No-one with hands on experience with new Pana lenses?

Joeri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's show the big guy, too. These are processed but DNGs are provided. The 50 Summilux-SL picture may appear to be brighter but it is shows the same exposure in the histogram. It's just that the Leica lens is able to capture a wider range of tones. The Lumix S 50/1.4 pictures in direct comparisons look kind of flat. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they look nice. Processed flamingos are included in the link.

Less compressed JPEGs here:  https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-fJjs52/

S1 + Lumix S 50/1.4 DNG here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g173214107-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=7xqMnyT6Mt0aS4OjtF757oW45piVrgRBdpHICyM3Kg0=

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 100 f/1.4 @1/6400 sec.

S1 + 50 Summilux-SL DNG here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g64191173-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=mkkc4WFHKbyaVLa6Z3RENIOL-RIJTApNB_GcWGGxXNk=

ISO 100 f/1.4 @1/6400 sec.

I did some comparisons between the 50 Lux SL and the 50 Lux M a while ago.

While the 50 Lux SL may optically be better, I still preferred the size, the weight and the oof rendering of the M lens.

Comparing the Panasonic 50 S lens to the 50 Lux SL (based on the provided files by Chaemono), I have to say they are both optically superb. Both are huge and heavy. 

Edited by anickpick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'Optical performance' of the Lumix S 50/1.4 is excellent but IQ, which can be a matter of taste, is more pleasing with the 50 Summilux-SL IMO. The pictures with the Leica lens just look livelier, the tonal range at the point of focus is wider. It has to do with how the light converges at the point of focus and how contrast behaves.

The camel's face in the 50 Summilux-SL picture of this pair looks livelier. And, no, the Leica pictures isn't brighter. It's equal exposure according to the histogram and the RAW files also show that the images were equally exposed. EV is set to -2/3 on the S1 in A mode resulting in the same shutter speed for the given aperture and ISO. Both pictures here are slightly cropped by an equal amount. They are processed to taste in the exact same way in LR. I copy-pasted the settings from one picture to other, including WB and color calibration. The links to the DNGs are not posted this time but can be provided. 

One of the main conclusions of the comparisons so far is that the 50 Summilux-SL will give one a superior starting point to create better looking pictures more easily. When the subject isn't lit directly by light but the background is bright (see flamingo picture), it will still focus enough light and provide more contrast at the point of focus. When the light is good, it will allow one to create more lively looking pictures.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-fJjs52/

S1 + Lumix S 50/1.4

ISO 100 f/1.4 @1/4000 sec.

S1 + 50 Summilux-SL

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"It has to do with how the light converges at the point of focus and how contrast behaves. "

Are you sure it is about the point of focus or is it simply the center for the frame?

To me it seems that the Summilux converges more light to the center of  the frame (and vignettes more - same is true for the M Summiluxes - I really like this effect).

But if one adds a bit of vignette to the Panasonic file and increases the lights slightly - it will lead to almost indistinguishable results.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Chaemono said:

'Optical performance' of the Lumix S 50/1.4 is excellent but IQ, which can be a matter of taste, is more pleasing with the 50 Summilux-SL IMO. The pictures with the Leica lens just look livelier, the tonal range at the point of focus is wider. It has to do with how the light converges at the point of focus and how contrast behaves.

The camel's face in the 50 Summilux-SL picture of this pair looks livelier. And, no, the Leica pictures isn't brighter. It's equal exposure according to the histogram and the RAW files also show that the images were equally exposed. EV is set to -2/3 on the S1 in A mode resulting in the same shutter speed for the given aperture and ISO. Both pictures here are slightly cropped by an equal amount. They are processed to taste in the exact same way in LR. I copy-pasted the settings from one picture to other, including WB and color calibration. The links to the DNGs are not posted this time but can be provided. 

One of the main conclusions of the comparisons so far is that the 50 Summilux-SL will give one a superior starting point to create better looking pictures more easily. When the subject isn't lit directly by light but the background is bright (see flamingo picture), it will still focus enough light and provide more contrast at the point of focus. When the light is good, it will allow one to create more lively looking pictures.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-fJjs52/

S1 + Lumix S 50/1.4

S1 + 50 Summilux-SL

Never mind invisible QA differences,  animal pose in both image is identical 😅 

You must be Quicksilver from X-Men to be able to change lens and capture identical image. 

