Leica saving paper?

MCJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received a shiny new Q2.  I opened the box and there is no manual inside, just a quick start guide.  Is this just human error on the packing side or some environmental decision by Leica?

Separately the box it comes in is damaged a bit.  I usually preserve boxes in pristine condition for resale. Will anyone really care about this?

I’ve seen this with other camera manufacturers as well, though one might expect a higher standard from the likes of Leica.  That said, do most people really delve into manuals or just us geeks??  😏

9 minutes ago, MCJ said:

This geek would use it!    Oh well.   Am I supposed to care that the box came damaged?   Will people care about that on resale?

Me too!  I ordered a hard-copy version from Leica Germany when I registered my Q2.  That was 10 days ago, so hope to be seeing it soon.

• Like 1

"... this just human error onthe packing side or some environmental decision by Leica?..."

Or just saving money Leica?  I like a manual too.  If you write to Leica they may send you a gratis hard-copy.

Of course a pdf document is convenient on your tablet also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCJ said:

I just received a shiny new Q2.  I opened the box and there is no manual inside, just a quick start guide.  Is this just human error on the packing side or some environmental decision by Leica?

Separately the box it comes in is damaged a bit.  I usually preserve boxes in pristine condition for resale. Will anyone really care about this?

Do you mean the black storage box or the grey outer box?  No one will care much about the grey box.  If it’s the black one then it depends how bad, but I wouldn’t worry.  The condition of the Q will matter orders of magnitude more than the box.

ditto with the CL, so I imagine it's the new way. I don't think it's saving paper--the boxing of everything they sell is so completely over the top. Rather, I suspect that the printed version is somewhat out of date with the first software upgrade anyway.

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

ditto with the CL, so I imagine it's the new way. I don't think it's saving paper--the boxing of everything they sell is so completely over the top. Rather, I suspect that the printed version is somewhat out of date with the first software upgrade anyway.

You are right, but Leica never update their manual after any firmware update. A shame. Just look at the Leica T and its manual. So many things has changed. 

• Like 1

Strange isn't it that we live in an all digital world. I used to get all my books and magazines digitally for a few years and now I have gone back to wanting that tactile feel so now probobly order about 50% of each. 

That said with my aging eyesight it's handy to be able to enlarge text on the tablet and also bookmark pages, that's what I have done with the Q2 so I have it on my phone and tablet. 

I am a stickler for a nice brochure and love keeping them, pity that many manufacturers have stopped. 

Flyer

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flyer said:

Strange isn't it that we live in an all digital world. I used to get all my books and magazines digitally for a few years and now I have gone back to wanting that tactile feel so now probobly order about 50% of each. 

That said with my aging eyesight it's handy to be able to enlarge text on the tablet and also bookmark pages, that's what I have done with the Q2 so I have it on my phone and tablet. 

I am a stickler for a nice brochure and love keeping them, pity that many manufacturers have stopped. 

Flyer

Very well said—my own sentiments exactly!  Thanks for putting it all in the right words.

@Flyer:

Well said. Indeed Leica saving paper, like others....

on the website I mentioned there are also brochures and tech sheets available, small download, easy printing.

I downloaded and printed for the Q.

Lex

As a general rule I think if a camera is sold with its original box it will increase its marketability. If buyers have a choice of cameras with or without their original boxes I'm sure most people will go for the ones with their boxes. It is difficult to say whether this actually increases the value of a camera as there are many factors that contribute to that value but I think that on some occasions it could - particularly with a product such as a Leica. Putting all that aside your camera and it's Leica box should both arrive in perfect condition.  I suggest you report the damage to your supplier and include a few photographs. Personally, I think it should be replaced. If you do seek a replacement it would be interesting to know how you get on.

9 hours ago, Jayk said:

Putting all that aside your camera and it's Leica box should both arrive in perfect condition.  I suggest you report the damage to your supplier and include a few photographs. Personally, I think it should be replaced. If you do seek a replacement it would be interesting to know how you get on.

I agree with you completely.  If I were in the store, I would hand it back to them and ask for another.  This was done through the mail and its a huge pain (or maybe I just dont wanna) to send back and then have to wait again (not to mention that I have it sent somewhere else for tax purposes and then sent onward to me).  So at the end of the day, I should probably just get over it.  The camera and the contents of the box are all completely fine.  The box isnt even all that badly damaged, just annoying.  The retailer offered me the option to return the item and then have to go to the end of the waiting list line for some undetermined amount of time or to send them photos of the damaged box and they will offer me some discount to just keep it.  I will likely take the discount and move on with my life.  Just annoying that the box was obviously dropped or crushed a little at some point (though not to the point that the trauma ever reached the camera).

Leica, as well as almost every other manufacturer today, realizes that most people look at the instruction manuals on line or downloaded to their computer/tablet/phone/whatever. Including a printed manual adds cost and has environmental impact ... Why waste the money when most will never look at it? They offer the printed manuals FoC when requested to purchasers of the cameras. 

It seems a sensible thing to me. I haven't looked at a printed instruction manual in over a decade, unless there was no online or PDF version available. Probably more like twenty years...! A PDF copy is much more useful: more portable, searchable, and I can annotate it with my own notes very easily, bookmark important things I might want to refer back to easily, etc. 

• Like 2

A late remark.

If I had a choice between a -printed manual-, or an -online manual that is adapted with the changes by firmware updates-

I would choose the second.

I hate to have a original printed Q manual, and the important changes by the fw updates (now at 3.1) are not in it, nor are they in the online manual....

• Like 1