhile for folks that already own Hassy legacy glass.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

I can follow your train of thought. Part of the reason why I sold my Q2 was it's redundancy with the XCD. As good as the Q2 files are, they aren't in the same league as the Hassy files. I don't care what DXO says, they just aren't. The 80/1.9 is epic. Mind-blowingly good. That lens alone is worth going back to the system, imo. But as you know the XCD (or XCD II) requires a complimentary camera to fulfill the shooting envelope. A Ricoh GR or Fuji X100F may work for some but those cameras don't speak to me like the Q-P does.

As for the new CFV, I agree that it's gorgeous but it's only worthwhile for folks that already own Hassy legacy glass.

I quite like the look down shooting style with flippy screen, that's what's making it desirable for me :) will see where the dust settles once i've sold off anything not bolted down.

21 minutes ago, dancook said:

I quite like the look down shooting style with flippy screen, that's what's making it desirable for me :) will see where the dust settles once i've sold off anything not bolted down.

A friend went through an asset reduction program called a DI-VORCE. Don’t go that far. Your wife is a keeper. 😁

• Haha 2

My favorite focal length indoors in 28mm.  Outdoors I quite like 28mm, but I often prefer 35 & 50.  They're all important to me, and I do like a longer (75-90mm) lens from time to time (though not very often).  I didn't think the original Q could be a one-camera-go-everywhere-with-me solution for everything and hence didn't buy one.  The Q2 is.  I've sold all my other camera gear and only own the Q2. It's quite liberating! And as there is nothing to buy for it I can stop wondering if i need xxx new lens and just get on with taking pictures.

I print a lot in A4, A3 and in photobooks, and at those print sizes, even the 50mm crop of the Q2 looks about as good as a real 50mm lens and the 75mm is perfectly usable for A4 and books. Yet to try an A3 print from it.  That's the main advantage of 47MP in my opinion. 

Weather sealing was a big one for me too.  Not that I shoot in the rain but I'd be nervous about taking a non-sealed £4000 camera on a day out to the seaside - it's surprising how easy it is to get a camera splashed with sea water when photographing young children.  I've had it with a sealed Fuji and I just poured a bottle of fresh water over it straight away to rinse the salt off and just carried on.

As for the large RAW size..  A SD card still lasts as long as a battery so it's not the end of the world.  I did just turn on file compression on my hard disk though! I'm too lazy to add a step in my workflow in LR to compress them so I'll let windows do all the work :lol:

Edited by ralphh

35 minutes ago, ralphh said:

My favorite focal length indoors in 28mm.  Outdoors I quite like 28mm, but I often prefer 35 & 50.  They're all important to me, and I do like a longer (75-90mm) lens from time to time (though not very often).  I didn't think the original Q could be a one-camera-go-everywhere-with-me solution for everything and hence didn't buy one.  The Q2 is.  I've sold all my other camera gear and only own the Q2. It's quite liberating! And as there is nothing to buy for it I can stop wondering if i need xxx new lens and just get on with taking pictures.

I print a lot in A4, A3 and in photobooks, and at those print sizes, even the 50mm crop of the Q2 looks about as good as a real 50mm lens and the 75mm is perfectly usable for A4 and books. Yet to try an A3 print from it.  That's the main advantage of 47MP in my opinion. 

Weather sealing was a big one for me too.  Not that I shoot in the rain but I'd be nervous about taking a non-sealed £4000 camera on a day out to the seaside - it's surprising how easy it is to get a camera splashed with sea water when photographing young children.  I've had it with a sealed Fuji and I just poured a bottle of fresh water over it straight away to rinse the salt off and just carried on.

As for the large RAW size..  A SD card still lasts as long as a battery so it's not the end of the world.  I did just turn on file compression on my hard disk though! I'm too lazy to add a step in my workflow in LR to compress them so I'll let windows do all the work :lol:

+1. The Q2 is my always go with me camera. I still have my Canon gear and big lenses. I suppose someday I’ll downsize, but for now I enjoy both systems. 

I’ve stopped compressing my files in LR because it turns them into the Adobe DNG’s. I’m very happy overall with LR and PS, but I like having the option of moving to another post processing program should the landscape change dramatically. I keep all my files in .CR2 and Leica DNG except after photoshop which are typically .TIFF. 

6 hours ago, dancook said:

I want the X1D back - perhaps with 30mm and 80mm 1.9 - 

yes, yes. I want a Hassy too! They are so crazy easy to handle, and the UI is unbelievable. Like the TL2. Why aren't all cameras like that? And the 80 f/1.9 has to be one of the best lenses in the world.

Truthfully, I want everything. Currently having film (remember that?) being processed, and thinking about going throwback range-finder. Or Hassy digital. Or everything in between. Far too many fantastic options right now.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

+1. The Q2 is my always go with me camera. I still have my Canon gear and big lenses. I suppose someday I’ll downsize, but for now I enjoy both systems. 

I’ve stopped compressing my files in LR because it turns them into the Adobe DNG’s. I’m very happy overall with LR and PS, but I like having the option of moving to another post processing program should the landscape change dramatically. I keep all my files in .CR2 and Leica DNG except after photoshop which are typically .TIFF. 

DNG is an open source format so it should always be supported, even if Adobe goes away.  There's no difference between an Adobe and Leica DNG as far as I'm aware

Thanks guys. I may be off in the weeds on this. Has anyone who converted a file to the Adobe DNG, processed that photo afterwards in another program such as Capture One? Any issues. 

This discussion may need to move to another thread about the topic. Feel free moderator. 

2 hours ago, iQ2 said:

DNG is open source. It is the future proof solution. Most japanese companies (too proud and victims of not invented here syndrom) refuse to use it. Even worst they created proprietary RAW format, forcing software companies to reverse engineered them ! Crazy. If they do not make this work. These raw format will be supported at all.

On the other hand, DNG is awesome. It allows brand new Q2, or Ricoh GR III DNG's to be open in old Lightroom 6, without any problem at all. 

Capture One fully supports DNG 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

DNG is open source. It is the future proof solution. Most japanese companies (too proud and victims of not invented here syndrom) refuse to use it. Even worst they created proprietary RAW format, forcing software companies to reverse engineered them ! Crazy. If they do not make this work. These raw format will be supported at all.

On the other hand, DNG is awesome. It allows brand new Q2, or Ricoh GR III DNG's to be open in old Lightroom 6, without any problem at all. 

Capture One fully supports DNG 

The weeds are tall out here! Thanks. I stand corrected and am very appreciative! 👏👏👏

21 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

The weeds are tall out here! Thanks. I stand corrected and am very appreciative! 👏👏👏

Gotta watch the weeds!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Making room for Q2. I decided to compressed my RAW files.

All non dng RAWs were converted into DNG lossless compression.

My Leica DNG into lossless compression. 

Then less important photos were converted into lossy DNG. 

In the end of the process, I claimed back almost 40% of disk space

• Like 1