Edited by mmradman
link added
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

vor 45 Minuten schrieb anickpick:

"It has to do with how the light converges at the point of focus and how contrast behaves. "

Are you sure it is about the point of focus or is it simply the center for the frame?

To me it seems that the Summilux converges more light to the center of  the frame (and vignettes more - same is true for the M Summiluxes - I really like this effect).

But if one adds a bit of vignette to the Panasonic file and increases the lights slightly - it will lead to almost indistinguishable results.

It’s how the Leica lens manages to achieve maximum contrast at the point of focus which then gradually reduces as one moves away from the point of focus. That’s what makes the 50 Summilux-SL pictures look sharp but still have depth, what allows the lens to capture a wider range of tones and to show a smooth transition from slightly darker to slightly brighter areas of very similar colors. The Lumix S 50 RAWs, on the other hand, come out looking flat and require more work in post to make them look nice.

No, it’s not vignetting. The pictures are equally exposed, corners, OOF areas show equal brightness, that’s what the histogram shows, with wider tonanlity for the Leica lens, what I keep repeating, what that JPEGs in the link show, what one can check by downloading the DNGs.

Can one emulate the look of the 50 Summilux-SL in post? Perhaps, but one will have to spend time moving sliders and swinging brushes in LR, making layer masks in Photoshop. Even then, one needs to know what to look for and it will not be the same. Considering the effort, the 3,000 USD price difference amortizes pretty quickly. 

vor 7 Minuten schrieb mmradman:

Never mind invisible QA differences,  animal pose in both image is identical 😅 

You must be Quicksilver from X-Men to be able to change lens and capture identical image. 

😀They are my friends and we’re kind enough to pose because someone challenged me that the Lumix S 50/1.4 would give the 50 Summilux-SL a run for its money. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, Joeri said:

I just bought the 24-105. Looks like a fine lens to me. AF is snappy and it's a joy ergonomically. http://joerivanderkloet.com/the-panasonic-lumix-s-24-105-f4-lens-is-here/

I'll keep you posted.

Thank you. I am expecting the lens in two weeks locally.

Very interested in your experience with the 24-105 on your CL. 

Yevgeny 

Indeed.  The M lenses are much smaller, but can suffer from various aberrations (eg, twigs against the sky).  The SL has better microcontrast, but in value for money terms (and weight) the Panasonic is a winner.  And that is before we get onto AF performance...

On 4/12/2019 at 4:01 PM, Joeri said:

I just bought the 24-105. Looks like a fine lens to me. AF is snappy and it's a joy ergonomically. http://joerivanderkloet.com/the-panasonic-lumix-s-24-105-f4-lens-is-here/

I'll keep you posted.

The scientific tests suggest that the centre is fine, but the edges are weaker.  The question is, does the rendering outweigh the edges?

24-105 on CL. +1/3 compensation in camera, adjusted it back to zero in Iridient Developer, cropped from top and bottom. ISO100 - 4.0 - 1/500 - 85. Location Janadarg near Baku at evening sun last week.

Edited by airscrew
  • Thanks 1

24-105 on CL. Had an ice cream in cafe in Gobustan National Park. ISO160 - 4.0 - 1/50 - 24. One can focus quit near!

• Like 1

24-105 first impression is quite good. I could not detect any weakness so far. The lens is lighter the the 28-90 Leica lens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

24-105 first impression is quite good. I could not detect any weakness so far. The lens is lighter the the 28-90 Leica lens.

Thank you for your beautiful images. I am curious about the O.I.S. on the CL. Does it work?

yevgeny. 

Hi there,

I see S/Sr paired with L or Pana lenses, but has anyone tried the Pana lenses  on the SL?  Don’t mean to be blasphemous but the 24-90, although a great lense, is HEAVY!  I live in hope of a worthy, lighter alternative for my SL.  

Please don’t bother with the “if you want lighter, switch to Sony” banter, I have tried - the a7rIII is too much “computer” not enough camera for me.   No offense to Sony who have created a technological masterpiece with an incredible sensor in the a7rIII but I just love the SL simplicity too much to switch.  I await the SL 2 with bated breath...

Thanks for your input. 

Edited by NDTPHOTOGRAPHY